Are there enough add-on developers for XF now?

Renegade

I am not really a prospect as I already own a license since a long time. My only gripe with XF has been the lack of custom add-on developers.

So what I want to know is whether the scene has improved now or is it still the same as before with no takers for even paid add-on requests?

I desperately need upgrades to one of my add-ons which I got done outside XF.com :)

That's a tough question to answer. I want to say there are never "enough". But are we at a good point, I think there is more work to be done in the addon development community. But, I feel as though that will be easier to do once the Resource Manager is released and better organizes the work already done for both users and developers. There are a lot of addons to make and just not enough time to do it all :(.

Just out of curiosity, why is it that developers prefer to code the add-ons they want to code and then offer them for free instead of taking up requests for paid add-ons? I mean why not make some dough while you are at it.

@Brandon - Even I do not have problem with the mods that are available and am thankful to the developers who are making them and offering them without any charge. I am just looking for a developer who would do some bespoke work. (yeah everyone except US nationals know the word bespoke :P )

It will undoubtedly take some time to build up to the levels that people are used to on other platforms.

What we mustn't forget though is that XenForo 1.0 was only released a little over 6 months ago.

This time next year I have no doubt that all of the "major" add-ons which are usually requested will be available.

What that question really implies is, Is there enough developers that are willing to provide for free and post their works? That is down to debate, we appreciate their efforts, though it begs to ask the following question are there a shortage of developers here at xf? imo No, if I need an add-on so badly I'll dig deep and hire a developer and last time i checked there are plenty of talented people if your willing to pay that will develop what you need, to your requirements.

I'm not having a go at you, or your question but I know if I need an add-on I know I'll get exactly what i need by hiring somebody.

Your really at the mercy when wanting a free add-on, free anything for that matter that there's a chance that a developer/designer/styler will create that add-on/resource you need.

edit: i personally feel that there needs to be more commercial add-ons so that developers are enticed to create, build upon, expand and further update add-ons. I know for a fact, for me if i need an add-on and it's good quality I'll pay for it.

I agree, I have done in the past for vb and also for xf, I'm glad that xf will allow paid add ons to be listed, One of my pet hates with vb was trying to find a mod for what I wanted, as paid ones were not allowed to be listed, most of the ones I did find I found ramdomly.

I wouldn't go too far into speaking for everyone, but so far I think most of the free add-ons come as a result of coders wanting to get experienced with XenForo and probably a dash of just having fun programming. It's also helpful to build a portfolio of add-ons so it's a lot easier to gain the trust of a client when it comes to custom work and getting money. How often would you hand cash to someone who you have no idea if they know what they're doing? ;)

If you really need something done, like Shelley mentioned, you can definitely find coders-for-hire around here. If you're not finding something being done, I'd guess it's because no one knows you want it. I can tell you I see a few complaints about X add-on not being available on XenForo, but before that time no one requested or even mentioned such a feature being needed for their site. We can't make something if we never knew it was needed.

There also seems to be a general idea that if you request it, it will be made for free which is simply not true, particularly when it comes to add-ons or other modifications that are unique to a particular site and would never be widely-used. There's even some cases where paid projects are posted, but at a lower price than a programmer would deem worth it, so it never gets comleted.

But to answer the question of there being "enough" XenForo developers? I think there's plenty. ;)

I agree with you. I like Xenforo but since developers are waiting for 1.1 to be release is KILLING any momentum Xenforo had with add-ons. No one wants to develop a addon to have to just redo it at at UNKNOWN date.

Comon Xenforo Give us a solid date already.

It might also interest you to know that (and this is odd for me because I'm an addon junkie with most forum softwares) I have the bare minimum of addons on my own xenforo-run forum. It just doesn't need all the extra bells and whistles that we push onto the other software.

I agree with you. I like Xenforo but since developers are waiting for 1.1 to be release is KILLING any momentum Xenforo had with add-ons. No one wants to develop a addon to have to just redo it at at UNKNOWN date.

It is a tiny bit ridiculous, at this point.

I don't see why it should stop developers from developing anything. Most often if there are any incompatibilities, it wouldn't be some massive ordeal to get it to be compatible with XF 1.1.
It is a tiny bit ridiculous, at this point.
I think it's a bit ridiculous that developers stop what they're doing and are waiting for the next version to come out. ;)

I don't see why it should stop developers from developing anything. Most often if there are any incompatibilities, it wouldn't be some massive ordeal to get it to be compatible with XF 1.1.
I think it's a bit ridiculous that developers stop what they're doing and are waiting for the next version to come out. ;)

I agree totally. When is 1.2 coming out? I need to know, I'm going to keep creating a thread until I get some kind of response and an estimated time before I create any add-ons so I'm not building something that will be in the 1.2 feature set. Fast forward to the time when 1.2 is estimated to be released. I'm going to shout out that I won't update my addons because I'm waiting on an exact date for 1.2 to come. :rolleyes:

It's that damned do, damned don't scenario again. :coffee:

I am not really a prospect as I already own a license since a long time. My only gripe with XF has been the lack of custom add-on developers.

So what I want to know is whether the scene has improved now or is it still the same as before with no takers for even paid add-on requests?

I desperately need upgrades to one of my add-ons which I got done outside XF.com :)
Just out of curiosity, why is it that developers prefer to code the add-ons they want to code and then offer them for free instead of taking up requests for paid add-ons? I mean why not make some dough while you are at it.

Unless I'm mistaken, I read it that Renegade is more than willing to hire someone for add-ons, but is finding a lack of developers willing to take paid work?

I'm waiting for 1.1 because I want to launch a new site and don't want to then break it when upgrading to 1.1 and waiting for mod developers to update their mods that I use. Odds are, they will fix their mods quick, but having downtime or serious issues right after launching would be bad for me. I can wait of course, not really a big deal for me, but there are people that are waiting for valid reasons.

Top Bottom