EQnoble

Just wondering if the allowed file size for avatar uploads has changed just recently. If not I think there may be a bug, I don't know so I post here until someone can definitively say either way.

OK I'm about to sleep but if I'm not clear as to what my issue was ill try and replicate it tomorrow...

I had an avatar who's file size was 130 kb and went to upload another that was smaller substancially and it said that I exceeded the maximum file size of ??( i don't remember exactly) I had switched my avatar twice without navigating away from the page I was at if that makes any difference. If there isn't an obvious thing to explain this I will capture my screen to display what I saw if I can duplicate it again.

There is a max size in bytes (after resizing to the largest size), to ensure that avatars don't get too large. I believe it's 30k, which generally should fit within the 192px-wide dimensions, unless it's a big animated GIF. This is configurable per group.

That max size is after resizing though, yes?

What I meant was when I browse to a file on my PC for uploading, is there a maximum limit then?
I haven't had any problems uploading files in excess of 1MB, 3,000 pixels or more.

I also got an error-message when changing to another Avatar, saying something like "file-size too big".

However, the image I uploaded was just a few KB.

Then I tried again to upload the same image and then it was working fine.

Looks like a bug somewhere........

Ok this is what i'm looking at

too_big.png

and then here's whats confusing me... the avatar I'm currently using is like 5 times the size of the one I'm trying to use as seen here..
image2.png

image1.png

They're at different dimensions though. We resize the 400x400 one down and that gets inside the file size we need; the 192x192 one is within the limits, so it doesn't get resized and is too large. We may investigate resizing when the dimensions are ok but the file size isn't, but that's a future thing.

Top Bottom