Anyone running Windows 11 yet?

I catch myself every weekend stroking the Commodore C64 in the basement. You are all sick, the old times were better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have Windows 10 LTSB until 2025
Why buy something new ?

That's too much power for me. I prefer stroking my Zx-81 +expansion pack that I use for rendering a Star trek Montage I started 15 years ago, Still waiting for it to finish Rendering.

Windows 11 requires TPM (Trusted Platform Module) 2.0. I didn’t even know what TPM was until a few days ago when I started thinking about what I need to do to upgrade my 4 home computers over the next 2 or 3 years.

So I ran the Microsoft PC Health Check utility on my newest computer (a 2 year old ASUS motherboard) and it flunked. The results were that “TPM could not be found, but TPM capability might be available” (not an exact quote, but close). That message was rather vague & not helpful I thought.

Digging deeper, I that found my ASUS motherboard has a TPM 14-1 pin connector with nothing connected to it and no hint of any TPM capability in the BIOS setup. So today I went to a local computer store intending to purchase a TPM module to plug into the connector. I was told that most motherboards that have shipped within the past 3-4 years include a TPM connector, however, depending on the processor installed, native TPM 2.0 is included (i.e. no additional chip is required). The connector is there for processors that do not include TPM capability. I was advised to check for a BIOS update for my motherboard.

I returned home and found there was an ASUS BIOS update available for my motherboard. I installed the BIOS update. The process went smoothly, and BINGO I now have TPM 2.0 capability at no additional cost.

After the BIOS update and a rerun of MS Health Check utility, the computer received all green lights for Windows 11. I now understand why the statement from MS PC Health Check was so vague…because there are variables.

That’s 1 computer prepped for Windows 11; and 3 more to go.

I catch myself every weekend stroking the Commodore C64 in the basement. You are all sick, the old times were better

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have Windows 10 LTSB until 2025
Why buy something new ?
Now you're making me nostalgic. My friends and I killed lots of time playing Summer Games and Winter Games back in the day. And lots of other C64 goodness, too. My first computer (all my friends had them, too, save one who used his father's Apple II).

I'll stick to Mac OS :cool:

However, saying that, Windows 11 does look great. (I use a Windows Machine for work, so here's hoping our I.T team will have us upgraded soon!)

whoo...first post here in a lonnnng time, it seems. I currently cannot upgrade to Win 11 due to the hardware restrictions. I built this PC back in 2011-ish. It's still running strong and I see no need to replace it yet, especially with the chip shortage and what not. If the time comes...I may just need to switch out OS's.

Starting to miss Windows server lately.

I notice significant performance issues when navigating folders in explorer.
Right now I'm trying to clear up decades worth of photos and items in Google drive and One drive, it's so sluggish it's unbearable
If I have any music playing when searching folders, the music stutters like it's straining.
Doesn't seem to be specific to google or one drive, though, as it does it on my regular SSD storage drive as well.
Notice others are reporting something similar, it seems to affect the windows interface itself, even when typing something into the start menu search, it pauses for about 2-3 seconds before it starts to find the app I'm looking for.

Well, since this thread has been resurrected, I'll just chime in to say I finally got on board the Windows 11 train just a few weeks ago and installed it on two PC's. Used a nifty piece of software that disables the usual mandatory prerequisite checks (one machine was using an older CPU) to install it. Once I managed to tweak some things to my liking, like rearranging the taskbar, getting my right-click context menu back to what I'm used to, adjusting the indexing system so that folders didn't keep going unresponsive, etc., everything was pretty much back to normal for me. Meaning it hasn't been much different for me than using Windows 10: can't say that things are really better or worse. I'm sure the improvements are more noteworthy for some, as well as the annoyances for some, but for now it's mostly more of the same for me.

I do!

My WINDOWS.webp

Well, since this thread has been resurrected, I'll just chime in to say I finally got on board the Windows 11 train just a few weeks ago and installed it on two PC's. Used a nifty piece of software that disables the usual mandatory prerequisite checks (one machine was using an older CPU) to install it.
So I presume your older cpu does not have TPM capability?

Microsoft has stated that the TPM requirement is to help increase security against firmware and ransomware attacks. I don't recall seeing that it is optional in windows 11.

I wonder how much of a problem firmware and ransonware attacks are for a typical home user. Has anyone experienced that type of attack...as a non-business/non-commerical user?

Well, since this thread has been resurrected, I'll just chime in to say I finally got on board the Windows 11 train just a few weeks ago and installed it on two PC's. Used a nifty piece of software that disables the usual mandatory prerequisite checks (one machine was using an older CPU) to install it. Once I managed to tweak some things to my liking, like rearranging the taskbar, getting my right-click context menu back to what I'm used to, adjusting the indexing system so that folders didn't keep going unresponsive, etc., everything was pretty much back to normal for me. Meaning it hasn't been much different for me than using Windows 10: can't say that things are really better or worse. I'm sure the improvements are more noteworthy for some, as well as the annoyances for some, but for now it's mostly more of the same for me.

The pre-requisites check is done by a dll in the installer which, if missing, the installer skips the checks.

1672005435604.webp

Considering Windows 11 is available as a free upgrade to anyone running Windows 10, it seems slightly surprising that 10 still appears to account for around 70% of world wide Windows based installations.

It makes me wonder how many incompatible devices there are and if Microsoft would have done better to make TPM optional.

Considering Windows 11 is available as a free upgrade to anyone running Windows 10, it seems slightly surprising that 10 still appears to account for around 70% of world wide Windows based installations.

It makes me wonder how many incompatible devices there are and if Microsoft would have done better to make TPM optional.
A lot of people will not downgrade to 11 because of minor productivity changes; it is a power users worst nightmare 😒.

Good question. Is TPM really important?

Good question. Is TPM really important?

Nope there is no difference in the OS whether the TPM is present or not.
A lot of people will not downgrade to 11 because of minor productivity changes; it is a power users worst nightmare 😒.

Biggest let down was inability to drag a file into the taskbar and have the minimized program come to the foreground but they fixed that in 22H2 if Im not mistaken, and added explorer tabs so ++Productivity.

I just disable the "new" right click menu and it's good to go. Also disabled the web search in start menu. Though that was already part of windows 10 wasn't it. No clue cause I upgraded from Windows 7.

Top Bottom