• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Background Checks on a Domain?

Chimpie

There are a few domains that I'm interested in buying. What are some tools I can use (on my own) to see the history and value of a domain?

I'm particularly interested in the traffic it receives. I know of alexa.com, but looking for other suggestions.

Any hints or tips you want to provide are welcomed as well.

Thanks!

TNCclubman

alexa is bunk, it only displays stats for users that surf the net with its toobar. So if the owner (and 2 or 3 of his members) of a site installs the toolbar and is on his site all day, it shoots up to 'Top 10,000' in a little over a month.

kilcher

You've probably already thought of this but Googling "domain.com" in quotes like that will sometimes turn up interesting results (someone posting it on a forum to sell, etc).

Chimpie

alexa is bunk, it only displays stats for users that surf the net with its toobar. So if the owner (and 2 or 3 of his members) of a site installs the toolbar and is on his site all day, it shoots up to 'Top 10,000' in a little over a month.
Interesting. For further clarification, I'm looking for solid statistical information about a domain.

F

Floris

See what domaintools.com paid account gives you .. And simply site:domain.com in google. Or link:domain.com in bing, etc.

mrGTB

There are a few domains that I'm interested in buying. What are some tools I can use (on my own) to see the history and value of a domain?

I'm particularly interested in the traffic it receives. I know of alexa.com, but looking for other suggestions.

Any hints or tips you want to provide are welcomed as well.

Thanks!
If your looking at buying a domain based on incoming traffic, when it did previously have something running there on it. But now your buying the domain with nothing installed anymore (your not inheriting a site with it). Obviously statistics won't mean much really, because Google will start removing old pages it has indexed on that domain reducing incoming traffic daily.