• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Anyone got "Private node" to work ....

Jethro

Am mucking about trying to setup staff forums with only Admins able to view one forum. Have ticked private node and individually given two Admins all permissions. However when I can to forum view neither Admin can see the forum.

And yes have tried inherit and allow on the member group.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Works fine for me.

Is the private forum under a category? If so then make sure they have access to the category as well.

Jethro

Works fine for me.

Is the private forum under a category? If so then make sure they have access to the category as well.
Yeap Have a category "Staff Forums" with "Admins" under that, all set up I think correctly. Will have another check, but at the moment not seeing the cat or the forum :(

Mr_Bob

What worked for me was setting all usergroup permissions to "inherit", which I think they are by default, selecting the private option, and going specifically to grant user in the upper right, and selecting "allow" for all components I wanted them to have. Otherwise, it didn't work as I anticipated.

Mike

XenForo developer
Staff member
Private nodes simply reset everyone's view permissions for that node, so you just need to allow "can view node" for the users/groups you want to give access.

Mark.B

Private nodes simply reset everyone's view permissions for that node, so you just need to allow "can view node" for the users/groups you want to give access.
Thanks Mike, this had been baffling me somewhat, but I've got it now. I have managed to create a staff forum node with what seem to be the right permissions.

I think for us vB types it's a matter of forgetting the vB way of doing things because it throws you somewhat if you don't.