Anyone use Upcloud and have issues?

Jake B.

I created an account and a cloud server with them a few days ago after seeing the benchmarking @eva2000 had posted, added payment details, made sure automatic payments were enabled, the whole 9 yards. But a few hours ago now I got an email saying that the cloud server I created was permanently removed "due to termination of the trial period", and haven't heard anything back from their support after contacting them about it. Luckily I created this account specifically to test something and had no intention to keep it so there was no meaningful data on it, but seeing as how I had payment details associated, and auto pay enabled it seems odd that they would terminate it because a "free trial" that I didn't even know I had signed up for had ended. Just curious, has anyone has encountered anything similar?

Last edited:
strange tried contacting them on twitter https://twitter.com/UpCloud ?

Nah, I'm not all that worried about it since it didn't actually contain anything useful. Just seems like an odd choice, and had I been using it for some actual purpose I'd likely have been pissed

but yes signs are treated as a free trial right on sign up page

Must've missed that banner then, still seems odd they'd just go straight to deleting the data when they have my payment details, I explicitly enabled autopay (because it's apparently off by default, for some reason) all without an email on that second day of the trail telling me that I need to do some action to prevent it from being deleted the next day. Just double checked my emails and all I have is the original confirmation email then three emails from today saying that "Cloud server X has been removed", "The XXXXX disk has been removed", and "You're in! Now let's get your first cloud server deployed :)" 😂

Edit: Just did a quick sanity check of their terms and they explicitly state:

For a free trial of the Service, UpCloud may require Customer to provide payment details to start the trial. At the end of such trial, UpCloud may automatically start to charge the applicable service fees for the Service immediately after the end of the free trial in accordance with Section Payment Terms and according to the price list on UpCloud’s website. The applicable subscription to the Service must be cancelled through Customer’s account’s subscription page, or the Service must be terminated in its entirety, before the end of the trial period in case Customer does not accept the applicable prices provided on UpCloud’s website.

There is even a $0.06 balance on my account from the time between when the trial ended and when they nuked it
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
So, I decided to call them just to see what the deal is. The guy I talked to said that their terms specifically says that I needed to make a deposit manually, and that after that initial deposit is when autopay kicks in. Unfortunately though, he wasn't able to tell me where it said this and just said "trust me, it says it" even after I told him exactly what it said in their terms (the bit I quoted above) he told me that he "doesn't know where I got that information, but whoever told me that was wrong" ( :rolleyes: ).. Long story short though, had I had any actual data there I'd be SOL as they're not able to recover it lol

Yeah that's how I did it with manual $10 deposit way back when I signed up - but wasn't sure if that is case nowadays for sign ups

tweeted the suggestion to them
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
like away :)

Yeah that's how I did it with manual $10 deposit way back when I signed up - but wasn't sure if that is case nowadays for sign ups

Just took another look at the billing page (mainly to disable automatic payments and remove my payment details) and I do see this:
Capture.PNG

It looks like when I initially enabled automatic payments (it definitely WAS enabled as I just disabled it to remove my card) it was supposed to have made that initial $10 deposit, but didn't for one reason or another.

The person I talked to did insist that I would have received an email, but then followed that by saying they've had this issue with the free trial a lot of times in the past and have never been able to recover the data when it's happened so there's definitely some sort of issue there

Performance of Upcloud is definitely better than DigitalOcean. Maybe the issue I ran into was a one-off thing, but the fact that they deleted all of my data with no warning email beforehand because of a free trial that ended when they had my payment details with autopay enabled definitely left a bad taste for me

Performance of Upcloud is definitely better than DigitalOcean. Maybe the issue I ran into was a one-off thing, but the fact that they deleted all of my data with no warning email beforehand because of a free trial that ended when they had my payment details with autopay enabled definitely left a bad taste for me
Yeah their trial info may seem unclear to some.
What was your final recommendation? I currently using digital ocean but would be willing to move based on your work.
I use upcloud primarily for all my Centmin Mod testing these days :D

I guess upcloud don't do block storage similar to DO, in that all upcloud's storage is block storage?

DO 2cpu 4Gb 80Gb $20 + 100Gb block $10 = $30/month
Upcloud 2cpu 4Gb 180Gb = $72/month

Am I missing something?

I guess upcloud don't do block storage similar to DO, in that all upcloud's storage is block storage?

DO 2cpu 4Gb 80Gb $20 + 100Gb block $10 = $30/month
Upcloud 2cpu 4Gb 180Gb = $72/month

Am I missing something?
I am not sure where you are getting your pricing

UpCloud – Deploy a new server.webp

It's not out of the ordinary. I am currently running vps servers at a larger Dutch hoster and custom vps servers (default with more resources) are really expensive too.

Top Bottom