• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

AzuCloud - Long Tail SEO Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke F

This addon, as requested here, adds an automatically updating tag cloud to the footers of XenForo pages of your choice using terms from incoming search engine queries ordered by popularity. In theory this should provide significant SEO benefit :)

_85l.png

zv7b.webp

inbr.webp admin-screenshot.webp

Features:

• Supports all the major search engines: Google, Bing, Yahoo, AOL, Ask, etc.
  • Highly flexible integration supports theoretically every page in XenForo along with pages added by modifications.
  • Powerful search term manager allowing you to list, search and block terms along with their hit counts and the time since last hit.
  • Filtering of search engine operators such as +word, -word, inurl:site.com
  • Everything you see in the screenshots above ;)
Installation:

1. Upload contents of upload folder to forum root.
  2. Install the addon xml file.
  3. Configure the options as necessary, though the defaults should be fine for most forums.
Updating (0.1.0 to 0.1.x):

1. Upload contents of upload folder to forum root, overwriting all files.
  2. Perform upgrade process with new addon xml file.
  3. Remove old template include (<xen:include template="dark_azucloud" />) from PAGE_CONTAINER template

Updating (0.1.1 to 0.1.2):

1. Upload contents of upload folder to forum root, overwriting all files.
  2. Perform upgrade process with new addon xml file (expect this to be slow if you have a lot of terms)
FAQ:

How do you control what pages AzuCloud is displayed on?

Rather than fiddling with individual templates, AzuCloud hooks into the main PAGE_CONTAINER template (which is used on pretty much every page) and uses its own logic to choose when it should be displayed. The two options 'Active controllers' and 'Active routes' on the AzuCloud options page are what you're looking for to change where AzuCloud is displayed. Until a better interface is developed, you will probably need a basic knowledge of PHP and/or to ask in this thread for the 'Active controllers' option to be useful (e.g. to add AzuCloud to other addons' pages). 'Active routes' should be easy enough for anyone to use, though obviously its use doesn't extend very far as it is restricted to static URLs.

How do you add AzuCloud to an addon's page(s)?
If you take a look in library/modname/ControllerPublic (usually)/whatever.php, the class definition right at the start is the controller name (in the case of XenMedio, EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Media), then you can take your pick of what actions to include out of the functions available (actionIndex, actionMedia, etc.)

So for example you could add something like this in the Active Controllers setting:

Code:
EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Media:index,media,mediaComments,categoryView,categories,playlists,mediaView,mediaComments

Changelog:

0.1.2 (11/12/2011):
  • Optimised tag cloud generation query
  • Significantly optimised admin tag listing query
0.1.1 (11/12/2011):
  • Fixed error log spam ('undefined index: host')
  • Added template hook (no edits required any more)
  • Search terms are now censored
0.1.0 (28/01/2011):
  • Added an admin option (default on) for keywords containing the full board URL with or without www. to be silently rejected.
  • Added an admin option (default on) to filter out search engine operators such as +word, -word, ~word, inurl:site.com
  • Please note that existing terms will need blocked manually as these filters are not retroactive and only apply to incoming queries.
0.0.3 (23/01/2011):
  • Action and route matching is now case-insensitive, fixing compatibility with a number of other addons.
0.0.2 (03/12/2010):
  • Added order options (hits, last clicked, alphabetical) to the search terms admin panel page.
  • Added slight optimisation to the global query.
  • Improved route matching system, making trailing slashes optional (fixed canonical issue).
  • Fixed AzuCloud being displayed on error pages.
  • Fixed hits to read 'hit' for single hit terms.
  • Reduced number of terms per page in the admin panel to 50.
0.0.1 (01/12/2010): First public release

Donations go here. :)

Attachments

I've installed it and it started to record the searches. Do we need to do a template edit in order to see this:

zv7b-png.6782

Also It would be nice if someting above would be avaliable for the sidebar (count the recent 10 - 20 search terms)

Oops, forgot the template edit :p

Added it to the OP now.

I made the template changes and I now see it on the thread. I also attempt to add it to the forum_list but didn't work :)

Hope it would made avaliable for the sidebar (count the recent 10 - 20 search terms)

Please, can somebody confirm that this improves SEO and it's not taken as keyword stuffing? I don't know if I should install this.

I made the template changes and I now see it on the thread. I also attempt to add it to the forum_list but didn't work :)

The pages it is enabled on are controlled by the Active Controllers and Active Routes options, not by templates. PAGE_CONTAINER is global.

And unless I have made some stupid mistake, it should work on the forum list already. Keeping in mind it isn't displayed at all until there is at least one search term to display.

Hope it would made avaliable for the sidebar (count the recent 10 - 20 search terms)

I'll consider that for a later release :)

Please, can somebody confirm that this improves SEO and it's not taken as keyword stuffing? I don't know if I should install this.

If the vBulletin mod this is based on is anything to go by, it seems to be safe enough.

The pages it is enabled on are controlled by the Active Controllers and Active Routes options, not by templates. PAGE_CONTAINER is global.

And unless I have made some stupid mistake, it should work on the forum list already. Keeping in mind it isn't displayed at all until there is at least one search term to display.

I'll consider that for a later release :)

If the vBulletin mod this is based on is anything to go by, it seems to be safe enough.

There more than one, but isn't appearing unfortunately. I'll keep watching your thread for the last 10 & 20 search terms feature.

It would also nice if we could find out which search engine and the page it comes from could be visible in the AdminCP.

There more than one, but isn't appearing unfortunately. I'll keep watching your thread for the last 10 & 20 search terms feature.

Just tested and it's working fine here :/

Could be a character encoding issue or something...

There are Turkish characters in the search terms, is there a way to override that ?
That means you are getting Turkish readers seaching and finding your page. You can ban them from the ACP if you don't want those terms to show.

Keyword stuffing is a static procedure where a person stuffs their pages with specific keyword phrases in order to capture search engine traffic, whether the page is relevant or not. This does exactly the opposite, in that it only lists keyword phrases that your page is already being found for, AND, it changes them dynamically depending on how many you have showing and how many keyword phrases are being used to find the page. The most used should float upwards and become the heaviest that the page uses, the rest should disappear.

What happens is that next time a search engine spiders the page, it finds those exact keyword phrases that page is already being found for, and its purpose is to improve the terms relevance by providing a direct match, thus the page moves up in rankings.

See the major difference here? One is manipulating search rankings for terms the page may or may not be relevant for, forcing search engines into providing traffic to a page for a term that may not be relevant vs. this only captures terms the page is already being found for naturally, and helping to boost those terms up the rankings, not literally influence and manipulate a page for a term you have chosen. The search engines are still choosing which terms your page is being found for, not YOU.

DI.... haven't installed it yet, but awesome as always. Will install now.

Where do we find the controller in a mod? I know its easy to just ask what they are, but I would rather learn where to find them...

I use the xenmedio mod and want to include it onto those pages...

DI... installed, tested, and working like a charm and instantly capturing search phrases. As offered... funds transferred via the same source as last time. Very much appreciative of your work and effort to build this.

Received, thank you very much! :)

There are Turkish characters in the search terms, is there a way to override that ?

I'll investigate that for the next release :)

Where do we find the controller in a mod? I know its easy to just ask what they are, but I would rather learn where to find them...

I use the xenmedio mod and want to include it onto those pages...

If you take a look in library/modname/ControllerPublic (usually)/whatever.php, the class definition right at the start is the controller name (in the case of XenMedio, EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Media), then you can take your pick of what actions to include out of the functions available (actionIndex, actionMedia, etc.)

So for example you could add something like this in the Active Controllers setting:

Code:
EWRmedio_ControllerPublic_Media:index,media,mediaComments,categoryView,categories,playlists,mediaView,mediaComments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom