Add-on Arcade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the comments being made would discourage anyone for doing it less than 1,000. It was expressed 1x that we would be seeking someone who offers a more fair and acceptable price, which was followed by several "over priced" opinions claiming that it would be foolish to do so.

That is where I find your (and others) negativity and that is why we normally do not publicly post inquires for employment.

I'm sorry but if I can get a chance to educate my fellow developers on how they should be pricing their work I will. Many developers out there undervalue themselves and as a result can hardly pay their bills at the end of the month (I know this from my own experience as well as that of friends).

I'd also like to point out that I did say that you probably "can" get it done for 1k or less but that this would likely mean you have to compromise in quality or features.

You are free to engage in conversation publicly and privately, as I am free to respond to public conversations. As long as I do so with reason and without provoking anyone (which I don't believe I did) I don't see why we need to be having this conversation.

By all means though, if you feel inclined to discuss our infraction further and would prefer not to do so in public; feel free to pm me.

Many developers out there undervalue themselves

I'd also like to point out that I did say that you probably "can" get it done for 1k or less but that this would likely mean you have to compromise in quality or features.

And that is where we disagree, strongly with prejudice

I really wouldn't be able to say and I'm not looking to take on any work so I won't spend the time researching it. But 1k for any medium to large size project seems a bit low. Of course based on the specs and requirements you can dial down the cost but to have an arcade addon in the same fashion as say, vBulletin, would likely be closer to 3k and can easily run higher.

Mind you there are plenty of devs out there that will do it for less, but you will almost always get what you pay for. I'm just saying that if you want a well coded addon developed and you are starting off with a low budget then you will probably have to compromise on way or the other.

TBH I'm really surprised someone just hasn't done one already. Charge like $100 and you'd probably make profit down the line. It's sad xFArcade has ceased development.

TBH I'm really surprised someone just hasn't done one already. Charge like $100 and you'd probably make profit down the line. It's sad xFArcade has ceased development.

Unfortunately due to piracy and the relatively small XF community it's not that simple. You're lucky to break 1k with a paid addon.

It would be costly to develop two versions (1 free and 1 paid).

The ipb arcade format for development .... Came down hard on someone who tried to make only a paid arcade for their games. The unofficial rule is that it must be free or you must offer a free version along side your paid alternative.

This is why every ipb arcade format that has been released, even for vBulletin, has been free or offered a paid alternative.

Let me break it down for you. I have looked at the old arcade and it would need to be started from scratch if you wanted the quality I create. It would take roughly a month to complete if I work a normal 6 hour day for 5 days a week. 6 * 5 * 4 = 120. 1000 / 120 = $8.33 / hour.

I would be better off delivering pizza.

Not saying you want me and obviously I wouldn't do it but that is the kind of thing that stops us from having nice things.

Let me break it down for you. I have looked at the old arcade and it would need to be started from scratch if you wanted the quality I create. It would take roughly a month to complete if I work a normal 6 hour day for 5 days a week. 6 * 5 * 4 = 120. 1000 / 120 = $8.33 / hour.

I would be better off delivering pizza.

Not saying you want me and obviously I wouldn't do it but that is the kind of thing that stops us from having nice things.
Have fun delivering pizza.... A well known and respected developer has come forward. (y)

I have looked at the old arcade and it would need to be started from scratch if you wanted the quality I create
Which "old arcade"? The rights for v3 Arcade has been transferred to vBadvanced and I haven't decided what I'm going to do with XFA yet so unless one of the other arcade apps out there allow code-reuse then any new arcade will need to be done from scratch.

Meh, all this mine is bigger than yours crap...

All I care about is the Arcade. I don't personally care who does it as long as they do it right and can be consistent. I for one would be interested and I know others would as well.

But since my site is still in development, an Arcade is actually not high on the priority list. Still, it would be a great feature down the road for me so I'm willing to help where I can, money wise as well.

Meh, all this mine is bigger than yours crap...

All I care about is the Arcade. I don't personally care who does it as long as they do it right and can be consistent. I for one would be interested and I know others would as well.

But since my site is still in development, an Arcade is actually not high on the priority list. Still, it would be a great feature down the road for me so I'm willing to help where I can, money wise as well.
I agree :)

We have a developer now so wish granted (in time). :D

Well how is it you got someone to take on this massive project and I'm still looking for a some functionality tweaks to the Livestreams mod? My request is much more simple compared to yours?

Maybe I need to show some more leg, I've got a really cute black skirt/red shirt combo.
:ROFLMAO:

I'll look into your request and see if I can turn up something for you :)

Well how is it you got someone to take on this massive project and I'm still looking for a some functionality tweaks to the Livestreams mod? My request is much more simple compared to yours?

Maybe I need to show some more leg, I've got a really cute black skirt/red shirt combo.
I'll take pics of that as payment :ROFLMAO:

I am of course joking... I'm too busy :(

Untested and probably very broken (don't have access to my dev server right now)

Install by overwriting existing php files and upgrading addon xml

(Note some features such as categories have been removed/disabled)

Removed on request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom