Are you looking for an old school forum or a socialmedia/forum?

TNCclubman

Quick poll to see if you want an old school (post/reply) forum or if you want a complete system like facebook/twitter out of xenforo.

I agree with Ceri, however dont see it becoming a social platform. Its so far on par with a standard forum which is what people want. When you start adding in all these social bookmarking, facebook connect style things it becomes bloated. As I stated in another thread, I feel those kinds of things should be left as mods. I'd be willing to bet that most (serious) php developers would agree.

I think keeping social media in mind is integral considering how web applications are progressing; however, I also think constant attention must be maintained to keep social interaction contained, by that I simply mean using social resources as a proactive means to spur community involvement. Not just implementing third-party APIs for bells and whistles.

I want a social media experience for my members. I feel the old school forum is an antiquated technology that even my old school members find boring. We need to get with the times or our members will just keep spending 90% of their online time on FB and twitter. Its no longer just go on a site and discuss things, it creating friendships and tracking what people do in a community.

I want a social media experience for my members. I feel the old school forum is an antiquated technology that even my old school members find boring. We need to get with the times or our members will just keep spending 90% of their online time on FB and twitter. Its no longer just go on a site and discuss things, it creating friendships and tracking what people do in a community.

And how would you do that?

FB is killing my site.. My members seem to be making more and more posts along the lines of "new Pics on my fb page check it out here www.fbblablabla If we cant compete with it we will get taken down by it.. I was once able to use Myspace to plug my site and it worked great, but facebook is different. I still use it to push the content on my canine forums but i cant compete with the hundreds of other members that are doing just the opposite..

We need a new and solid forum for our employer around the world. (Internet and Intranet)
Items for social platforms must be disable by ACP.

For me privat it can be fully with all social platform "gimmicks" :)

FB is killing my site.. My members seem to be making more and more posts along the lines of "new Pics on my fb page check it out here www.fbblablabla If we cant compete with it we will get taken down by it.. I was once able to use Myspace to plug my site and it worked great, but facebook is different. I still use it to push the content on my canine forums but i cant compete with the hundreds of other members that are doing just the opposite..

Well is this necessarily a bad thing? Facebook has a superior photo management system, and they probably always will - you can use this knowledge to your advantage, it's not the photos you are interested in, but the discussion of the photos. This is how third party APIs become important for forums!

I like the direction XF is taking RickM and Danny.VBT mention thirdparty APIs don't make a forum social, features like private conversations, following people, being notified when quoted/mentioned etc help with user engagement and participation. So far it seems XF is getting features like this quite well :)

Why don't you encourage the use of attachments, albums or a gallery in your forum? Or even the use of stylized thumbnails to image hosting sites in a post tend to work relatively well :/

And how would you do that?

by hoping xenforo is a great social media experience first... and forum second. Lets face it. A great forum only script is good for members to discuss a topic. Thats it. Getting people to spend hours onyour site per day and hence generate $ through advertising you need to engage them alot more than that. xenforo's features are doing that I feel. I'm excited to throw my hat in the bag here.

i was making more of a statement. Actually so far what i see here on xF, it should suit my needs as it is now. My goals for the future are to scale back. As far as pushing my own gallery or attachments.. i have my own image host that is widely used on my site.. that pictures was just one example of a trend im seeing.. Frankly if the truth be known Facebook isnt killing my site.. vB is killing my site. Since the 4.0 downgrade things break on a daily basis.. my "Contact the staff" and "Site Feedback and Support" forums seem to be the most active now days.. :(

I have access to download vB4.0 but still havent. my vB 3.8 is great. Plus my custom theme, social feeds, and photo tagging cost me too much to just dump for 4.0 stripped down. No thanks. I think Im done with vB... I'll ride out my vB 3.8 heavily customized until xenforo is ready...

I have access to download vB4.0 but still havent. my vB 3.8 is great. Plus my custom theme, social feeds, and photo tagging cost me too much to just dump for 4.0 stripped down. No thanks. I think Im done with vB... I'll ride out my vB 3.8 heavily customized until xenforo is ready...

M 4.0 forum is pretty heavily modified and thats why its broke.. and with each and every new build it breaks more and more. i never had this problem with the 3.8 series. I used to be able to fix anything that came my way. Now days the issues just continue to pile up on me.. Im really just sunk but refuse to give up.. Depending on price xF will be my salvation. (i hope) ;)

I love feature rich forums.. As a member they are my favorite. esp in the WGO and profile areas. But thats not the end all be all of forum software. First thing is first the product has to work and most of us know thats just not the case with vB anymore..

I'm looking for forum software - I'm not trying to be facebook, and I don't need all the extra junk that is extraneous to an actual forum. I don't need a CMS that just regurgitates what's already on my forum, I don't need to host 8,000 albums of crap for my members. I need well coded forum software. If I wanted a social network forum I'd upgrade my vb licenses...

I'm looking for forum software - I'm not trying to be facebook, and I don't need all the extra junk that is extraneous to an actual forum. I don't need a CMS that just regurgitates what's already on my forum, I don't need to host 8,000 albums of crap for my members. I need well coded forum software. If I wanted a social network forum I'd upgrade my vb licenses...

what forum features are you looking for here that arent present anywhere else?

Businesses and forums about products, the sciences, engineering, history and so one I think want to be a forum first with CMS and transaction processing if they are a buiness.

Game forums, fan forums, and forums meant to be social or pure entertainment I think benefit from the social networking aspect of it.

Well is this necessarily a bad thing? Facebook has a superior photo management system, and they probably always will - you can use this knowledge to your advantage, it's not the photos you are interested in, but the discussion of the photos. This is how third party APIs become important for forums!
Managment, maybe. Quality? No. Bad compression on the images, and try to back the pics up easily w/o a 3rd party tool.

Top Bottom