XF 1.4 Automatic rich text conversion

adante

Howdy,

I'm a newcomer to XenForo, and work at an engineering company where we use XenForo to make sometimes lengthy, technical posts. These contain quite a few tables, images, code snippets and bullet points.

The in-built editor is a bit painful to use for these (particularly as we are frequently updating/reorganising content), and as the obvious "paste from MS Word" does not work well, I just wanted to ask if there was any established way of being able to edit posts in a more full-fledged editing environment and have this automatically (or as automatically as possible) converted to a format expressible in XenForo?

I've seen a couple of 'word to bbcode' generators out there and some discussion about HTML BBCode plugins, but just wanted to check if there was any well established best of breed for this sort of thing? It doesn't have to be word, but something comparable in editing capability would be desired.

Thanks!

The built-in rich editor will convert to BB code when possible, but not everything can be represented in BB code. Tables for example are not supported with XF BB code so table layouts will be broken when you rich-paste into the editor.

Is the editor failing you? Or is the problem that you need more BB codes? Here are all of the BB codes:

BB Codes | XenForo Community

You can also create custom BB codes:

Admin CP -> Home -> Custom BB Codes

The built-in rich editor will convert to BB code when possible, but not everything can be represented in BB code. Tables for example are not supported with XF BB code so table layouts will be broken when you rich-paste into the editor.

Is the editor failing you? Or is the problem that you need more BB codes? Here are all of the BB codes:

Hey Jake, thanks for the reply, I am mainly just looking for a more fully featured editor to manage tables, images, code snippets and bullet points. When I paste from word, these features (tables, images, bullet points) in particular do not get translated over properly.

The BB Code is 'okay' personally (although I am substantially faster in Word/LaTeX) but other users may struggle more. Tables in particular are painful to manage (as there is no WYSIWYG editor and the tagging is quite onerous). Obviously I understand there is a limit to what can be done and I don't expect an editor as featured as Word, but was just wondering if others had a similar experience and if there were any convertors around.

Thanks cclaerhout. I've just had a go, while the fullscreen editor is really nice (gets rid of the scroll-within-scroll edit hell I find myself in).

However so far I can't seem to get the paste&upload integration working which is a bit of a dealbreaker for me, but I'll keep experimenting.

edit: Noticed it says it only works with firefox which is a shame. I'm guessing it is different from the XenForo inbuilt one, which seems to work with chrome.

Last edited:
Top Bottom