1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest "At least X characters" shouldn't count [QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Vincent, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Vincent

Vincent Well-Known Member

If you post a reply just saying [QUOTE][/QUOTE], the reply is posted. It will show an empty reply box :p

I suggest that you don't count BBCode into the "At least X characters" function :D

Note: this also happens with [PLAIN][B][U][I] etc.

Test the bug here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/hello.13200/

Grover likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is more of a suggestion.

3. Vincent

A blank post looks more like a bug to me mate? :S

4. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

5. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

I say bug^

6. Vincent

I'm quoting nothing :D

This is definately a bug... Because this posts content looks like this:
    Code:
    [quote="Robbo, post: 172539"][/quote]
    I'm quoting nothing :D

This is definately a bug... Because this posts content looks like this:

7. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

I sometimes use empty quotes to trigger alerts without thread clutter (ie: when my post is directly after the one I'm quoting).

8. Vincent

Well, you could also put something in that quote ;) It doesn't need to be empty.

9. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Using a bug doesn't make it any less of a bug.

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Calling designed behaviour a bug doesn't make it a bug.

11. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is about not counting BB code as characters, which in general is a different approach and potentially changes some other things.

There are other ways to create a blank post, such as via color or a broken image (well, or a valid transparent one...). As per usual, the fact that something is possible doesn't always mean that there has to be 100% technical solutions for it. This usually comes up with censoring, but the concept is the same here.

12. Robbo

Robbo Well-Known Member

Generally from what I have seen in other forums there is a simple (well obviously not that simple) method which will trim and remove all bbcode then check if the string is empty. Would add a little more to validation but I don't really see the problem. I also see it as an extremely minor bug so don't really care anyway.

13. yoghurtfarmer

yoghurtfarmer Well-Known Member

Then it would still be clutter. A pet peeve of mine is having to scroll through quote boxes when the quoted post is immediately above.

Seeing as it's a minor issue for some while other people actually use it to their benefit, I'd hardly call it a bug.

14. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

15. Vincent

Well yeah, I got no problems with the white post.
    But this just seems so f***** up :/

16. Vincent

I'm sorry guys, but I still think this is a bug :D

17. Floris

Floris Guest

I agree with Mike, they didn't code it otherwise, this is behaving as designed, ergo: not a bug.

That said, I think if you strip out empty bbcode upon submit, that you have 0 characters -- which should error.

Opening a thread pressing left icon and pressing submit .. should error (in my opinion) that the thread you are about to submit is empty.

I think this is not a bug report, but a suggestion to strip out empty bbcode, and after doing that, if so at 0 characters the 'empty' error should appear.

18. dutchbb

dutchbb Well-Known Member

I can understand why it may or may not be regarded as a bug, depending on how you look at it. Either way, I do believe the suggestion to ignore (opened and closed) BBCode when checking for characters is valid. It makes the most sense.

Vincent likes this.
  19. cmpe

cmpe Active Member

20. cmpe

cmpe Active Member

(Hope it's open to bump a closed suggestion.)

I wouldn't call this a bug at all but I'm not sure why this is "as designed". What is the use case of allowing users to post nothing but a quote?

The reason why I searched for this suggestion is because I've seen quite a few instances where someone replies with a quote but they didn't add anything so all everyone sees is a quote. My previous reply to this thread (above) is exactly what it looks like. I don't see the point of allowing such posts.

Now what I think is happening is that maybe the user is clicking on reply then clicking "Post Reply" by mistake. What's the best way to prevent this from happening? It's happened at least a dozen times so far on my site. I'm 100% sure it's user error (and maybe some of them are doing it intentionally to get their post count up) but I think this is a use case that should be prevented.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013