Any traditional artists out there?

Jo.

Just wondering if there are any established artists out there, with knowledge and experience with galleries... If so, have you heard of or know anything about the Agora Gallery in New York? Is it a genuine establishment or just another one of those 'vanity' galleries?

I was contacted by this gallery via my art website but I don't have much experience with galleries and am wondering if it might just be a scam to get money from artists or something lol...

Just wondering if there are any established artists out there, with knowledge and experience with galleries... If so, have you heard of or know anything about the Agora Gallery in New York? Is it a genuine establishment or just another one of those 'vanity' galleries?

I was contacted by this gallery via my art website but I don't have much experience with galleries and am wondering if it might just be a scam to get money from artists or something lol...
Google show is as a real Gallery...

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=Agora Gallery in New York&fb=1&gl=au&hq=Agora Gallery&hnear=New York, NY, USA&cid=0,0,15240394998532412840&ei=Z1RPTbzqAYf0cbW59PoF&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CCcQnwIwAQ

I would call the actual gallery and make sure it is not someone posing as them, but pre-supposing it is not.... then Woot!!! Girl :D

http://www.agora-gallery.com/

thanks! :)

I did do a bit of googling, but it's hard to tell if they're just trying to get money out of me lol. Not that they'll get very far if that is that case, but I wish I knew some other artists who have experience with this kind of thing.

It's nice to get a compliment from a gallery nonetheless I suppose... lol

thanks! :)

I did do a bit of googling, but it's hard to tell if they're just trying to get money out of me lol. Not that they'll get very far if that is that case, but I wish I knew some other artists who have experience with this kind of thing.

It's nice to get a compliment from a gallery nonetheless I suppose... lol

Yeah it sure is! Just make sure it is them, and of course... be cautious, but it sounds like you might have caught their eye, in which case, well done my dear, very well done! :D

ps... I want to see your art now, can you send me a link privately if you don't want to post it publically? :)

I dug into this a little for you. There are a number of sites claiming it is a scam, which may be a little harsh, but it is definitely a vanity gallery. They claimto be upfront about what they are and their fees, as seen here: http://www.agora-gallery.com/artistinfo/GalleryRepresentation.aspx, but the experience of artists who have dealt with them leads one to believe otherwise.

From what I've been able to find, their representation fees run several thousand dollars and they only promise you "exposure". The real question is exposure to what? They claim to be in the Chelsea art district, but the gallery address is actually SoHo.

If I were advising my own daughter, I would tell her that her talent is a gift meant to be shared. But nothing will crush your spirit more than someone who exploits your desire to share. Wait for the right opportunity. You owe it not only to yourself but to the God who blessed you with such talent to protect and nurture it.

I dug into this a little for you. There are a number of sites claiming it is a scam, which may be a little harsh, but it is definitely a vanity gallery. They claimto be upfront about what they are and their fees, as seen here: http://www.agora-gallery.com/artistinfo/GalleryRepresentation.aspx, but the experience of artists who have dealt with them leads one to believe otherwise.

From what I've been able to find, their representation fees run several thousand dollars and they only promise you "exposure". The real question is exposure to what? They claim to be in the Chelsea art district, but the gallery address is actually SoHo.

If I were advising my own daughter, I would tell her that her talent is a gift meant to be shared. But nothing will crush your spirit more than someone who exploits your desire to share. Wait for the right opportunity. You owe it not only to yourself but to the God who blessed you with such talent to protect and nurture it.

Some good advice in there Fred.

I must admit to not looking further into their site.....

If I am accepted what is the cost of the annual promotion and representation?
We offer a few options starting from $2950 which can be paid in six installments of $540 each. Renewal will be offered at the end of the first year at a reduced cost along with a profile in our bi-annual publication ARTisSpectrum Magazine http://www.artisspectrum.com/ at no additional cost. Please note that many of the artists that we represent renew their agreement after the first year. http://www.agora-gallery.com/artistinfo/artists_testimonials.aspx

What is the commission structure?
The commission structure on the sale of art is 70% for the artist and 30% for the gallery. Sales occur from our websites as well as from our exhibitions http://www.agora-gallery.com/soldartwork/sold_artwork.aspx

Possibly that is a legit structure for the amount of exposure, but a quite large fee and then a 30% commission on sales seems quite a lot to me.

Thanks so much for looking into this for me and for your advice - I really appreciate it! :) I know when you work with a gallery you do expect to pay for it, and it's a case of deciding if it's worth it. I've not really had much experience with this though and although I've had some of my work in a local gallery, it wasn't really a working relationship ...more a kind of one off kind of helping each other out thing.

I have my website and facebook page for sharing my work so I'll probably stick with that. If I ever have money to spare, maybe wall space in a big gallery would be worth it, but I'm not in a position to risk it at the moment. Thanks again for looking into it - it helped me a lot!

Possibly that is a legit structure for the amount of exposure, but a quite large fee and then a 30% commission on sales seems quite a lot to me.

Yeah... it is a lot of money (which I don't have to spare). 30% commission isn't actually that bad for a gallery... I've seen a lot of others that take a LOT more. The problem is whether or not you're likely to sell anything at all.

Ah well.

No legitimate gallery will charge you a penny. If you want to pay to show, there are likely any number of cooperative galleries in your city that will hang your art for a fee.

It's very difficult to get into a real New York City gallery. I don't think most any of them solicit new artists via their web sites. They don't have to. Artists come to them and are referred by artists they already represent.

A 30% commission is not excessive (in that particular world of thieves). Any of the Chelsea or Los Angeles galleries are going to take closer to 50%. But a good gallery can sell the hell out of the work they represent, and 50% of a lot of money is better than 100% of nothing.

No legitimate gallery will charge you a penny. If you want to pay to show, there are likely any number of cooperative galleries in your city that will hang your art for a fee.

It's very difficult to get into a real New York City gallery. I don't think most any of them solicit new artists via their web sites. They don't have to. Artists come to them and are referred by artists they already represent.

Thanks! :)

30% commission is not excessive, my point was it wa ON TOP of the $3,000 "representation fee"

Sounds like a good business model.... for THEM lol.

I don't think it is a scam as such, just a money making venture for the gallery, and as others have said, you will find galleries who will show you for free... sure they might take 50-70% on sales though.

30% commission is not excessive, my point was it wa ON TOP of the $3,000 "representation fee"

Sounds like a good business model.... for THEM lol.

I don't think it is a scam as such, just a money making venture for the gallery, and as others have said, you will find galleries who will show you for free... sure they might take 50-70% on sales though.

oh I see what you meant now lol sorry! :) I think I'll be avoiding them and just keep doing things the way I have been - building up a reputation, letting word of mouth do it's thing and keep working on my art portfolio so that when I'm ready I can look into galleries myself. :)

Top Bottom