Areas where XenForo fails

Not having a PROPER converter for IPB 3.2 and vB 4.1.x - whats the point trying to compete with others if your potential members can not transfer to you. And have to go buy other licenses to try and get to use your software?

1. LOGOUT TIMEOUT HANDLING is crazy illogical - contradictory display, unhelpful sequence GRRRRRR!
When I timeout it is crazy to see a message saying I am not logged in when my username display top right is flatly contradicting this. It makes this top display dishonest and untrustworthy as I never know if it is true. Bad feeling to associate with XF.
I have to overcome the psychological signal of the displayed username, and click to logout when I'm logged out!!!! Then I have to click to login - in a different location. Totally confusing for any inexperienced user. It's also a FREQUENT annoyance. For further insult I don't return to my original location and have to navigate back to where I was before.
I once tried to upload an image on a post and got an error message as if there was a problem with the file. Turned out I wasn't logged in but I had no way of knowing that.

Suggestion. If I click on something when I've timed out then simply pop up the login fields. Because obviously if I'm clicking to do something then I want to be logged in.
My username should switch to "Login" if I'm not logged in - maybe even a highlight or flag alert.
The system should hold my last location and return me to it.

2. NAVBAR MANAGER. Arrange the order of the Navbar tabs. Hide. Add New. Add dropdown.
In admin drag n drop the nav tabs on a small diagram.Or just order them like ordering the node tree, with numbers.
Textfields to Rename.
Red crosses to Hide. Click to unHide.
Option to add dropdown with fields to add links and their labels.

3. GLOBAL SIDEBAR as default. Sidebar selection on location, and edits.
List of key templates to Untick to Hide sidebar on that type of page (note to explain what this template governs).
List of components with tickboxes to Hide/ unHide per section (template) or per category or per node.
Textarea to add html block.
A system for importing blocks which others make.

4. XF PAGES. Great as a basic but screams for a few additions.
a) BBCode editor. For fast creation and updates. For delegating to mods who do not have html.
b) "Read more ..."
c) Pagination.
With this a lot of the pressure for a CMS would reduce as this would cover basic CMS service.
d) (Add-on for citations)

5. NODE TREE ordering - show numbers on top level in textboxes to edit and update.
Tree should allow for inclusion of further components like wiki, gallery, blog pages or any add-on component.

6.ALERTS
a)When I click to open an item on the dropdown it shouldn't instantly cancel the others as Unread.
b) Add a "Mark all as Read" -esp. for when I've read them all as email notifications.
c) Move the bars currently at the bottom of the dropdown to top under title. Same under Inbox and Status update.

7. WHAT'S NEW should be global as default. Admin to opt out selected components.

Not having a PROPER converter for IPB 3.2 and vB 4.1.x - whats the point trying to compete with others if your potential members can not transfer to you. And have to go buy other licenses to try and get to use your software?

There wouldn't be too many database changes in vBulletin 4.1 compared to vBulletin 4.0 (let alone 4.0 vs. 3.8). Most of the 4.x converts these days were likely 4.1 anyways.

1. LOGOUT TIMEOUT HANDLING is crazy illogical - contradictory display, unhelpful sequence GRRRRRR!
When I timeout it is crazy to see a message saying I am not logged in when my username display top right is flatly contradicting this. It makes this top display dishonest and untrustworthy as I never know if it is true. Bad feeling to associate with XF.
I have to overcome the psychological signal of the displayed username, and click to logout when I'm logged out!!!! Then I have to click to login - in a different location. Totally confusing for any inexperienced user. It's also a FREQUENT annoyance. For further insult I don't return to my original location and have to navigate back to where I was before.
I once tried to upload an image on a post and got an error message as if there was a problem with the file. Turned out I wasn't logged in but I had no way of knowing that.

Suggestion. If I click on something when I've timed out then simply pop up the login fields. Because obviously if I'm clicking to do something then I want to be logged in.
My username should switch to "Login" if I'm not logged in - maybe even a highlight or flag alert.
The system should hold my last location and return me to it.

2. NAVBAR MANAGER. Arrange the order of the Navbar tabs. Hide. Add New. Add dropdown.
In admin drag n drop the nav tabs on a small diagram.Or just order them like ordering the node tree, with numbers.
Textfields to Rename.
Red crosses to Hide. Click to unHide.
Option to add dropdown with fields to add links and their labels.

3. GLOBAL SIDEBAR as default. Sidebar selection on location, and edits.
List of key templates to Untick to Hide sidebar on that type of page (note to explain what this template governs).
List of components with tickboxes to Hide/ unHide per section (template) or per category or per node.
Textarea to add html block.
A system for importing blocks which others make.

4. XF PAGES. Great as a basic but screams for a few additions.
a) BBCode editor. For fast creation and updates. For delegating to mods who do not have html.
b) "Read more ..."
c) Pagination.
With this a lot of the pressure for a CMS would reduce as this would cover basic CMS service.
d) (Add-on for citations)

5. NODE TREE ordering - show numbers on top level in textboxes to edit and update.
Tree should allow for inclusion of further components like wiki, gallery, blog pages or any add-on component.

6.ALERTS
a)When I click to open an item on the dropdown it shouldn't instantly cancel the others as Unread.
b) Add a "Mark all as Read" -esp. for when I've read them all as email notifications.
c) Move the bars currently at the bottom of the dropdown to top under title. Same under Inbox and Status update.

7. WHAT'S NEW should be global as default. Admin to opt out selected components.

1 - I notice that too, It's always logged out, even when I select the box in login, even here in xenforo, if I get away for 15min I need to login again --'

2 - It's quite true, it's an FAIL there needs an Addon for change the NavBar.

3 - SideBar positions and configuration is madness, we got some MODs but for change them in sidebar... argh, something like WordPress for change the SideBar MODs and Positions.

6 - It's "lol" this alert boxes, the way it mark all read only for open the box, and when we try to read the alerts and we got many, we get lost easy because just need to read one for they all get read.

7 - I Like What's New For recent topics, but It SHOULD be options in What'sNew for see about activity, members, status, instead of all in one that makes things a bit messed up.

2 - The nav bar can be changed easily with template edits, I don't see that much of a need for a navbar manager. A mod will suffice.

3 - Sidebars are very developer friendly, I love them. I haven't used them in any other software that are this easy and powerful. So I like them :)

6 - Agreed, annoying

I would like to add, probably mentioned in this thread, drag and drop ordering of anything with display order in the ACP. Kind of expected this for 1.0.

I bought this software over a year ago in the hopes of getting an Event Calendar and User photo albums in the near future. I still havent gone live with the 2 copies I bought and they're just sitting on a shelf (virtual lol). I think I bought in too early. There were alot of implementations of ideas early on, but for the past year it just became bug fixes with no major features.

You buy for what is currently available, not what may or may not be coming. Kier said as much. I don't remember any Calendar or Photo is promised.
For any thing I NEED that is not available, I paid people over here to create one for me.

I'm MAD. Why can't we choose the number of itens every time it fetch the RSS FEED?

We used now and see that he is posting 5 of a time D:

You buy for what is currently available, not what may or may not be coming. Kier said as much. I don't remember any Calendar or Photo is promised.
For any thing I NEED that is not available, I paid people over here to create one for me.
It must be, how is going Xenforo to be the best forum software if they got offers that xenforo doesn,t have?

I determine XF to be the best forum software for my need and I don't care what functions other software have. If you need those features, use those software or hire a coder to make one for Xenforo.

I determine XF to be the best forum software for my need and I don't care what functions other software have. If you need those features, use those software or hire a coder to make one for Xenforo.
Most of people that WANT to be in xenforo but can't, say samething, they need to convert things like blogs, albuns or calendars, and then they can't because for use xenforo they must loose all of that. (there are some mods, but with problems and aren't flexible enough).
By the way, how much costs to hire an xenforo programmer? There is any for hire?

2 - The nav bar can be changed easily with template edits, I don't see that much of a need for a navbar manager. A mod will suffice.

3 - Sidebars are very developer friendly, I love them. I haven't used them in any other software that are this easy and powerful. So I like them :)

6 - Agreed, annoying

I would like to add, probably mentioned in this thread, drag and drop ordering of anything with display order in the ACP. Kind of expected this for 1.0.

Robbo yes navbars and sidebars can be changed in templates - but it took me hours to work out how. There are lots of admins know even less than I do about it.
Plus the hours I put in were spread over about two weeks. For many admins they don't want to spend much time tweaking code, begging for help and waiting hours or days to get it on each point. I know that sounds hard - this is a lovely community - but a lot of admins want to just get on with running their own communities. Tweaking code is time consuming and if you're running a business or a busy social community you don't have that time.

Drag no drop ordering is grand I agree.

I bought this software over a year ago in the hopes of getting an Event Calendar and User photo albums in the near future. I still havent gone live with the 2 copies I bought and they're just sitting on a shelf (virtual lol). I think I bought in too early. There were alot of implementations of ideas early on, but for the past year it just became bug fixes with no major features.

Very surprised at you doing that, I would never buy any software on the grounds that I'll only start using it when certain other features are there to be used with it.

Robbo yes navbars and sidebars can be changed in templates - but it took me hours to work out how. There are lots of admins know even less than I do about it.
Plus the hours I put in were spread over about two weeks. For many admins they don't want to spend much time tweaking code, begging for help and waiting hours or days to get it on each point. I know that sounds hard - this is a lovely community - but a lot of admins want to just get on with running their own communities. Tweaking code is time consuming and if you're running a business or a busy social community you don't have that time.

Drag no drop ordering is grand I agree.

Not only that, which I agree with you on. Not all forum owners are clued up about doing things like that. But you have to remember also that any manual hacking of code has to be reverted back in most cases when upgrade time comes around. That's why it's always best to have those things default in the software itself.

Also, about using Mods! Already on this forum I've read tons of threads with people reporting bugs and having problems. When it turned out to be Mods they are using. Using mods to get features is all well and fine, but they never get supported the same way that feature would be when part of the software itself, nor do you ever really know the competence of the modder - "did that mod you just installed maybe create a huge security hole" in your forum?

Over the years I've seen many a forum get hacked (because of mods) they used.

Not only that, which I agree with you on. Not all forum owners are clued up about doing things like that. But you have to remember also that any manual hacking of code has to be reverted back in most cases when upgrade time comes around. That's why it's always best to have those things default in the software itself.
Is that why AdminExtra has only had roughly 5 template edits in the last 2-3 upgrades taking her only a few minutes to fix? .........

Why would 1.0.x releases have new features? It wouldn't be considered stable at that point. o_O

There are plenty of new (major) features added, just not the ones you want. ;)

I've read through most of these and I feel 'fail' is a bit harsh. Most of these features that I've read, not all, stem from a feature of a different software who have had 5-10+ years on XenForo. I am sure some of these things will be done, but if the devs had waited for all this stuff to be as jam packed as possible, we would still be waiting for an initial release!

I've read through most of these and I feel 'fail' is a bit harsh. Most of these features that I've read, not all, stem from a feature of a different software who have had 5-10+ years on XenForo. I am sure some of these things will be done, but if the devs had waited for all this stuff to be as jam packed as possible, we would still be waiting for an initial release!

I agree. I would personally like the title to be changed. Xenforo fails is catchy but inaccurate.

Xenforo holes .... ?

Xenforo itches ...?

Xenforo missing bits ....?

Top Bottom