Anyone planning on getting an iPhone 4S? (was iPhone 5)

Yes, I just wanted to point out that those 3/25 mio numbers probably include international sales. :)

Also, you really can not buy any phone without a contract? Subsidized phones with 2-year contracts are pretty common here in Germany too, but as far as I know you can buy almost every phone unlocked, too (and in my case, that’s generally cheaper than with a contract, because I hardly use my phone for actually calling people). I knew you pretty much have hardware netlock, but that’s new to me …

You can purchase unlocked phones from eBay and any number of places, but then they don't have warranties.

And that is craziness. So all these people are purchasing the 4s, knowing that 5 will most likely be out next year, but they're locked into a 2-yr contract.
I guess they figure they can pay the early cancellation penalties and get 5.

Must be nice to have that kind of $!
As far as AT&T goes: You don't have to wait two years to renew. The lines are eligible for upgrade every single year, it just renews your contract for another two years. So if you don't plan on leaving the phone company, what's wrong with upgrading yearly?

Apple releases every year; so yes, your logic does mean that it is never sensible to upgrade because there's always something coming out the next year.
Also, where can you purchase an iPhone without a 2-yr contract here in the States?
Umm.... Apple. Of course you don't get the pricing that everybody who begins a new contract gets, but yes, you can buy them unlocked. And yes, I'm talking about in the United States.

As for is anyone planning on getting the 4S? I preordered mine Saturday. :D

Yes the lines are eligible for upgrade every year, I know that, been with AT&T for quite a few years. Mine is eligible for upgrade now, BUT I would have to pay full price for the phone. I'd rather wait a few more months and get the phone at a discount.

Slightly off topic but this made me smile.

'All we need now is for iPhones to start playing up and we'll have the dream headline: Apple and Blackberry crumble'

Yes the lines are eligible for upgrade every year, I know that, been with AT&T for quite a few years. Mine is eligible for upgrade now, BUT I would have to pay full price for the phone. I'd rather wait a few more months and get the phone at a discount.

If your due for an early upgrade you get the same discounted price as with starting a new contract. I do it yearly but usually only the main line can do so. So to upgrade to a iPhone4s you would have to spend $199. I've only had my iPhone4 since its release and have already confirmed with AT&T that I can upgrade at that price.

And to add, the iPhone4S seems like a decent upgrade especially if you have a 3GS. The processing power of the 4S is much better than the 4. A5 dual core chip plus a dual core graphics processor compared to the iPhone4's single core chips. The video is a touch better as is the camera. Siri is also not going to be available on anything but the 4S from what I have read thus far, which is a disappointment. Hopefully Apple can sneak it in a update down the road.

If your due for an early upgrade you get the same discounted price as with starting a new contract. I do it yearly but usually only the main line can do so. So to upgrade to a iPhone4s you would have to spend $199. I've only had my iPhone4 since its release and have already confirmed with AT&T that I can upgrade at that price.

And to add, the iPhone4S seems like a decent upgrade especially if you have a 3GS. The processing power of the 4S is much better than the 4. A5 dual core chip plus a dual core graphics processor compared to the iPhone4's single core chips. The video is a touch better as is the camera. Siri is also not going to be available on anything but the 4S from what I have read thus far, which is a disappointment. Hopefully Apple can sneak it in a update down the road.
I actually called to upgrade my phone (it's a Samsung Strive that came with the plan; crappy and cheap free phone when we switch to AT&T since I wanted an iPhone but was waiting for the release) and they told me that if I wanted to replace my phone, it would be an early upgrade and I would have to pay what I assume is the full device price of the phone from what I could tell. I've had the plan for almost a year now, which would be in November I think, but they said I don't qualify for an upgrade until next year in November when the contract is up. :confused:

I was hoping it would be cheaper because I don't have a smart phone, and wanted to get the iPhone and stop using this crappy thing. Looks like even if I'm not trying to upgrade early from a smart phone it doesn't matter, and sucks that I have to pay a huge fee to get it. :(

So you purchased your current phone in March of this year? That is the only way I see them saying you would have to pay full price..

Be very careful about those one year upgrades. Verizon Wireless changed many of their policies - including those early upgrade plans. In addition, many companies are going to tiered Internet data pricing. If you wait a year to get your iPhone 5, you may be nailed with tiered Internet instead of unlimited 4G (or something better than future tiered pricing) by getting a 4G phone now. Having a 4G phone, honestly, I'd never consider anything else. The 4S sounds a lot like 4G (wonder why the number didn't change) and while the processing speed improvement is good, I would say that the iPhone 4 is easily fast enough for most things and the Internet speed is king. Try it out yourself and read the fine print. Good luck and enjoy whatever phone you get.

I actually called to upgrade my phone (it's a Samsung Strive that came with the plan; crappy and cheap free phone when we switch to AT&T since I wanted an iPhone but was waiting for the release) and they told me that if I wanted to replace my phone, it would be an early upgrade and I would have to pay what I assume is the full device price of the phone from what I could tell. I've had the plan for almost a year now, which would be in November I think, but they said I don't qualify for an upgrade until next year in November when the contract is up. :confused:

I was hoping it would be cheaper because I don't have a smart phone, and wanted to get the iPhone and stop using this crappy thing. Looks like even if I'm not trying to upgrade early from a smart phone it doesn't matter, and sucks that I have to pay a huge fee to get it. :(

Yea if your are a month away from having the contract for a year you will get that. I have upgraded with only having my phone for a little more than a year, although AT&T says it has to be 20 months..

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/upgrade-advantage.jsp

EDIT: iOS5 is out today and I am currently installing on my iPhone4 :)

So you purchased your current phone in March of this year? That is the only way I see them saying you would have to pay full price..

Me? No, I purchased my iPhone in November of last year (2010), which is why I'm eligible to upgrade now - at full price. If I want a discounted upgrade I have to wait til March, which would be 16 months.

Just a friend on Facebook:
I really like my I phone... It has held up to the shop environment better than any other smart phone I have owned... I went through 5 blackberry's in just a few months but my I phone has only needed replaced once in two years... I just ordered the new one.... Not sure how I feel about this new OS though.... I guess I'll give it a shot before I complain too much....

And:
I just did the Os update. Took 2 flippin hours but so far I am impressed

I've been trying to upgrade my iPad2 and iPhone. I loathe itunes, but realize I need to have it installed JUST to update the iPad and iPhone OS's, that is until iOS 5 is installed.... allegedly.

The problem I have is that the iPad and iPhone have more data to backup than I have space for on the computer that I sync apps with, and there isn't an option to NOT backup when the update is applied.

So I'm lucky enough to have another machine with enough space. I installed iTunes (just to do the iOS upgrade(!)), then find out that I need to transfer all my purchases in iTunes to that machine, then backup and upgrade the OS, but iTunes still tells me that all my apps and data will be wiped off the devices because this "new machine" isn't what I normally use to sync. If I try to set up sync with this "new machine", iTunes tells me that all my apps and saved stuff on the devices will be removed and replaced with stuff from the "new machine".

So what I really have to do is use my "old machine" that the devices sync with, and DELETE all the photos, music and videos on the Apple products, back them up somewhere else, do the upgrades on the devices, then RESTORE the photos, music and videos back to the iPhone and iPad when the upgrade is complete.

It's a great system..... I have a hunch that that first "over the air" update will be just as big a PITA.

ugh I have to call AT&T to set up the personal hotspot on my iPhone in order to connect the iPad with it to get online.
And charges will apply, of course.

I'll have to see just what the charges will be. It may not be worth it to drop the MiFi.

This phone is almost perfect for me...the only things I like about blackberry that the iphone didnt have was the little blinking light that told me when I had a message (so small...so simple...yet not on the Iphone) and blackberry messenger. Now that imessenger has been born...that's enough to get me to switch :D

This phone is almost perfect for me...the only things I like about blackberry that the iphone didnt have was the little blinking light that told me when I had a message (so small...so simple...yet not on the Iphone) and blackberry messenger. Now that imessenger has been born...that's enough to get me to switch :D
One thing I also discovered iOS5 has is the ability to add custom words and shortcuts to the dictionary. A small but much-needed feature that I've missed since my BlackBerry days. :D

Top Bottom