Authy 2FA One-touch authentication set up help

Earl

I'm trying to set up Authy One-touch authentication, and I still couldn't make it work.

It says to use Authy I have to create an Authy API key in the Twilio console dashboard.

I created a test application and added a user.

Do I have to create a firebase app and provide its credentials in order to make the push service to be working?

And it seems like I have to create an app, and add users, etc, etc.. then again Twillio is asking to verify phone numbers for each step (more than to protect the Twilio account itself)
I'd like to know, will this information go public? Will my users be able to see them?

Will this Authy one-touch authentication stop working after the trial get expired? (I just created a free trial account in twillio.com)

After the issues I've had with Authy (and them FINALLY admitting their app was the culprit) with simple 2FA and not reading my sites QR code, I don't recommend it.
As for the setup of the app for any more than the default 2FA, looks like you have to pay as they need a phone line of some type to contact the app with for the push services, and I'm pretty sure they aren't going to give you that for "free" for more than a short period to suck you in.
YubiKey and @digitalpoint's add-on work so much better.

I never even tried setting up Authy. Google and Microsoft Authenticator both work with XF's Verification Code via App option and don't require any special setup beyond that. The user can set up their device fairly easily by QR code.

I never even tried setting up Authy. Google and Microsoft Authenticator both work with XF's Verification Code via App option and don't require any special setup beyond that. The user can set up their device fairly easily by QR code.
The Authy app allows that format also (simple QR code 2FA or inputting the number provided). This is a totally different format of logging in that involves a communications being sent over a line to the app apparently.
Similar to what the YubiKey does, but the YubKey is a USB device that stores the credentials on it (or can on a server also depending on how set up).
The benefit of the Authy app for normal 2FA for me was the fact it backed those keys up for you (encrypted) and you had an account you logged into. So if you "lost" your device or upgraded and forgot to export your existing 2FA codes you could still recover them.
Now, if you have an iPhone (don't know about Android) 2FAS (which I started using when Authy failed to read my QR codes) offers a similar feature, saving your codes in your iCloud account.

Last edited:
Top Bottom