XF 1.5 ATTACH=full vs ATTACH

Bill Stuntz

When uploading a photo from my PC, the photo is inserted with a simple ATTACH code. When re-inserting a previously uploaded photo, it defaults to ATTACH=full.
I don't want full size photos inserted except for special purposes. That default bugs me. Is there a way to change the default when re-inserting previously uploaded photos? I want admins/mods to be allowed to insert full size photos, but the default should be thumbnails. They should have to manually insert "=full" into the ATTACH tag to force it to display full size, instead of having to manually remove the automatic "=full" to force a thumbnail. 99% of the time, they want thumbnails, not full size photos. We use slightly larger than normal thumbnails (250px) to minimize the need for full size photos in posts. They're big enough to see a bit more detail, but not so large as to overpower the text.

I'm already using it. It works perfectly for freshly uploaded images by removing the option to insert full-size. Insert Attachment 1.6 is set to insert thumbnails. Convert Image 5.6 is also set to insert thumbnails. But when the image is selected from previously uploaded images by an admin/mod, it's inserted with "ATTACH=full" and the other addons don't strip out the "=full" because admins/mods have (and need) permission to insert full size images. I'm trying to figure out how to remove the "=full" when the old photo is inserted rather than stripping it out for users who don't have that permission, or prevent the "=full" parameter from being inserted in the first place. The admins/mods should have to manually insert the "=full" if they want it (since they don't have an "insert full size" button either) instead of having to remember to switch into bb-code mode to delete it before they save the post that includes an old photo. 99 times out of 100, it should be a thumbnail, but we need to be able to override it's "thumbnailness" that one other time. We should have to insert it one time out of 100 instead of having to remove it 99 times out of 100 when previously uploaded photos are re-used.

P.S. It's not a problem for me, for a couple reasons:
I almost never try to reuse photos because I can find the photo I want on my own PC in a few seconds compared to a few minutes it takes me to find it in the disorganized list on the MB.
I understand what's happening, and I know that I'll need to set it as a thumbnail.

But that's ME. The other admins/mods are always surprised when they get an unintentional full-size image because they're so accustomed to the fact that new photos are automatically inserted as thumbnails. They don't understand why re-using an old photo is different from uploading a fresh copy. I don't want them to ever see a full-size image unless they intentionally make it full-size - or someone else did.

I've thought about removing their "full-size" permission, but that won't work - editing a post that requires full-size images would corrupt the post because the images would be converted into thumbnails.

Last edited:
Top Bottom