Anyone running Windows 11 yet?

Will probably attempt to upgrade my gaming rig to 11 today or tomorrow with the TPM trick. For dev work though I have completely moved over to my 2019 intel macbook pro and my new m1 mac studio (besides my work laptop that runs Windows for dev which I really dislike, would be so much better if we could use WSL2).

Nope there is no difference in the OS whether the TPM is present or not.

Biggest let down was inability to drag a file into the taskbar and have the minimized program come to the foreground but they fixed that in 22H2 if Im not mistaken, and added explorer tabs so ++Productivity.

I just disable the "new" right click menu and it's good to go. Also disabled the web search in start menu. Though that was already part of windows 10 wasn't it. No clue cause I upgraded from Windows 7.
When I get busy with game development stuff, I will sometimes have ~100+ windows open, so I need right side task bar, small icons, and collapsing to group only when the taskbar is full.

Otherwise I will just be switching to Linux full time in the future, as most of the reasons to stay on Windows are slowly disappearing.

...I'll just chime in to say I finally got on board the Windows 11 train just a few weeks ago and installed it on two PC's. Used a nifty piece of software that disables the usual mandatory prerequisite checks (one machine was using an older CPU) to install it. Once I managed to tweak some things to my liking...
I am somewhat reluctant to use a work-around to bypass requirements for Windows 11.

Here is a quote from a link posted earlier in this thread: "...[don't] blame Microsoft, especially as it notes that its set of security standards 'has been shown to reduce malware by 60%'. And reducing malware on systems helps stop the spread to other systems, so that's a net gain for everyone.

Also, think about the security requirements this way. Yes, you may not run a business at home off your laptop, but you could wind up working for a company whose IT department requires a secure-enough laptop. You never know when you'll be in a BYOPC (Bring Your Own PC) situation where you'll need to meet someone else's requirements."

The message seems to be that we legitimate users need to stay ahead of malware providers.

I am somewhat reluctant to use a work-around to bypass requirements for Windows 11.

Here is a quote from a link posted earlier in this thread: "...[don't] blame Microsoft, especially as it notes that its set of security standards 'has been shown to reduce malware by 60%'. And reducing malware on systems helps stop the spread to other systems, so that's a net gain for everyone.

Also, think about the security requirements this way. Yes, you may not run a business at home off your laptop, but you could wind up working for a company whose IT department requires a secure-enough laptop. You never know when you'll be in a BYOPC (Bring Your Own PC) situation where you'll need to meet someone else's requirements."

The message seems to be that we legitimate users need to stay ahead of malware providers.
Well, it's completely up to you, obviously. To me, this is sort of analogous to when browsers started enforcing SSL certification and serving you all those scary warnings every time you try to access an http site or one with an expired certificate. Those sites are not neccessarily any more a danger than they were before, especially when there's no financial transactions taking place. So yes, the TPM will give you added protection, but are you really any more at risk now than you were the previous years you went without it? Maybe so, but with the usual safe guards, such as virus scanners, firewalls, etc., it's debatable, at least to me. Besides, once TPM is more or less universally adopted, you'll probably be lucky to be able to open a Word document or an audio file on your desktop without it, since corporations will likely use it more and more to enforce DRM, so I'm reluctant to add my support :)

Last edited:
Well, it's completely up to you, obviously. To me, this is sort of analogous to when browsers started enforcing SSL certification and serving you all those scary warnings every time you try to access an http site or one with an expired certificate. Those sites are not necessarily any more a danger than they were before, especially when there's no financial transactions taking place...
I agree. The TPM 2.0 requirement seems similar to the SSL requirement. Both are parts of a never-ending process of keeping up with technology.

I can remember when my parents' dial telephone was replaced by a push-button phone. I was in high school when the concept of "area codes" & push-button dialing was introduced by AT&T at an assembly of our student body...oops... I am disclosing my age. :)

Today we have TPM 2.0 and SSL. Tomorrow, it will be something new.

Wait, but why are you keeping from Windows 11 just because you don't have a TPM? If you don't have it in Windows 10 then you don't have it in Windows 11. Both versions of the OS support using a TPM. And it just starts using the TPM when it's present. What Microsoft has created is an artificial market segmentation. It seems to like doing this for marketing purposes, just like how it pretended that Windows 10 upgrades would be available for a limited time only, but in reality they are still available to this date.

Wait, but why are you keeping from Windows 11 just because you don't have a TPM? If you don't have it in Windows 10 then you don't have it in Windows 11. Both versions of the OS support using a TPM. And it just starts using the TPM when it's present. What Microsoft has created is an artificial market segmentation. It seems to like doing this for marketing purposes, just like how it pretended that Windows 10 upgrades would be available for a limited time only, but in reality they are still available to this date.
At least until they do an update that actually requires TPM and it screws up your system because you've bypassed the system requirements.

This happened with several patches in Windows Vista.

You can usually just check your mobo manufacturer, and see if there is an update for the BIOS. Some had TPM, just did not have it enabled or visible to the UEFI.

At least until they do an update that actually requires TPM and it screws up your system because you've bypassed the system requirements.
Yes, that's my concern too. A work-around could be heading down a road to trouble ahead.

You can usually just check your mobo manufacturer, and see if there is an update for the BIOS. Some had TPM, just did not have it enabled or visible to the UEFI.
A BIOS update was available for one of my 4 home computers. The update provided TPM capability, and that machine is now running Windows 11 just fine. However, the motherboard in that machine is only about 2 years old. My other 3 computers have motherboards about 10+ years old...I think TPM didn't even exist then. So, I will probably have to replace the motherboards, processor, & memory in those 3.

TPM 2.0 came out in 2014, so unlikely.

Any computer that is older than ~6 years old isn't going to get much of an improvement by updating.

When I get busy with game development stuff, I will sometimes have ~100+ windows open, so I need right side task bar, small icons, and collapsing to group only when the taskbar is full.

Otherwise I will just be switching to Linux full time in the future, as most of the reasons to stay on Windows are slowly disappearing.
What kind of stuff have you been making when it comes to game dev? I've been thinking about finally learning game dev since I finally got a software engineering job and have the time. Been pondering trying out Godot.

Top Bottom