Anybody think 1.2 is a little slow?

I just went to macrumors forums on my ipad mini in portrait mode, and then loaded XenForo in portrait mode and XF loaded about twice as fast for me. I tried both twice more, same results.
And I will add, XF is a lot easier to read, macrumor's forum text is too small for me.

I just went to macrumors forums on my ipad mini in portrait mode, and then loaded XenForo in portrait mode and XF loaded about twice as fast for me. I tried both twice more, same results.
And I will add, XF is a lot easier to read, macrumor's forum text is too small for me.
I can not say twice faster, but same thing on my ipad4, but on a iphone4s, there is difference, tmobile 3g

I feel a big difference compared to vbulletin when used for a lot of forums

On my website for example, we have more than 600 forums, loading reaches 1s only for the generated html, vbulletin now it drops to 300ms ....

I believe that only the lack xenforo mature a little more ..

My server is also exhibiting lower number of SQL queries and less server load since upgrading from XF 1.1.4 to XF 1.2.1 - i.e. faster ... (y):D

1.1.4 is much faster than 1.2, and even slower than vb4.2.1

same server same condition
Are you kidding me?

SociallyUncensored.eu has about 92 people online right now, we have 80 add-ons install to add to that load, and we're only on shared hosting at the moment. :eek:

So the odds are stacked against us. :cautious:

Despite all that....

Untitled.webp

3 seconds with 92 online, 80 add-ons, on a shared host..... I dare vBulletin to do this. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
The only forum so far I have found to use less resources then xF 1.2 with emulating 100 concurrent MySQL connections is Burning Board 4 beta. But that's still beta so who knows what the final product will be. Burning Board 3 is about equal to vB 4.2 in resources.

I think I actually concur that on my iPhone 4S in Safari, XenForo.com loads slightly slower than the MacRumors.com forum.

But to a certain extent this is expected. The two solutions for mobile are very different between the two sites. As already pointed out, one is specifically a mobile style. The other is a responsive style.

The XenForo style has a whole bunch of JS that does stuff during load to help the responsive aspects (the visitor panel in particular), the XenForo style on smaller devices obviously renders the same amount of HTML and CSS as it does on larger devices so if you get down into the nitty gritty of it, a dedicated mobile style is still probably going to load faster.

But to answer an earlier question as to whether it's time for XenForo to move to a dedicated mobile style... absolutely not. Think about the repercussions of that. First, the experience and look and feel often differs a great deal between mobile and desktop. Or it takes a great deal of effort to get the look and feel the same.

A responsive style works out of the box, looks the same across mobile and desktop, and if you make a change, there's only one style to manage.

And, I hasten to add, in my opinion, bearing in mind I use XenForo.com on my mobile extensively, although I can see a difference between the two sites, it's pretty negligible.

I just upgraded to 1.2.1. I do find it a little slower..the site hangs a bit before moving forward.

Now, I'm guessing its one of the add-on(s) that may be effecting this since this site (xenforo.com) is blazing fast...but who knows.

John

Are you kidding me?

SociallyUncensored.eu has about 92 people online right now, we have 80 add-ons install to add to that load, and we're only on shared hosting at the moment. :eek:

Despite all that....

View attachment 56779

3 seconds with 92 online, 80 add-ons, on a shared host..... I dare vBulletin to do this. :ROFLMAO:
you did this on a smart phone? on my desktop, ipad or laptop on a high speed wifi, can't tell the difference, but on a smart phone, xenforo is slow, more and more people use their smart phone surfing on web when waiting for their wife shopping in an outlet, mall, on a bus or subway to go to work, at this point, xenforo is a little behind others, I tried vb4.2.1 default mobile style, which is good, and ipb default mobile style, good too, I wish xenforo can do a even better job.

you did this on a smart phone? on my desktop, ipad or laptop on a high speed wifi, can't tell the difference, but on a smart phone, xenforo is slow, more and more people use their smart phone surfing on web when waiting for their wife shopping in an outlet, mall, on a bus or subway to go to work, at this point, xenforo is a little behind others, I tried vb4.2.1 default mobile style, which is good, and ipb default mobile style, good too, I wish xenforo can do a even better job.
On my smart phone the speed is about the same.

Could be your local cell phone provider or the phone its self which is the problem.

upload_2013-9-17_18-33-0.webp
upload_2013-9-17_18-32-47.webp

upload_2013-9-17_18-34-1.webp

upload_2013-9-17_18-38-14.webp
upload_2013-9-17_18-37-45.webp
http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130917_2S_1FEB/

Looks like the first visit to macrumors.com is slow (downloading the mobile style) but the repeat trips are quite quick.

These stats seem to replicate what the OP said about xenforo being slower than vB3 mobile. He probably also forgot about the first time he went to macrumors.com and it took 1 minute for anything to show up ! :)

Note: I visited macrumors.com on my iPhone 4S (Chrome, iOS 5.1.1) and it was super fast even the first time. (Maybe I had already been to that site before on my smartphone !).

Last edited:
I agree, but generally speaking, using your smart phone to visit macrumors, I can only say, they are really really fast
Webpagetest estimated repeat trips to macrumors are 10x faster than xenforo.com.
The first visit downloads 4 Mb though, and takes 60 seconds.

Last edited:
Are you kidding me?

Despite all that....

View attachment 56779

Poor server. :(

Lol just kidding. ;)

If you want to compare, try to compare default xf (without cache in the same server with same configuration)

I don't think xenForo is good for you.

Can you show us your site running vb4, ipb and xenForo ?

Hmm ... i just went to macrumors.com and it was super fast on my first visit.
both the forum and the home page.

Using Chrome browser on a 4S, iOS 5.1.1

Top Bottom