Lack of interest "At least X characters" shouldn't count [QUOTE][/QUOTE]

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
I'm quoting nothing :D

This is definately a bug... Because this posts content looks like this:
Code:
[quote="Robbo, post: 172539"][/quote]
I'm quoting nothing :D

This is definately a bug... Because this posts content looks like this:

This is about not counting BB code as characters, which in general is a different approach and potentially changes some other things.

There are other ways to create a blank post, such as via color or a broken image (well, or a valid transparent one...). As per usual, the fact that something is possible doesn't always mean that there has to be 100% technical solutions for it. This usually comes up with censoring, but the concept is the same here.

Generally from what I have seen in other forums there is a simple (well obviously not that simple) method which will trim and remove all bbcode then check if the string is empty. Would add a little more to validation but I don't really see the problem. I also see it as an extremely minor bug so don't really care anyway.

Well, you could also put something in that quote ;) It doesn't need to be empty.
Then it would still be clutter. A pet peeve of mine is having to scroll through quote boxes when the quoted post is immediately above.

Seeing as it's a minor issue for some while other people actually use it to their benefit, I'd hardly call it a bug.

This is about not counting BB code as characters, which in general is a different approach and potentially changes some other things.

There are other ways to create a blank post, such as via color or a broken image (well, or a valid transparent one...). As per usual, the fact that something is possible doesn't always mean that there has to be 100% technical solutions for it. This usually comes up with censoring, but the concept is the same here.
Well yeah, I got no problems with the white post.
But this just seems so f***** up :/

I agree with Mike, they didn't code it otherwise, this is behaving as designed, ergo: not a bug.

That said, I think if you strip out empty bbcode upon submit, that you have 0 characters -- which should error.

Opening a thread pressing left icon and pressing submit .. should error (in my opinion) that the thread you are about to submit is empty.

I think this is not a bug report, but a suggestion to strip out empty bbcode, and after doing that, if so at 0 characters the 'empty' error should appear.

I can understand why it may or may not be regarded as a bug, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I do believe the suggestion to ignore (opened and closed) BBCode when checking for characters is valid. It makes the most sense.

I can understand why it may or may not be regarded as a bug, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I do believe the suggestion to ignore (opened and closed) BBCode when checking for characters is valid. It makes the most sense.

(Hope it's open to bump a closed suggestion.)

I wouldn't call this a bug at all but I'm not sure why this is "as designed". What is the use case of allowing users to post nothing but a quote?

The reason why I searched for this suggestion is because I've seen quite a few instances where someone replies with a quote but they didn't add anything so all everyone sees is a quote. My previous reply to this thread (above) is exactly what it looks like. I don't see the point of allowing such posts.

Now what I think is happening is that maybe the user is clicking on reply then clicking "Post Reply" by mistake. What's the best way to prevent this from happening? It's happened at least a dozen times so far on my site. I'm 100% sure it's user error (and maybe some of them are doing it intentionally to get their post count up) but I think this is a use case that should be prevented.

Last edited:
Top Bottom