1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug Avatar Blurry in postbit.

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Shelley, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

This has been niggling at me for ages now. If you look at my avatar it appears very blurry whilst if you look at it via my members card it's sharper and size correctly. any reasons why avatars are resizing and looking blurry in the postbit?

I'm assuming it's a re-sizing issue though I've tried 100px square (the size it's being re-sized to) and still it's blurry.
  2. Mark.B

Mark.B Well-Known Member

They do all resize to specific dimensions, Kier mentioned that avatars in here are more aimed at photos than gifs etc.

Mine looked atrocious so I created a special one for here with the normal sized image on a white square, I think it has to be 96 x 96 or something.
  3. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

I've been trying to figure this out as well.
  4. Shelley

I am sure i tried 96px by 96px and measured the avatar box which is set at 100pixel square but still some kind of re-sizing is occurring. I'm wondering if it's something to do with the member card size at 200px and it's blowing it up to this size causing the low quality in the images by re-sizing in the postbit. I'll try 96px square in a second but I'm 100% sure i tried these sizes and it didn't help.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

6. Shelley

Okay. 96px worked should have checked the source. Thanks mark and brogan. :)
  7. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

Why don't you try a size smaller than 96px? 92px or 90px maybe?
    Do you get the same results?
  8. Ahmed

Ahmed Well-Known Member

Yep, just after my above post.
    Glad it worked for you.
  9. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Don't know why the clarity of the avatar would be affected in this way. IMO, it's a bug.
  10. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

I don't think this a bug, but is working as designed. Moved from Suggestions to bring to the attention of the Developers.
    Abomination likes this.
  11. Brogan

It's just the way sampling and resizing works.
    Some images are better suited to it than others.
  12. Sami

Sami Well-Known Member

96² and no improvement. Oh well.
  13. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

I didn't see the original avatar for comparison, but as Brogan said, it's can be the nature of resampling. Even cutting out just a few pixels can take something sharp and destroy it (take a 16x16 image down to 12x12 as an example).

The images are 192/96/48.
  14. Shelley

Comparison below. The membercard sample really does have better quality than in the postbit.

Attached Files:

15. Brogan

16. Quillz

Quillz Well-Known Member

My Avatar is a bit blurry in the postbit, as well. Nothing too bad, but it's certainly noticeable after comparing it to my profile picture.