Apple Laptop

Dixie McCall

Considering buying my first Apple Laptop. I'm not sure I want to spend that kind of money as my new I phone 11 isn't that great, although it takes amazing photos the rest is meh!

Any opinion on Apple laptops? The Apple I'm looking to build is way over 3k but "they" say it lasts longer and has less issues than others? IDK

My regular computer died and I'm now on an 2017 Dell-remind me to never ever buy another Dell. LOL

If not Apple than what other brand is reliable?

Thanks

Finn

Don’t buy any Apple laptop other than the M1-based MacBook Air until Apple Silicon is available across the whole range - then take your pic and you’ll be a happy camper.

Just don’t spend money on outgoing Intel-based machines.

If you’re just doing mainly office stuff, the entry level MacBook Air with M1 is a great deal at $999 (are we allowed to say that about Macs?)

Super light, good battery life and great performance, plus it is powerful enough to do basic video editing.

RAM is a little limited at 8GB for the entry level, that’s the one thing I’d consider bumping up if you plan to keep it long term. But unless you’re doing a ton of multitasking or using ram hungry stuff, you can prob get away with it.

If you’re going all out and want a powerhouse, I’d wait for the next revision of the M series MacBook Pro, with rumoured chassis redesign.

It really depends on what you're gonna be using it for. I have an Alienware laptop and i'm pretty happy with it aside from one issue with the keyboard i need to get fixed (luckily I got a protection plan for this sort of thing) but yeah. As @Kier stated, if you go the Apple route, don't buy anything other than the M1 model of laptops.

It really depends on what you're gonna be using it for. I have an Alienware laptop and i'm pretty happy with it aside from one issue with the keyboard i need to get fixed (luckily I got a protection plan for this sort of thing) but yeah. As @Kier stated, if you go the Apple route, don't buy anything other than the M1 model of laptops.
This PC will be used to gather and organize photos, bill pay and manage a few communities. Nothing too resource intensive. My friend recommended Alienware laptop as well but he's a big gamer and I'm not.

I'm totally an Apple person when it comes to phones and wouldn't own anything but an i-phone. However when it comes to Apple computers I don't think they're worth the money. Plus the Apple has the left handed approach per say compared to PC's. Nowdays you can get a decent laptop fairly cheap for right around 1k or less. The new Dell computer is pretty good. Do like Kier said and save your money.

The problem is for those of us in the Enterprise space, we can't use RISC processors. We need CISC processors for many of the legacy applications we run or emulate.

The M1s can't emulate Windows 10 or traditional operating systems well - which is DOA for many of us.

Please don't ask about going to Windows 10 ARM. That doesn't solve the problem.

I've been really happy with my Surface Book 3 (especially since it was given to me). Not too big, not too small and does everything I need it to do, including the astrophotography. I7 processor, 1TB SSD drive and 32GB of RAM does everything I have thrown at it so far.
It's one of the "benefits" of doing free IT work for a local Dr's clinic. They provide me with a device for remote access, no matter HOW off the wall it is for that simple use. I typically put in over 1000 hours a year with them so they come out WAY ahead. If they had to pay their normal $125 hourly that they were, they'd be looking at $125,000 a year just for that support.

My Apple cart was over 4k with everything I added. Yikes! I'm not sure it's worth that much money. Are Macs really worth this much money? I'm gonna have to look elsewhere for now.

You shouldn't even be contemplating an Intel Mac. If you need a 16" screen, wait till the new Macbook Pros come out.

If you can get away with 13" get the Air and add a bit of RAM and SSD space if necessary. Should be 1/4 - 1/2 your current cart.

Top Bottom