XF 2.0 Attachments not showing in emails

The Grand Potentate

not really sure where to post this but all of my notification emails that involve attached images are showing up like this:

Main Window 2018-04-17 15-54-11.webp

i have no clue how to resolve this one.

It's likely just your mail client, unfortunately.

1523997288939.webp

They may block images from senders the client doesn't trust, or not in your address book or there may be certain settings controlling it.

We didn't actually attempt to render attachments inside XF1 emails.

1523998139493.webp

Significantly, in this example (a separate mail client), the email would be viewed in the context of a guest (the email client isn't logged in) so the image wouldn't load. But of course if you use a webmail client, that runs in your browser, where you're logged into the site, so it would render the image (as per my previous screenshot).

But if it's a remote image, I'm not convinced it would have changed.

Here's a remote image in a conversation in XF1 and XF2 in a separate mail client:

1523999112343.webp

Most mail clients will have a setting about loading external content:

1523999181306.webp

"Load remote content in messages" in this case is enabled, if it were switched off:

1523999254927.webp

interesting. it sort of seems hit and miss as to which attachments are showing up and which aren't. my email client seems to be setup to show remote content. the inconsistency seems to be unexplainable though.

Behaviors 2018-04-17 17-10-30.webp

Well, as I said, if it's a separate mail client, it's unlikely it would work for any conversation attachments - e.g. attachments uploaded to your server. Unless you have physically logged into your forum via your mail client, you'll be treated as a guest. Guests won't be able to view attachments which are attached to a conversation you're part of. If you have the view attachments permission enabled for guests and an attachment is attached to a post in a guest visible forum, and you receive a watched thread reply email, they'll likely show properly.

Well, as I said, if it's a separate mail client, it's unlikely it would work for any conversation attachments - e.g. attachments uploaded to your server. Unless you have physically logged into your forum via your mail client, you'll be treated as a guest. Guests won't be able to view attachments which are attached to a conversation you're part of. If you have the view attachments permission enabled for guests and an attachment is attached to a post in a guest visible forum, and you receive a watched thread reply email, they'll likely show properly.
thanks for the excellent explanation chris.

chris

i’m having this same problem... i’m an admin on our board and watch certain forums. some email notifications have images hat get downloaded and displayed locally, some have links back to the attachments on our board. i can’t figure out why.

i also don’t understand what you mean by ‘logged into your forum via your mail client’... our xf setup sends an email notification. why does it care who or what it’s sending to? how would a stand-alone email client ‘log in’ to a forum?

btw... when i toggle the ‘view remote content’ pref in my apple mail, the avatar images turn on and off.. but no change to the inline images (which means they’re not remote) or links back to origin attachments.

i want to receive ALL post images when i receive an email notification... where might this be configure? how can i do this?

thx,
sorry if i’m missing something obvious!

ok, reread the prev. email and figured out the webmail thing... but the images are simply not included on SOME emails, whether checking in my browser/webmail or email client.

i've got our message board whitelisted in both client and third-party spam protection app... which shows incoming messages as 'good'.

i'd really like to figure this out... anybody?

are there any settings in XF for email notification attachments? should this be a new thread? help, mr. wizard!!! 🆒

p.s.: 'view attachments in posts' is explicitly set to yes for guests and admins...

Last edited:
funny... i had forgotten that i asked about this a while ago and came here looking for answers today! 8-)

still getting some alert emails with images, some not.

i'm using mac mail on my laptop, and have an iPhone 11 pro.... on both, when viewing source, the image tag is (for example):

1609702125698.png

instead of the full/correct/direct url:

https://mb.nawcc.org/attachments/1609702125698-png.630477/

why would some alerts offer the full url and some not?

btw... the specific example cited is from our 'moderators & admins' forum.... off to check local permissions.

anybody?

some of the email alerts come through as 'quoted-printable'... breaking the links to the attached images.

other emails display the images correctly.

any suggestions as to where might look to configure quoted-printable settings? or why this might be happening (other than karma)?

thx.

Top Bottom