1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not a Bug "assigned_to" Should Be Title Case

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Amaury, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

For consistency:

2. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is consistent with prepositions not necessarily being capitalized. (You could argue that it's the last word, though the value of the label is significantly attached.)
    Amaury likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why I reported it, though I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the label is attached.
  4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Hey, Mike!

I know these things can be easily changed in the phrases to fit people's personal desires, which I have done, but I was thinking: isn't this an inconsistency? "From" is also a preposition, but it's capitalized here, so shouldn't the "to" in "assigned_to" be capitalized for consistency?

Or does this go back to the whole "it's not internally inconsistent" thing you've brought up before?

Thanks. :)
  5. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

With title case, when it comes to prepositions one convention is to capitalise those with four or more letters.

There are various conventions as you will see from that page. The important thing is to pick one and try to be consistent.
    Amaury likes this.
  6. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Right. That's a very good point. :)

I go by the Chicago Manual of Style, which says to capitalize everything in a title, except prepositions regardless of length unless they're at the beginning or end (e.g., "A Trip about Going to the Store from My House with a Bucket" is a good book), which means the "to" here would be capitalized since it's at the end, but it looks like XenForo is going by a different style. :)