Fixed Approval Queue - Notify user if action was taken

Dryline

Affected version
2.1.5a
Recently I denied a member who had applied for membership. I put comments in the “Reject with reason” box, then unchecked the “Notify user if action was taken”. About a week went by when we received a nasty gram from him as to our reasons for denying his application. I immediately thought I forgot to uncheck the notify user option, but after creating a test case I realized that what should be comments internal to our staff was plainly visible to the rejected user. Here’s a screenshot of the test use case I created showing what I saw after simply logging into the account. The username I created was Alex Healy. I cannot find an option that controls this but I think it should never be shown to the end user. Thanks in advance.

C0FD4519-CCBA-499D-B1C1-B12B3CA13DCE.webp

The notify option controls whether or not to send an email to the user informing them of the change. The reason will always display on the error page, if it is entered. I can see how this might be confusing though.

I can see how this feature has become useless for those of us who manually approve each application. Why create a rejected users report that we can refer to when someone asks for the reason they were denied? We put technical as well as private information in the comments field so the next moderator can easily figure out why the denied person didn’t pass muster. Knowing that denied members can see those comments just blows its usefulness out of the water. They should be shown a generic message, “Your application has been denied. Please contact a moderator for further details“, or something similar.

You can edit this phrase your_account_has_been_rejected_for_following_reason_x, removing the {reason} portion will hide it there

That looks odd.

Just change it to "Your account has been rejected." or "Sorry. You do not meet the requirements for our forum." or something similar.

Thank you for reporting this issue, it has now been resolved. We are aiming to include any changes that have been made in a future XF release (2.1.7).

Change log:
Add additional wording to make it clear that the rejection reason will be shown to users awaiting approval.
There may be a delay before changes are rolled out to the XenForo Community.

Top Bottom