Appending of forum ID inconsistency?

Ding ding ding! :)

I actually hinted at this in the example page:

You are given the choice to enter a name for the forum to be accessed by (the "slug", if you're familiar with WP). The advantage is that you don't have an ID. The disadvantage is that you basically can't change this without breaking existing links to it.

It's specified on a per forum basis, and yes it has to be unique. The ID based version will still work.
Kier Mike,

You just blew my mind.

Not 5 minutes ago I was posting about how the thread "slug" was decorative, and we're still married to the threadID (and presumably forumID) as the required means of navigating to a thread or forum. And now you are showing that forums can be done by slug *or* forumID. That is just awesome sauce. ;)

Ding ding ding! :)

I actually hinted at this in the example page:

You are given the choice to enter a name for the forum to be accessed by (the "slug", if you're familiar with WP). The advantage is that you don't have an ID. The disadvantage is that you basically can't change this without breaking existing links to it.

It's specified on a per forum basis, and yes it has to be unique. The ID based version will still work.
Nice feature mike.

Yeah, which is why the ID number should be appended and it's why an ID number is appended to all threads. :)

If anyone's wondering when you would ever have multiple forums with the same name, imagine this:
Code:
Windows Support
     - OS Support
     - Software Support
     - Other Support
Mac Support
     - OS Support
     - Software Support
     - Other Support
You get the idea. :)
I prefer composition over inheritance.

As Floris said:

It allows for a more user-friendly URL.

So we can change the URL of non-ID categories? I just hope if I ever have to do this, there is some way to redirect the old link to the new link.

Which kind of defeats the fact they have ID's included in the Thread Titles. How is that keeping URL's more readable site wide in that case?

Which kind of defeats the fact they have ID's included in the Thread Titles. How is that keeping URL's more readable site wide in that case?
ID's in thread titles are required to differentiate between threads with identical titles. Otherwise every thread title would have to be unique. :)

ID's in thread titles are required to differentiate between threads with identical titles. Otherwise every thread title would have to be unique. :)
Yes, but they don't have to be in the THREAD TITLE, they can be before it like: /456/welcome-to-xenforo/

And if we are talking about cleanness here, which we are. How is this clean (with the ID in the Thread Title): /welcome-to-xenforo.456/

Yes, but they don't have to be in the THREAD TITLE, they can be before it like: /456/welcome-to-xenforo/

And if we are talking about cleanness here, which we are. How is this clean (with the ID in the Thread Title): /welcome-to-xenforo.456/
Honestly, I think /456/welcome-to-xenforo/ is more convulted and confusing than /welcome-to-xenforo.456/.

/welcome-to-xenforo.456/ clearly associates the ID number with the thread title, and you don't have another structure addition (essentially a pseudo-directory). /456/welcome-to-xenforo/ is confusing because it appears like the thread title is a child of /456/, which doesn't make sense and is confusing (what is /456/?).

It's not that big of a deal IMO as someone will write a mod to change the URL structure if it's not already stock functionality. :)

Top Bottom