1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 Asking for advice...

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Bonsai Coder, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Bonsai Coder

Bonsai Coder Active Member

I currently have a site up at www.bonsainut.com/forums (a vbulletin install). I normally have 70+ users active at peak times of the day.

I am going to be installing xenForo... and I think I want to install it in the root.

Is there any way I can creatively install xenForo in the root where no one can see the site until it is done? I.e. keep directly all traffic to the old site until I "switch" the site on?

This would require me to be able to access the site in the root somehow - even when all the rest of the traffic is being forwarded to the subdirectory.

2. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Why not just install it in a subdomain and swap when ready. It would be easier with no real caveats versus trying to work around something odd.

3. Bonsai Coder

That is what I would LIKE to do... but I'm not sure how to do it. Install everything into a subdirectory and once it was all exactly how I wanted it just copy it into the root? Is it that simple?

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

5. Bonsai Coder

OMG I just did it in my test bed. It IS that simple :)

6. Brogan

Why?

That's not necessary.

7. Liam W

Liam W Well-Known Member

Mixing up different knowledge areas.

8. Bonsai Coder

Final question.

I have my "test bed" installed at www.wifeofnerd.com

I am installing my final site at www.bonsainut.com

Can I keep the test bed up for 24 hours before deleting it? Just in case I need to refer to something I did there? Or do I need to uninstall it completely before installing it in my new domain?

9. Brogan

10. Bonsai Coder

Thanks Brogan... it will be gone in a few hours regardless.

11. Bonsai Coder

Brogan you DO have to change the board URL in options. There are a few things that still refer to it, so if it doesn't point to the new location in the root, you will get some bad links.

I am specifically referring to conversation emails - the links in them will be bad if you don't update the URL.

12. Brogan

I know.
    It specifically mentions that in the FAQ, which I linked to.

What you don't have to do is change it before you move the files, which is what Liam suggested and who I was responding to.

13. Bonsai Coder

Hmm... I will EVENTUALLY find out something about this software that you don't know... or that you haven't written about in a FAQ. And then I will GLOAT! Bwah hahahaha.... (evil laughter)

melbo likes this.