• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Auto Title Link has suddenly stopped working for most domains

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#1
Some links are still being converted properly to link with link title. But a lot of links from domains that worked fine before are no longer being processed.
I have checked the setting and it is on. Since some links still convert, this was obvious.
I have tried disabling all plugins and that has not solved this issue.
I have tried restarting my VPS and again no use.

I can only assume that this feature use curl command or something and my VPS' dns server seems to be failing to fetch the title tag for the links. My VPS is very restricted (Dreamhost 🤯) so I cannot change dns servers to check if that helps.

Just wondering if there anything else I can try to troubleshoot this issue. Thanks!
 

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
#2
Try the image proxy tester with an image from one of those domains (or even a page link directly, depending on the specific error message you get). I have a feeling this is more likely to be related to SSL and perhaps your server not having the SSL certificates setup in PHP as expected.
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#3
Code:
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/photo/msid-34824568/34824568.jpg could not be fetched or is not a valid image. The specific error message was: Unable to Connect to tcp://timesofindia.indiatimes.com:80. Error #110: Connection timed out
I am using Dreamhost's internal Let's Encrypt mechanism for HTTPS on my domain broadbandforum.co. Title fetching was working fine 2-3 days ago! I switched to https pretty long time ago so kind of confusing what could be messed up on my server configuration. Any suggestions on what I should look for? DH VPS is fairly restrictive so I do not have SUDO on my VPS.

It does work fine with another major Indian news publication:

Code:
http://www.hindustantimes.com/rf/image_size_320x180/HT/p2/2017/08/28/Pictures/food-joints-at-delhi-metro_fbb64382-8c1c-11e7-b1bc-83ce932a2009.jpg was fetched successfully.
Amongst many others as it has been doing since this feature was introduced!
 

OperaManiac

Well-known member
#4
An update. Turns out the problem was with Dreamhost. Their IPv6 connections are messed up. Taking up too much time. So the domains that support IPv6 including Google were timing out causing this issue. I removed the IPv6 IP associated with my domain and the problem has more or less disappeared.

Thanks for contacting DreamHost. Sorry to hear about the problems you
have been experiencing. It sounds like you are running into the IPV6
issue we have been having in the east coast data center lately. Outbound
connections to IPV6 enabled sites are taking a long time to connect and
as a result timing out scripts. We are working to get this resolved and
hope to have it fixed by Monday. Sorry for the inconvenience.