Anyone running Windows 11 yet?

Davyc

I upgraded yesterday and I must say that the improvements are brilliant - faster opening of apps, better look and feel and nicer sounds.

No issues during upgrade and just a little time to get used to the new interface, but this is way good compared to the basic Windows 10.

Love it :)

I read yesterday of issues with (some) AMD Ryzen processors so I'm holding off until there's a fix.
That's a bummer, I'm OK and lucky as I'm running a Gen 11 Intel i5 so no issues so far - there will be some I have no doubt, but so far so good :)

Also, if you're in to gaming, you might want to make sure that Virtualization-Based Security (VBS) is turned off, since it can reportedly tank gaming performance. I believe it's disabled by default (unless you buy a pre-built PC), but you can check by entering 'MSInfo32' in Windows search and looking at the bottom of the system report.

Good to hear. Have not had a look yet and will likely wait until my team at work are ready to try it out so I have some "experts" to consult (I am head of the IT department). :D

Microsoft removed ability unminimize a software from taskbar when you "drag" file/directory. OS just draws icon with error:
1633624531787.webp

:\

I'm waiting a bit, although I may try it on my older laptop and/or my Surface tablet soon. I can't afford my work computer to be down if something goes wrong. The Surface tablet likely has TPM support; my work computer likely does also, as that was a somewhat recent build. The laptop is probably too old to have TPM, and I'm not replacing it just to install an OS. (Although if the keyboard gets any worse, I may replace it anyway.)

Do you mean unpin from the taskbar, as in remove it?
No.
You can unminimize software when your cursor keeps something file.

Imagine you need copy file from one directory to another. In old Windows versions (in Windows XP this feature exists, i sure), you can just open two explorer windows, minimize one of them, and when you "start hold" file with LMB, unminimize previously minimized window with simple holding the cursor over required window in taskbar. When windows is grouping to one icon, OS firstly shows you opened windows, and you can "hold cursor" on required window. And it will unminimize.

From Windows 11, you can't do this. You should use ALT + Tab or another hotkey on keyboard.

Ha! My 18 months old high end PC is too old for Win11. I think they need to iron out the bugs first.
Same with my Surface tablet, I just found out. Not even two years old. CPU not supported. 🙄

The hardware/CPU support makes no sense. I mean, how can a Core i7 not be supported? I run applications a lot more resource intensive than an operating system (which by nature, should stay out of the way and let the applications do their job). And I've done without TPM for decades--why do I suddenly need it now?

I mean, sure, I can use a workaround to get the CPU bypassed. But I thought I'd read that the "unofficial" installation then won't be able to install updates automatically. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️ It will take a lot of bad press before MS changes their mind on these requirements.

Aaaaand, I'm done. I spent an hour or two looking at various articles about W11, and hundreds of comments with common complaints about the messed up UI. That's on top of the pointless requirements--do they think all of us are made of money and can blow thousands on new hardware on a whim? No thanks. They've stooped to an even lower level than that fruit-named company (whose products are not welcome here). As long as W10 keeps getting security updates, I'm good for now. I usually like to install it on one device just so I can help with support issues, and do some testing, but that's not happening.

Ha! My 18 months old high end PC is too old for Win11. I think they need to iron out the bugs first.
Really messed up terribly.
The message is that my processor is not supported but when I search for it in the list of supported processors it states that it's supported.

Really messed up terribly.
The message is that my processor is not supported but when I search for it in the list of supported processors it states that it's supported.
Must be a Microsoft product, then. Getting stuff like this straight seems to be an ongoing, uphill battle for that company.

W10 will get the updates till end of 2025.
Which is good news because my wife's computer ain't getting 11 I don't think and she is not in a hurry for a new one. Now that's she is retired, she isn't using it for much more than email and web anyhow. Her days of teaching things like MS Access are over. Could almost give her a Chromebook except she likes using Outlook for her email.

Top Bottom