Apple products and pricing

Sar

I respect this guy's character, vision and all, but never understood this maniac obsession with iPhones, Macs... In many public places you get feeling that people are just showing off so much with this products, you get felling that buying it was biggest achievement in their life.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying Apple sucks, although it is way to expensive for what it offer. Hell, for iPhone price, I would expect it to at least cook my meals too.

It is sad to see how so many people get tricked into buying overpriced things which they don't really need. Consumption, consumption, consumption.

It is sad to see how so many people get tricked into buying overpriced things which they don't really need. Consumption, consumption, consumption.
When I purchased my iPhone, I didn't feel "tricked" into buying something I didn't need. In fact, I'll tell you right now that I didn't need it at all. I wanted it, and for me, it was worth the money. Now I have a Droid HTC Incredible 2, which is just as expensive. I don't need that either, but I definitely want it. :)

When I purchased my iPhone, I didn't feel "tricked" into buying something I didn't need. In fact, I'll tell you right now that I didn't need it at all. I wanted it, and for me, it was worth the money. Now I have a Droid HTC Incredible 2, which is just as expensive. I don't need that either, but I definitely want it. :)
Sorry to break it down for you, you wanted it because of marketing. Because behavior statistics of consumers are free will given by them. This data is processed into information to make product which you think you want. If you dont believe, just ask somebody with MBA, although now when I think of it, they have it too.

I certainly don't need to ask anyone with an MBA anything.

I wanted my iPhone, not because of marketing, but because I knew exactly what I wanted in a phone, and went shopping for it. I wanted to be able to keep all of my notes, contacts, pictures, etc in one place. I wanted to be able to email pics/videos I take directly from my phone to either my email account, facebook, or youtube.

Sure, there are other phones that do the same things, and I checked them out. The iPhone won because of its sleek, slim design, and ease of use.

Sorry to break it down for you, you wanted it because of marketing. Because behavior statistics of consumers are free will given by them. This data is processed into information to make product which you think you want. If you dont believe, just ask somebody with MBA, although now when I think of it, they have it too.
Sorry to break it down for you, I wanted something that allowed me to play music, browse the internet, watch videos, and talk, and at the same time, was easy to use. iPhone was just that for me. Nothing at the time even came close to comparison.

I remember when they first rolled out, the iphones cost what, like 400-600 even with a contract? Insane to the membrane

Sprint is going to be selling the iPhone 5 when it rolls out in December September/October.
Finally, I can say bye bye to AT&T.

Hehe, expected response, what iPhone can do.

Okay, I'll put it different way. I use 7 years old motorola, which has barely colorized screen, although I am in constant touch with prototypes of new mobiles (not Apple btw). Anyway, I use it for callings and messages. And time I could spend with playing all kind of virtual things with iPhone (and other hi-tech stuff, including fb, twitter...), I rather spend with a friend and a beer, with hot chick in the bed, hiking in nature, surfing on waves and reading books.

But we all have different points of view, so whatever makes u happy ;)

Hehe, expected response, what iPhone can do.

Okay, I'll put it different way. I use 7 years old motorola, which has barely colorized screen, although I am in constant touch with prototypes of new mobiles (not Apple btw). Anyway, I use it for callings and messages. And time I could spend with playing all kind of virtual things with iPhone (and other hi-tech stuff, including fb, twitter...), I rather spend with a friend and a beer, with hot chick in the bed, hiking in nature, surfing on waves and reading books.

But we all have different points of view, so whatever makes u happy ;)
All of that totally invalidates your argument. I have had an iPhone, I have a facebook account, I still drink beers with friends (my avatar is proof of that) and I definitely get hot chicks in my bed and have time for many other activities of my liking.

Sprint is going to be selling the iPhone 5 when it rolls out in December.
Peggy,please don't disappoint me with that date.
I want my iPhone5 in September!
(I have a friend who heard it from his friend that it is coming in September for sure)
I wanted to be able to keep all of my notes, contacts, pictures, etc in one place.
I want it for the same reason.

The key reason I hate Apple is the control they exert over what you can and can't do with their devices. Take the iPad. You have to use iTunes, can't load your own content onto it easily, without using iTunes and then you're forced to getting Apps from iTunes.

Want free stuff? Well, there are free games / apps around, but its interesting to note, Angry Birds free on iTunes is one level. on Android is the whole game.

Anyway, the iPad 1 I got free last week just sold for £330 on eBay and I've already got a replacement, a £115 TouchPad 32gb.

Twice the storage of the iPad, can sync it up to google easily so all my contacts / events come over from my phone & PC. Plug it into the PC and it appears as a drive so I can copy anything I want onto it.

Oh, and I can watch BBC iPlayer (and flash movies in general on it - yes I know there's an iPlayer app for the iPad).

Hell, I'll probably even install Android onto it when they release a stable version for it.

The point is there is always better alternatives around than Apple products (apart from when the iPad launched, admitidly), the problem is that Apple have got their marketing spot on and its an product people aspire to own, simply because they think its cool.

Their laptops & PCs are another example - much better hardware around for less, but you pay the 'Apple' premium, just as you do if you buy a new Audi, Mercedes or BMW. You're buying a badge or logo basically.

If you don't give a toss about being tied into Apple then fine. Personally, I don't want to be tied into Apple and I don't want them dictating what I can and can't do with the device I've bought.

The key reason I hate Apple is the control they exert...
Ya think?

To paraphrase Jobs in 'Pirates of Silicon Valley' you tube video I just saw: 'It's about control, it's about power'

Their laptops & PCs are another example - much better hardware around for less, but you pay the 'Apple' premium, just as you do if you buy a new Audi, Mercedes or BMW. You're buying a badge or logo basically.
For me, it is about support. If there was another manufacturer that did not send their support department off shore, I would use them. Last I check there were 2: Levano and Apple. It's also about 'physical' quality, I am completely underwhelmed with how flimsy the other manufacturers laptops are, though I did see one from HP that at least looked reasonable recently.

For the moment I am using Fujitsu because when I bought my laptop it has an aluminum case (at least the display is), and they had domestic support - both of those have changed last I checked.

Want free stuff? Well, there are free games / apps around, but its interesting to note, Angry Birds free on iTunes is one level. on Android is the whole game.
That has nothing to do with Apple though, that is the game developers choice on how they release their game. If the Android one is hacked, then Google is the exact principle of what NOT to aspire towards... because you will put the software industry into the same bucket as the music industry... broken!

Actually, we just changed out completely to Apple, because overall its actually cheaper. iMac are a complete system, not buy this, extra parts, worry about if the video card or RAM fails, etc etc... no real downtime either if the system does collapse, as you pick the system up, take it to the Apple store, and they replace it there and then or fix it there and then.

Even out of warranty, when our iPhones had issues... $250 here and we swapped them straight over, no downtime beyond the hour to get to the store and do it.

We did a lot of number crunching over computer costs, and Apple worked out cheaper based on running PC's within the office over the past 3 years. They also run faster with less specifications, using Windows even, than a PC does, as they're completely engineered systems to run at maximum optimal performance vs. the bitza PC approach that typically have I/O points all through them slowing down data transfer.

Our last batch of PC's cost us just over $12,000, moving to Apple, $8,000 to replace everything we had existing, and they do it far far better. They just work... which is what's needed.

That has nothing to do with Apple though, that is the game developers choice on how they release their game. If the Android one is hacked, then Google is the exact principle of what NOT to aspire towards... because you will put the software industry into the same bucket as the music industry... broken!

Actually, we just changed out completely to Apple, because overall its actually cheaper. iMac are a complete system, not buy this, extra parts, worry about if the video card or RAM fails, etc etc... no real downtime either if the system does collapse, as you pick the system up, take it to the Apple store, and they replace it there and then or fix it there and then.

Even out of warranty, when our iPhones had issues... $250 here and we swapped them straight over, no downtime beyond the hour to get to the store and do it.

We did a lot of number crunching over computer costs, and Apple worked out cheaper based on running PC's within the office over the past 3 years. They also run faster with less specifications, using Windows even, than a PC does, as they're completely engineered systems to run at maximum optimal performance vs. the bitza PC approach that typically have I/O points all through them slowing down data transfer.

Our last batch of PC's cost us just over $12,000, moving to Apple, $8,000 to replace everything we had existing, and they do it far far better. They just work... which is what's needed.

$8,000 - Do you mind me asking what you got for the 8 thousand anthony?

Peggy,please don't disappoint me with that date.
I want my iPhone5 in September!
(I have a friend who heard it from his friend that it is coming in September for sure)

I want it for the same reason.
Darned auto complete! I did mean September, sorry and corrected.

At one time it was "The Computer for the Rest of Us". Now nothing Apple uses the moniker of "computer". You can buy computers from anyone, but you can only get a Macbook or Iphone or Ipad from Apple. Techies like to say "I can do all that with my {fill in the blank}. Thing is, my Mother can do it all with her Iphone. I was amazed last week to see my 30 month old grandson navigating on his dad's Iphone. Sliding and clicking and expanding, now that is the definition of "intuitive"!

Apple doesn't build computers, no one wants a "computer", they just want devices that do everything a computer does!

I certainly don't need to ask anyone with an MBA anything.

I wanted my iPhone, not because of marketing, but because I knew exactly what I wanted in a phone, and went shopping for it. I wanted to be able to keep all of my notes, contacts, pictures, etc in one place. I wanted to be able to email pics/videos I take directly from my phone to either my email account, facebook, or youtube.

Sure, there are other phones that do the same things, and I checked them out. The iPhone won because of its sleek, slim design, and ease of use.
Sure, people don't like questioning, which I see as a really dangerous mindset. People rather take marketed goods for granted and they are happy and satisfied with it. People rather watch TV instead of reading books. People are better off with being intellectual lazy then think.

Not aiming personally at u Peggy, but answer in a style "I don't need to ask anyone..." seems arrogant to me. I consider my self as a well educated, open minded with decent amount of different knowledge, read thousands of books and fluent in more than 5 languages and I keep learning every single day from all kind of different people, even from most simple people and would never even consider such an answer. Maybe they cant teach me science but there are many aspects of life one can learn.

And just a few points about Apple. Personally I have resistance (never bought and dont see I would as it is atm) towards Apple because:

1. It is highly overpriced
2. Freedom of choice of applications (my product my choice what I want to install on it)
3. Their marketing/sales approach to deliver "fancy" technology to squize out money from every pocket, while paying lowest slave-wages.

They were paying around 800Y wage in China for assemble workers, which I am sure everybody can calculate on his own how much it is, until workers start to commit suicides.

I am not willing to pay a single buck for any kind of product to such a company.

1. It is highly overpriced
2. Freedom of choice of applications (my product my choice what I want to install on it)
3. Their marketing/sales approach to deliver "fancy" technology to squize out money from every pocket, while paying lowest slave-wages.
Gee, sounds pretty much like my Droid.

Top Bottom