1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any plans for direct SMF 1.x to Xenforo converter?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by MWM Consulting, Aug 30, 2012.

1. MWM Consulting

MWM Consulting New Member

I'm thinking of converting my forum (http://www.ultitalk.com) from SMF 1.x to Xenforo. However, from what I've read there is no direct converter from SMF to Xenforo. Are there any plans by the Xenforo team to create this? I have a feeling going from SMF > phpBB > Xenforo will result in lost or deconstructed data. Maybe I'm wrong? Anyone care to share there SMF > Xenforo conversion experience?

Also, while I have you, one problem I continue to battle with on UltiTalk is infiltration by spammers. I deal with at least one a day. And regardless of my attempts to thwart the spammers (IP blocking, Captchas, Questions) more and more continue to show up. Does Xenforo have better spammer blocking than SMF 1.x? Anyone have other suggestions for stopping Spammers from getting in?

- MWM
  2. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

For spam tools, there are only two built in, Q&A CAPTCHA and RE:CAPTCHA. There are some mods in the resources that use Stop Forum Spam and similar blacklists to screen registrations, but me personally prefer to use Q&A, as it seems to be working very good for me. There is also an addon from Key Captcha (https://www.keycaptcha.com/) that adds a puzzle type captcha.

As for the import process, I have no experience with that. I know that the import from phpBB3 is pretty good though.
  3. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

4. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

Within the next year, probably zero.
  5. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Also, let me know if you need some one to do your import. I have done SMF double imports before.
    CyclingTribe likes this.
  6. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

Jake Bunce likes this.
  7. Adam Howard

Adam Howard Well-Known Member

back up 1st.

This works on SMF v2 .... Upgrading your SMF isn't hard and all versions of SMF don't cost anything (it's a free project).

I would un-install any mods you have to help with the upgrade... They'll not be porting them over anyways. Once you've upgraded ..... Simply port over.
    Jake Bunce likes this.