Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

Fred Sherman

When the iPhone 4 came out June 2010, I did not get one. For me, the tale of the tape (http://www.apple.com/iphone/compare-iphones/) just didn't justify upgrading after only a year.

Now my phone is over 2 years old and starting to show some wear and tear, but is it really worth the upgrade to iPhone 5?

http://www.thetechlabs.com/tech-news/iphone-5-features/

I already have all of the iOS5 features, so nothing to gain there. What will make or break it for me will be 4G support. Some rumors claim the iPhone 5 will be 4G, others say no.

What could happen is that there will be no iPhone 5 at all. What if the Sept/Oct release is an iPhone 4GS with everything listed in the link above except 4G? I've heard this as a possible scenario, with the iPhone 5 coming next summer with dual A6 chips and 4G, following on the heels of the iPad 3.

If that happens, as much as I like my iMac, Macbook Air, iPad and iPhone as a combination, I might have to consider other options.

I got the iPhone4 in November, so I have no reason to upgrade.
So I am waiting for Tim Cook to give me a reason to upgrade.
But I also have no problem waiting until I have my 2 years done with, and renew it - and invest in a new phone.

Although it does look pretty I'm going to give it a pass come upgrade time in February, will probably go for a flagship HTC or Motorola Android.

I will probably get the new one as I have three phones on my plan and the way the contract seems to work is that they give the "main account holder" (me) an automatic or expedited (can't remember which) upgrade and you have to wait for later for the other account holders. That's how it worked when I upgraded to the 4. I am not sure on this, but I think I will get the 5, and then be able to give my son my current 4. Then in 6 months, my wife should be able to upgrade to 5, too.

I heard (can't confirm, of course) that the 5 will have a dual processor. That by itself would make it attractive to me. 4G would be cool, but if not, I can wait (I was a long time Sprint customer before 3 years ago and waited in vain for several years for their promised network upgrades for my HTC Mogul....after billing problems, I dumped them in favor of AT&T).

IMHO... if it doesn't have 4G it's not worth even looking at. End of story.

A thought - unless you're willing to pay the early termination fee (or buy it outright for $700+ with tax), you're stuck with a 3G phone for 2 years. Going from 3G to 4G is like going from VHS tapes to high definition HDTV... An iPhone without 4G is a *huge* mistake.

If it comes to Sprint like the rumors suggest, I'll consider it--I'll finally be able to upgrade to my first smartphone in December. Haven't made a decision, though, especially since I'd prefer a slide-out keyboard.

iPhone 8 will be the best yet. Take that to the bank! (It will make espresso - separate App required- and has a quick scan of terrain built in app that rates the ground for safety of barefooting).

I have the 4, I plan on skipping the 5 and then upgrading when 6 comes around... seen as though Apple seem quite consistent on a 2 year (approx) release cycle.

I'm still on 3Gs. When iPhone 4 came out, the 3Gs went on sale for $49.
I'm hoping that when iPhone 5 comes out, the 4 will go on sale as well. That is when I will get the iPhone 4.
I never ever get a new release. Always too many bugs. If/when the iPhone 6 is release, is when I would get the 5.

Top Bottom