XF 1.2 Avatar uploading?

Ludachris

I just tried uploading an avatar here in the Xenforo forums just to see how it would handle a GIF file that wasn't square in dimension - many of the imported avatars from our vB installation will be GIF files. Anyway, I got this error as soon as I selected the file from my pc, which is the same file I'm using on my vB installation:

"The contents of the uploaded image do not match the file's extension."

Why would this happen? I figure I might as well learn since my users might be getting the same error.

And yet I was able to upload it as an avatar in vB, yet XF throws an error. Why does XF spit out errors for this? Can I turn that off so that users don't encounter this?

I checked the file type by right clicking and checking properties and it says File Type: .gif. I don't have photoshop on this laptop. Strange. I tried renaming the file but the properties still say .gif and I still can't upload here.

And yet I was able to upload it as an avatar in vB, yet XF throws an error. Why does XF spit out errors for this? Can I turn that off so that users don't encounter this?

XenForo must know the correct file type because it needs to create smaller versions of the uploaded avatar. Most often the correct extension is used when a person prepares an image for uploading.

I checked the file type by right clicking and checking properties and it says File Type: .gif. I don't have photoshop on this laptop. Strange. I tried renaming the file but the properties still say .gif and I still can't upload here.

You need to use a program like Photoshop to determine what type of image the file is if the extension is incorrect, as it is in this case.

Top Bottom