1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Avatar/Profile picture size

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by BassMan, Jan 23, 2014.

1. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

I've set the max avatar size for registered members to 40kB.

But I can upload an image with over 1MB if I want. I can't figure out what is wrong.

Can someone help me, please.
  2. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

You said you set it to 40 KB for members in the Registered user group, but how about the other user groups?
  3. BassMan

I'm testing with a member that is only in that user group. Really can't figure out the problem.
  4. BassMan

Ok, I think it's a bug or something. Example of my test:

I'm testing with 200kB picture. Is I set 13312 bytes (13kB) or less it will block the picture from uploading.

But if I set it to 14336 bytes (14kB) or more it allows me to upload that 200kB picture.

I hope staff will check this. @Brogan?
  5. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Images may be altered during upload, putting them under the limit you set.
  6. BassMan

Why avatar size limit then?
  7. BassMan

So, what can I do about it? Because I've set this differently for registered and premium users. If size limit works like says above, then I have to delete this feature from my premium options.
  8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The size refers to the after resize (to the proper dimensions). Otherwise, you'd be forcing everyone to do their own resizing really. However, it still lets you keep the bandwidth in check, particularly if people upload an animated GIF for example (if relevant).

It's not a particularly obviously limit or "bonus" really.
  9. BassMan

Ok, thank you for explanation.