Anyone from Texas?

Dixie McCall

Hey All,
I'm considering moving to Texas, anyone from there have any insight? Originally for So Cal, moved to Florida then now in Mid West. It's just too dang cold here and not as inexpensive as we anticipated. I'm considering the Lubbock area.

Thanks.

Gail

I believe it's actually pronounced Texarse.

:D

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NC here - just about the right mix of hot and cold, although it's very expensive and very humid a lot of the time.

Lived in Raleigh for two years-hated it for reasons I won't say but it's not related to southerners. LOL But overall I liked NC as a state.

Most of my family is in NC ( Garner and Fuquay.) I love some things about NC but it's hot as hell during the summer-much like Florida. I would have stayed but home prices skyrocketed right about then and concerned about 2A then and now.

Midwestern states are deceptive as house prices are less but they tax the heck out of people at the state and local levels-at least where I live now. We are the same as CA in local and state taxes. Homeowners insurance and property taxes are bizarrely high here too.

Gonna be minus 20 wind chill for about a week starting Monday. If you want warm you better be thinking further south like Waco or San Antone or Austin. Winters get brutal on the south plains and even more so on the high plains where I'm at.
We aren't too far from you and yeah it's gonna be a brutal week ahead. :oops: Austin and Waco are def out, haven't researched San Antonio but have friends there. Many friends have moved to Texas and all conservative-minded transplants from So Ca. lol Another military friend lives in San Antonio and loves it but his mother (my best friend) thinks it's too hot there. IDK.

Last edited:
Florida 1800sqft house . 2200/year insurance 600/year extra for hurricane /flood insurance not in flood zone No State Income Tax
Very small mid-western semi rural town - 1700 sqft house Insurance 2400/year California Tax Rate equivalent State and local.
With no claims ever.

Go figure?

Florida 1800sqft house . 2200/year insurance 600/year extra for hurricane /flood insurance not in flood zone No State Income Tax
Very small mid-western semi rural town - 1700 sqft house Insurance 2400/year California Tax Rate equivalent State and local.
With no claims ever.

Go figure?
I live out in the wide open prairie near Wildorado I'm about 46 miles from Amarillo, a metro of about 200k population. I have a 1600 SF house paid off free and clear, some acerage, well water septic tank and nearest neighbor is 5 miles away. Property tax is 550 annually homeowners insurance is around 900 annually. My freezers are full of food and I need only drive 16 miles to get beer. Fishing at several regional lakes all summer and lots of HS and college football in the fall. And just enjoying the stunning Llano Estacado sunsets every evening from my deck. Have lived all over the US but came home come early retirement time. Wouldn't trade with anyone.

I'd need a tractor trailer ...
Heh.

If I had more people around besides my lady I'd use a horse trailer. A semi is too much for even my younger days haha. I've never been much of a drinker but do enjoy a few of an evening typically. No hard stuff at all except for a little Crown Royal during the really cold snaps we get.

Last edited:
enjoying the stunning Llano Estacado sunsets
Back in October:

mysunset.webp

property tax is waaaaaay different.
Around $7,500 for us.
That's about what they hit a Bud of mine with, when he built a massive Barndominium on his property about 9 miles from me. New construction is where they tag your arse. My house is depreciated, it's 25 years old. Of course he's got around 9000 square feet too.

I live out in the wide open prairie near Wildorado I'm about 46 miles from Amarillo, a metro of about 200k population. I have a 1600 SF house paid off free and clear, some acerage, well water septic tank and nearest neighbor is 5 miles away. Property tax is 550 annually homeowners insurance is around 900 annually. My freezers are full of food and I need only drive 16 miles to get beer. Fishing at several regional lakes all summer and lots of HS and college football in the fall. And just enjoying the stunning Llano Estacado sunsets every evening from my deck. Have lived all over the US but came home come early retirement time. Wouldn't trade with anyone.
Sounds and looks fantastic. I will have to check that area.

Only?!

ONLY?!?!??!

Our house insurance costs are about the same but property tax is waaaaaay different.
Around $7,500 for us.
Good grief! $7500/year??? HITH do you afford that? I'm in the wrong business. LOL The last time I was in NC was 2014 and it wasn't that bad then for a 2500 sqf house in Cary. I think it ran around 3k/year. I rented in Raleigh prior to Cary and rent was just starting to get more expensive. Then moved to Cary house for awhile and started to see prices go up significantly. That same house is probably twice as much now.

Sounds and looks fantastic. I will have to check that area.
If I were gonna move I'd be looking for property near Canadian TX.

Lubbock and the south plains is really crappy, dirty dusty living. Cotton country and low elevation. We're 2500 feet above sea level up here in the Panhandle.

Top Bottom