attachment restrictions

Alice

I was just trying to add a noavatar resource and found that the attachment restriction has been halved to 512Kb, bit annoying since I enquired about an increase not so long ago but that is up to you guys here. Can we have .rar file extensions allowed please, it is getting ridiculous attaching larger files, I have to make split .rars and then zip the split .rars, it's getting to be a real nuisance to be honest.

Really, that's infuriating, the people posting such images would have a fit if it happened on their sites, how rude, you guys should be ashamed of yourselves for behaving like that, how rude.

We really need to implement per-filetype limits - I've seen four one-megabyte images attached already today.

I'll make it a priority item.

Are you going to add automatic file resizing?  Let's say I only want to store files that are 725px.  If a user uploads a 3000x2000 file, the software will automatically resize it to 725.

Can we have .rar file extensions allowed please, it is getting ridiculous attaching larger files, I have to make split .rars and then zip the split .rars, it's getting to be a real nuisance to be honest.

What about people who don't have winrar? I always use winrar and use it to make mine a zip extension for others because I can't assume others have paid for winrar just because I have. You know you can do that, I know it's an extra click but it does help those who don't have that piece of software.  

7zip is free and archives better than .rar
and it opens everything including .rar
i use it for many years
adding files of more than 140kb is killing any forum

We really need to implement per-filetype limits - I've seen four one-megabyte images attached already today.

Hang on a minute folks. Not everyone is internet-savvy and it is not uncommon for digital cameras to churn out 3-4Mb images. I would prefer to see an overall limit per user, rather than per file. Otherwise two things happen. One, members who just don't know how to resize a jpg give up, stop sharing and your forum starts to die. Two, you get endless posts or PMs asking you, how do you attach an image it says it's too big - which generates more time/hassle than an aggressive file limit is supposed to stop :)

One of the main things I'm hoping to do with the forum I want to create is to allow large photo files (mainly landscapes of a country community being created from a 5000 acre ranch). I'd prefer to be able to set overall limits or limit the number of photos per user as well.

Either way I'm more impressed with this product than any of the others I've looked at.

Hang on a minute folks. Not everyone is internet-savvy and it is not uncommon for digital cameras to churn out 3-4Mb images. I would prefer to see an overall limit per user, rather than per file. Otherwise two things happen. One, members who just don't know how to resize a jpg give up, stop sharing and your forum starts to die. Two, you get endless posts or PMs asking you, how do you attach an image it says it's too big - which generates more time/hassle than an aggressive file limit is supposed to stop :)

I would guess 75%+ of my users don't know how to resize images.

7zip is free and archives better than .rar
and it opens everything including .rar
i use it for many years
adding files of more than 140kb is killing any forum
I would guess 75%+ of my users don't know how to resize images.
And while 7zip is free, like turtile mentioned, most of those same people don't know how to use an unzipper of any kind. Or if they do, they use the one that comes with windows. At least if it's a zip file, they stand a chance of unzipping it with windows. 

Liz 

I run an image intensive forum, and I have the limit set to 10 MB. That handles the 3 and 4 MB images common off digital cameras fine.

And even with some 250,000 images/attachments over the past three years, it's only 40 something GB of disk space used (the forum serves approximately 850k attachment and attachment thumbs daily, making up about 1.3TB of transfer monthly). Is size limiting really necessary these days?

I run an image intensive forum, and I have the limit set to 10 MB. That handles the 3 and 4 MB images common off digital cameras fine.

And even with some 250,000 images/attachments over the past three years, it's only 40 something GB of disk space used (the forum serves approximately 850k attachment and attachment thumbs daily, making up about 1.3TB of transfer monthly). Is size limiting really necessary these days?

Whats your backup strategy? How often do you backup everything up?

Just to keep it on the radar :) I still say it's FAR better to do the image resize ON USER's machine via the upload tool rather than resizing on the server. As mentioned above, the vast majority of non-internet savvy folks have no clue how to resize an image and they just get frustrated by upload limits and having it take fooooorever to upload if you have your limits set high.

Images are REALLY important since so many folks have high Megapixel cameras in their smartphones now, and they often just want to post an image and a few bits of text. One of the jobs of a modern forum system IMO should be to make that as painless as possible. It would also save a ton of bandwidth and storage for admins/forum owners ;).

I know Kier said he was going to look at plupload, it would allow user machine resize to be used, and it's by far the best uploader I've seen... And very jQuery friendly to boot! :)

Whats your backup strategy? How often do you backup everything up?

I have a cron job on the backup machine that first does a MySQL dump, then an rsync. To copy the data.

I have all my tables as InnoDB (with a couple as MEMORY for who's online and flood control). Having all my tables as InnoDB allows me to use the --single-transaction parameter to mysqldump. This allows MySQL to take a consistent snapshot without downtime or delay. I also pipe mysqldump through gzip to reduce the disk writes, which makes the writing of the backup, then the rsync faster.

The rsync will occasionally get new attachments that the data set doesn't know about, and occasionally an avatar might be lost (old one gets deleted after the new one is created; they have unique filesnames), but that's it.

The backup is approximately 500 MB (450 MB of which is the compressed MySQL dump).

The backup is run at daily approximately 5 AM EDT/EST, as that's when traffic is the lowest.

What about people who don't have winrar? I always use winrar and use it to make mine a zip extension for others because I can't assume others have paid for winrar just because I have. You know you can do that, I know it's an extra click but it does help those who don't have that piece of software.

Very good point honey, hmmm, I have used WinRar to zip files but the split function doesn't work on the version I have when I archive to zip file extensions, no need for sarcasm with the extra click comment!

Very good point honey, hmmm, I have used WinRar to zip files but the split function doesn't work on the version I have when I archive to zip file extensions, no need for sarcasm with the extra click comment!
Alice, wasn't meant as sarcasm, sorry you read it that way, just a statement cause it's true, it does take an extra click. However, I always split mine before zipping so I guess I never ran into that issue.

Top Bottom