Astrophotography

I got some of the total eclipse in August 1999 in Zonguldak, Turkey.

I used a cheap Canon SLR with film and a mahoosive zoom with two doublers on a cheap wobbly tripod - unfortunately I didn't have a good enough filter and the film speed was too high, so they were a bit over exposed.

Got some decentish ones ... at the expense of not actually seeing the eclipse.

These are scans of the negatives.

0012.jpg

0014.jpg

0024.jpg

I know a guy in the US who just got back from New Mexico where he viewed this one and has a trip for the 2024 one booked.
This one was pretty good for my area. My location was not that far off the main path of it (down near Fredericksburg, TX). The 2024 will be the same, and it appears that it has a very similar path to this past one.

Ho-Hum.. more fun working the discovery of the universe.

Pacman 123023.webp
Owl Nebula_01142024.webp

NGC 1893_011824.webp
Pleiades_DBE_only.webp

The cosmos is amazing... and it is surprising what you can find with a small investment in hardware and a desire to extend ones knowledge. We don't recognize what is out there when we simply look at the stars.. it takes the addition of what offers more than our simple senses do.

With the number of stars and galaxies observable... are we so self-centered to think we are the only intelligent race in the universe?

I got some of the total eclipse in August 1999 in Zonguldak, Turkey.

I used a cheap Canon SLR with film and a mahoosive zoom with two doublers on a cheap wobbly tripod - unfortunately I didn't have a good enough filter and the film speed was too high, so they were a bit over exposed.

Got some decentish ones ... at the expense of not actually seeing the eclipse.

These are scans of the negatives.

View attachment 292717

View attachment 292718

View attachment 292719

That sounds like quite an adventure! It's a shame you couldn't fully enjoy the eclipse in person, but it's awesome that you managed to capture some decent shots despite the challenges with equipment and exposure. It's a reminder of how even imperfect conditions can lead to memorable experiences and photographs. Do you still have those photos? It would be fascinating to see them, even if they're scans of the negatives.

Top Bottom