Not a bug Avatar Upload

stevesant

I did a search, and did not see any mention of this. I'm not really sure if this is a bug or suggestion, so feel free to move this as necessary.

When uploading a new avatar, it seems that once the upload is complete, the image is automatically set as the avatar, before hitting 'Okay.' Even if I hit 'Cancel' after the upload, my avatar remains the newly uploaded image.

The correct behavior seems like it should wait for the 'Okay' button to be clicked to actually set, and if 'Cancel' is clicked, keep the current avatar.

Also, the checkbox to delete an avatar seems very unintuitive. A checkbox usually relates to enabling a setting, whereas removing an avatar is taking an action. Perhaps add a third radio option (remove my avatar/no avatar), or a button (delete avatar).

Why would you need to confirm your upload other than when/if you accidentally choose the wrong file?

Why would you need to confirm your upload other than when/if you accidentally choose the wrong file?
Shouldn't that be reason enough?

My original issue was what if I change my mind after seeing my image resized/cropped? For example, I first uploaded my current avatar as a PNG with transparency, and realized it was converted to JPG. I wanted to fix the background (the transparency went to black), and was stuck with an ugly image until I could make the change. (yes,I could have removed it in the meantime, but that's more work! :p)

However, I think the biggest issue is that there are Okay/Cancel buttons. From a user experience standpoint, it doesn't feel right to have it automatically update my avatar without me clicking Okay or Cancel. That buttons make me feel like I can confirm the change. If there were no buttons, I suppose it wouldn't feel as strange. But at the very least, the Cancel should revert back to the previous avatar.

However, I think the biggest issue is that there are Okay/Cancel buttons. From a user experience standpoint, it doesn't feel right to have it automatically update my avatar without me clicking Okay or Cancel. That buttons make me feel like I can confirm the change. If there were no buttons, I suppose it wouldn't feel as strange. But at the very least, the Cancel should revert back to the previous avatar.

Good point - the buttons should be removed at the very least.

Auto uploading is quite important to the system; regardless, it wouldn't support cancelling back to your previous avatar (we don't keep it).

I have changed "Cancel" to "Close", as it doesn't undo what you did (it doesn't save your avatar cropping unless you click okay though).

Top Bottom