Not a bug  Avatar Blurry in postbit.

Shelley

This has been niggling at me for ages now. If you look at my avatar it appears very blurry whilst if you look at it via my members card it's sharper and size correctly. any reasons why avatars are resizing and looking blurry in the postbit?

I'm assuming it's a re-sizing issue though I've tried 100px square (the size it's being re-sized to) and still it's blurry.

They do all resize to specific dimensions, Kier mentioned that avatars in here are more aimed at photos than gifs etc.

Mine looked atrocious so I created a special one for here with the normal sized image on a white square, I think it has to be 96 x 96 or something.

I am sure i tried 96px by 96px and measured the avatar box which is set at 100pixel square but still some kind of re-sizing is occurring. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the member card size at 200px and it's blowing it up to this size causing the low quality in the images by re-sizing in the postbit. I'll try 96px square in a second but I'm 100% sure i tried these sizes and it didn't help.

It's just the way sampling and resizing works.
Some images are better suited to it than others.

I didn't see the original avatar for comparison, but as Brogan said, it's can be the nature of resampling. Even cutting out just a few pixels can take something sharp and destroy it (take a 16x16 image down to 12x12 as an example).

The images are 192/96/48.

Comparison below. The membercard sample really does have better quality than in the postbit.

Attachments

• membercard_postbit_comparis.webp
    membercard_postbit_comparis.webp
    11.3 KB · Views: 28
The image in the card (and profile) is 96x96, 3.74kB
242.jpg

http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/l/242.jpg?1281187421

The image in the postbit is 96x96, 1.91kB
242.jpg

http://xenforo.com/community/data/avatars/m/242.jpg?1281187421

That explains the reduction in quality/fidelity.

My Avatar is a bit blurry in the postbit, as well. Nothing too bad, but it's certainly noticeable after comparing it to my profile picture.

Top Bottom