Add-on Auctioning addon - preferred method of payment?

Naatan

Hi, I have an upcoming addon called XenAuction, which as the name implies adds auctioning functionality to XenForo.

Currently the addon is in it's final stage but has no payment integration. I plan to integrate it with paypal but am trying to figure out the best way of implementing this. I'd like to know from people interested in using this addon what method of payment they would prefer?

Here are a couple of options:
  • A - Completely manual, allow users to configure a message that details payment instructions - the auctioning addon does not facilitate the payment process itself

Problems with this method:
    • The addon has no way of tracking completion status, users will need to manually update their auctions.
    • Users will need to come up with their own payment solutions, which might be preferable by some but for many this can be a deal breaker.
    • Forums can't charge a percentage of the earnings.
    • You can end up with buyers that don't actually make their final payment.
  • B - Pre-charged "wallet" system, users will need to charge their account before they are able to place bids or buyouts. When they loose an auction the funds will be refunded to their forum wallet account.

Problems with his method:
    • Users can end up with funds on their account without having a way of spending it
      on something they want.

• C - Process payment upon winning an auction

Problems with this method:
    • You can end up with buyers that don't actually make their final payment.
Option B can be more viable if a method was implemented where users could "withdraw" funds.

Option C can be more viable if a rating system was implemented where you have buyer and seller rating and sellers were able to set a minimum seller rating.

Personally I'm in favour of option B right now, but it's also the most complicated to implement.

What are your opinions? (feel free to add an option of your own ;)).

Option B where a member (aka 'buyer') funds their account with "x" amount of "credit" (points mod, wallet points, etc) and credit/points are purchased via PayPal.

Of course giving choice is never a bad idea. But I'm only a one man army and there are only so many hours in the day ;) What I'm after right now is what everyones preferred choice is. That's not to say I won't add the other options at a later date, it just means it probably won't be in the first version.

Option C

Look... eBay kid of has this market cornered .... If you want to make even a footnote ... Pick something other than paypal. I know dozens of people who love or like myself, who did love eBay, but none of us use it or can ever use it... Why? Paypal.

Doesn't matter what alternative you pick. As long as paypal isn't the default standard... You'll have a valid argument for using your modification or service, over that of eBay.

Option C

Look... eBay kid of has this market cornered .... If you want to make even a footnote ... Pick something other than paypal. I know dozens of people who love or like myself, who did love eBay, but none of us use it or can ever use it... Why? Paypal.

Doesn't matter what alternative you pick. As long as paypal isn't the default standard... You'll have a valid argument for using your modification or service, over that of eBay.

Other gateways are to follow, that's not what this topic is about though.

Option C

This option already using in digital point forums successfully with vBulletin. If I think about myself, I don't like a wallet system because the problem that you have mentioned in the first post.

I suggest to add a buyer/seller feedback system with this add on and hope this add on will have to the auction system or Buy it now system like in DP.

I really like the sound of this...would you be able to add another option to where you can have the admin define his/her own payment system? For instance, 'points'. Jimmy bids 32 'points' on 'Item A' and wins, Jimmy gets a PM from the seller(automated) saying he won, and they should now configure the transaction.
Would be for an out-of-forum transaction.
If that makes any sense :P

Option C?
You can enable something like this:
'If the winner does not make the payment within a specified time, the runner up be the winner?'

I'm not a fan of this, when you have lost an auction as a bidder you perceive the money you invested as returned and you can choose to invest it in another auction. To then receive your old auction again which you lost would just be bothersome.

Overall, I think that XenForo auctioning addon is really good idea - I've been looking for such thing for a long time.
Maybe, it will make some sense if you should take into consideration commercial mod from Vbcover - modmaker studio (Auction mod for VB).
About option B - its higly deamanded feature, because of own banking and payment system. However, potentially complicated in setting-up and designing.

@Naatan - Did work on this..? almost been 1year.. :D

Fyi I have open sourced the addon I made for this quite a while ago as I have no time or interest in working on it any further. This has not been tested with the latest XF version, is no longer maintained and I provide no support for it. You've been warned.

https://github.com/Naatan/XenAuction

source: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/auction-bidding-system-for-xenforo.34464/#post-645841

https://github.com/Naatan/XenAuction

Top Bottom