Anybody else love J-B Weld epoxy?

TPerry

I know I'm sure fond of it. I've used it numerous times in the past for repairs... but forgot how handy it can be. Of course, those that aren't willing to do work themselves probably have little knowledge of it.... but as Hank Jr said, a "country boy can survive". ;)

Had two parts of the telescope decided they didn't like being threaded together (think it was due to some thread failures on the ring)

1683369340661.png
1683369368987.png

That loosening caused my optical train (camera, filters, rotator, flattener/reducer and spacers to decide to start to separate from the main scope (they slide in the red round ring).
Checking after removing everything, you could tell that either the tube or the ring was stripped (leaned toward ring since there were manufactured flat spots running up and down the threads in about 4 places), and William Optics no longer stocked either one for parts and the scope has been out of production for about 4 years.

Get to scrounging around in the tool-box and come across a recently purchased tube of 2 part J-B Weld Epoxy (steel reinforced). Get to thinking about it and figure what the heck... can't be any worse that what I'm dealing with now. The big issue was making sure the two were threaded to the point of it "skipping" loose again.
Fifteen hours later, and the telescope is able to be back to doing this:

1683369592853.png

My big concern was making sure the ring and the tube were in alignment and I got no tilt... which the images captured showed I had nothing more than I had before (actually less than some of my more recent captures that the threads were loosening during the process of doing the captures).

So, for sure... if you got something stripped and you can't rethread it or get new pieces to replace what is stripped (and it's not totally trashed from being stripped) J-B Weld can become a dear friend to you (not only for metal, but many plastics), in addition to WD-40 and duct tape. Guess I need to update my signature!

Last edited:
Never thought I would see a topic about J-B Weld on this particular forum, but yes, I too have made good use of it over the years.
Honestly.. I've even had cause to use in in some computer infrastructure situations... it's one of those tools that many don't think of, and tend to overthink what they can use to fix something. They have versions that work for both metal and plastic... and in some cases that you HAVE to have your system back to running but the part is still days away, if you can fix it with J-B Weld.... you simply come out ahead until the part arrives.

Also, that's why it was posted in off-topic... many of us are not only cognizant of websites and setting up computers... some extend our pursuits into other areas, but J-B Weld may not be something that they've been exposed to. ;)
That's like I have 2 Seagate external hard drive solutions that are being held together with the J-B Weld plastic (very small "dabs" in areas that the "tabs" broke on the case). If I had not had a decent adhesive (and sorry, Super Glue doesn't meet that requirement) I would have basically lost the use of the cases.

Last edited:
Top Bottom