XF 2.1 Are users supposed to be able to delete their own account?

DigNap15

I have had a couple of members appear with a red Traffic STOP sign

And today, one member emailed me and asked me to close his account.
I said OK, give me a while.
Then when i went to ACP Users and searched he was not there.
And several memebrs asked me where his comments have gone?

No, it is not possible for members to delete their own account.

Even if it were, deleting a user's account does not remove their content.

The first place I would check is whether you have any other moderators or admins who might have deleted the content or user. Next is whether you have installed any add-ons surrounding self account deletion/deactivation.

The first place I would check is whether you have any other moderators or admins who might have deleted the content or user. Next is whether you have installed any add-ons surrounding self account deletion/deactivation.
Thanks Chris
I only have one add-on installed and that is a the Content Reaction by Xon.
I am the only admin and I have no moderators yet.
I do have one developer who helped me install the Add on I gave him Admin rights last week.
But I don't think he would delete a user.

I do hope you never make it possible for users to Close their own account it would cause chaos.
I don't know how he did it I think he is a really old guy. (older than me!)

And I had just told some of my members that a member cannot close their own account.

Loving Xenforo otherwise!
What do we do know, just wait to see if it happens again?
Is there a database integrity option to run?

So how come an old guy was able to get in and delete his user account and his posts!

I told my members that me Admin is the only one who caa delete a user.
I am now looking silly, they won't believe anything I say.

Check the administrator/moderator logs? Also make sure you don't have permission set for users to delete their own posts.
Thanks I will check the logs
But as I said I am the admin and I do not have any mods yet
Also Chris said that users cannot delete their own account, so why would there be a permission to allow it.
Can you point me to it?

Deleting posts != deleting users ;)
There is a permission for deleting posts, but none for deleting users (such a function does not even exist on frontend).

There isn't in the core, if you mean for delete own account.

You must have an add-on installed (or had one installed at some point and uninstalling it hasn't removed it properly).
Yes thats what I understood
There is no way I'd like my members to ever be able to self delete their account
But one guy did a few days ago
And somehow a couple of member turned into Red Stop sign avatars

Sounds like you need someone trusted to take a look if you're not sure of what to look for. Maybe for a small fee @MySiteGuy can log in and see if anything is amiss.
I would provide him with the email and username of the person you think deleted themselves and posts. Also reference the stop signs you are talking about.

Sounds like you need someone trusted to take a look if you're not sure of what to look for. Maybe for a small fee @MySiteGuy can log in and see if anything is amiss.
I would provide him with the email and username of the person you think deleted themselves and posts. Also reference the stop signs you are talking about.
That sounds good, because I want to get to the bottom of it.
he asked me to delete his account
I said ok give me a few minutes.
Then when I went into ACP his account was not there.
I see if I can still find his user name etc.

Hi Chris,

What is the reason that this feature isnt developed in XenForo. I get a lot of request of people who want to delete their account and posts, i get a bit tired of it. I think this feature should be standard in a platform, especially nowadays where the need for deleting your personal details on platforms is growing..

Hi Chris,

What is the reason that this feature isnt developed in XenForo. I get a lot of request of people who want to delete their account and posts, i get a bit tired of it. I think this feature should be standard in a platform, especially nowadays where the need for deleting your personal details on platforms is growing..
I believe there is an addon that would allow users to delete their own accounts.

However, this is bad policy for a few reasons. What is built in to Xenforo is the ability for an admin to delete personal information from the database and change the post attribution to "Deleted member XXXXXX". That preserves the forum content while complying with the GDPR.

If you were to allow members to delete their own accounts AND their content, that would be a huge mess. As just one example, the member starts a thread and then deletes his content. Now every post that responded to that thread is also deleted.

Also, the standard clause in forums ToS states pretty clearly that while the poster retains copyright to a post, s/he grants the forum a perpetual license to publish that post on the site where it was posted.

Check this free addon, works perfectly:
...but ofcourse not for posts. You don't want that.

Hi Chris,

There is an addon available. However I would like to have build in core this functionality, plus ability user to download a copy of their data.

I am on a forum that allows self-deletion and I wish they didn't. At least one member has an irritating habit of deleting in a huff and then reappearing under a new name after a month or two. On the forum I admin, I would rather that deletions go through me and then if someone starts playing games like that, I can catch it early and start throwing out IP bans or discouragement.

There is an addon available. However I would like to have build in core this functionality, plus ability user to download a copy of their data.
As long as the deletion is controlled by a user permission so admins can control its use or disable it. I have no issue with users downloading their data, though, and a lot of social media started offering that as part of their GDPR compliance.

No way
I like to know if my members want to leave
I like to ask them why for future reference
My forum would fall apart

if you really want to allow it - get an add-on

Top Bottom