Any plans for a CMS?

gmaister22

The reason i still haven't moved to xenForo is that you guys do not have an IP.Content replacement...

Are there any plans for it?

I do not want CMS in core IMO. I hate CMS of vBulletin. I do not to see them in core again in XF.

I don't think it would be in the core of the product but more like an official 1st party addon like the RM or ES. While I think they should concentrate on the core of the forum software I wouldn't be opposed to them creating a 1st party true actual CMS and not just a portal. When I say a true actual CMS I'm not talking something as powerful as Wordpress or even IP.Content (love it or hate it IP.Content is a powerful CMS type addon).

With my site, we tried using multiple CMS options including Drupal and Wordpress, but nothing could match the awesomeness of XenForo, XenForo beat our CMS in SEO as well as everything else, users preferred the forum more than reading cms articles.

We decided to just style XenPorta to something that suits us, and we plan on using XenPorta until an official (if any official) xF CMS add-on is released, yes, XenPorta is not a CMS just a portal but hey it works for us currently! We just need to highlight the article type of content. If you wish to have a look at what we've done with XenPorta - http://orojackson.com/ feel free to :p

And I'm sure, if and when xF comes out with its own official CMS add-on like the RM, it's going to leave every other forum software in dust. Because from what I know of XenForo, they are always innovative with everything, and they'll be setting the standard that every other forum software has to follow. May it be IPB, may it be vB, xF is the leader in innovation in today's forum market.

We decided to just style XenPorta to something that suits us, and we plan on using XenPorta until an official (if any official) xF CMS add-on is released, yes, XenPorta is not a CMS just a portal but hey it works for us currently! We just need to highlight the article type of content. If you wish to have a look at what we've done with XenPorta - http://orojackson.com/ feel free to :p

I like what you have done with xenPorta. It doesn't have a portal feel to it. It almost feels like a CMS.

With my site, we tried using multiple CMS options including Drupal and Wordpress, but nothing could match the awesomeness of XenForo, XenForo beat our CMS in SEO as well as everything else, users preferred the forum more than reading cms articles.

And I'm sure, if and when xF comes out with its own official CMS add-on like the RM, it's going to leave every other forum software in dust. Because from what I know of XenForo, they are always innovative with everything, and they'll be setting the standard that every other forum software has to follow. May it be IPB, may it be vB, xF is the leader in innovation in today's forum market.

I like this idea. I'm leaning towards just dumping wordpress so there are NOT two systems and complications. The only think is I am dependent on a couple of Wordpress plugins to process payments and Xenforo does NOT have the option to charge users UPFRONT before they register as a user. Doing it with upgrades after the fact is counterintuitive and messy. Does anyone have a solution to charge users upfront at time of registration?

Well I hate CMS. I hate CMS of vBulletin too. I wish XenForo will always be the original forum without CMS. Forums must not lose their structural ideology.
That's why I always said here that if they decide to create it, they should see it as a completely new product and do a lot of research on how to build a CMS the way it should be and not some quick add-on thing for the forum.

Too many people these days think a CMS is something that should come with the forum software. The IB management indeed made this mistake. I'm pretty confident KAM understand how it should be done.

I have a developer who is quite well with xenforo and can make a successful bridge with xenforo....

1) Allow users to signup through xenforo or wordpress and have their usernames, emails, and passwords be synced into the other platforms database as well.

2) Allow users to login and logout through either platform and be loggedin/loggedout through the others platform automatically.

3) Allow users to change their password through either wordpress or xenforo and have their password changed through the other database as well. Meaning password sync…

4) Allow Cross Posting… Comments and threads will also by synced

5) For wordpress comments…. If a member clicks on a members profile picture through one of the comments left on wordpress, it will lead to that members xenforo profile page.
Only reason why i would use comment avatars only and not all profile links is because plugins for wordpress use profiles as well and mixing those up would be catastrophic

I don't understand all these folks saying XenForo team should drop everything and make a CMS.

Question #1: Why do people need such tight integration between the CMS and Forum?

A CMS is typically authored, edited, and managed by just a handful of people who are a bit more technically savvy. 99.7% of forum users only need enough permissions to post Comments. I've seen forum administrators that open up Blogs to everyone and think the content will just write itself. It doesn't work that way. It's one thing to post sarcastic or witty comments. It's quite another to write a cohesive narrative worth reading.

That 0.3% of content authors who will be dedicated enough to post well-written articles on a regular basis are also smart enough to handle an extra login and password. I just don't think it's particularly crucial to have exact user permissions and parity between the forum and CMS. If your site will have a Shopping Cart, then during checkout, your shopping cart system could automagically create a Forum account for the user.

Question #2: If XenForo came out with a CMS 2 years from now, how many themes and plugins would there be?

Even if Mike and Kier did this and worked on nothing but a CMS for 2 years, and it was the best ever, it still wouldn't be Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla. Those products have a dozen developers each with tens of thousands of man hours over 10 years EACH. And more importantly, tens of thousands of Themes and thousands of Plugins have been written for each.

Everyone seems to want XenForo to get into the game console business, but don't care that there won't be any games.

I don't understand all these folks saying XenForo team should drop everything and make a CMS.

Question #1: Why do people need such tight integration between the CMS and Forum?

A CMS is typically authored, edited, and managed by just a handful of people who are a bit more technically savvy. 99.7% of forum users only need enough permissions to post Comments. I've seen forum administrators that open up Blogs to everyone and think the content will just write itself. It doesn't work that way. It's one thing to post sarcastic or witty comments. It's quite another to write a cohesive narrative worth reading.

That 0.3% of content authors who will be dedicated enough to post well-written articles on a regular basis are also smart enough to handle an extra login and password. I just don't think it's particularly crucial to have exact user permissions and parity between the forum and CMS. If your site will have a Shopping Cart, then during checkout, your shopping cart system could automagically create a Forum account for the user.

Question #2: If XenForo came out with a CMS 2 years from now, how many themes and plugins would there be?

Even if Mike and Kier did this and worked on nothing but a CMS for 2 years, and it was the best ever, it still wouldn't be Wordpress, Drupal, or Joomla. Those products have a dozen developers each with tens of thousands of man hours over 10 years EACH. And more importantly, tens of thousands of Themes and thousands of Plugins have been written for each.

Everyone seems to want XenForo to get into the game console business, but don't care that there won't be any games.

Then why do sites run on CMS's. Why don't they run on forum software? It's because CMS's are needed and forum software alone can't handle the job. Wordpress powers almost 30% of the entire Internet now. That's not chump change. Thousands of site owners are looking for a well-coded bridge from Wordpress into Xenforo. The developer who comes up with a proper solution will be very rich indeed.

I may be wrong, but you seem to confuse an article system with a CMS. vbCMS was no true CMS but an article system.
vbadvanced was more of a CMS than vbCMS ever was. Similarly the much requested feature of a widget system is essentially a request for a CMS.
But I do concur that a full blown CMS with content types should be a separate addon.
At the same time I do think that a widget / block management function should be the basis of any XF content. So that you can easily define what you want in your sidebar, header, footer, etc.
WP and Joomla may be great, but its not integrated with permissions, layout, notifications, reports, new content, etc. So the best experience you will get with that is a bolted on fragmented experience. Similarly how many of my forum users never see content in my photopost installation.

The people saying the team should drop everything is simply because they are overexcited and really want to switch to XenForo with a CMS strictly done by Kier and Mike, and that's certainly not possible, as they probably have a set of long-term goals they have to accomplish first.

If they knew they had to do a CMS to do good business they'd of made XenPortal instead of XenForo first.

Last edited:
As a style designer, hell no.

Adding this to core or even releasing it as separate package will mean that styles will have to support it. That's a lot of extra work and I'd rather switch to designing WordPress themes than styles for forum + CMS.

no one can be good at everything.

XF is a forum and I hope dev team will do everything they can to make it best software possible.
CMS is another peace of software and there are other applications that are best at it.
I cant imagine that small team of XF would have resources and time to make a decent CMS without endangering development of forum software.

I think the bridge (addon) is needed between some CMS (wordpress) and XF to integrate them and I hope that many of such needed addons will be created by the community.

Last edited:
Personally....

I think Wordpress should just come out with a really awesome forum. They spend all their time developing bbpress and it sucks! Doesn't even work with certain themes and it isn't even fun to use.

Top Bottom