Any IT Guys/Girls Here?

Id avoid a wireless printer
Why? Have you seen Google Cloud Print? http://www.google.com/cloudprint/learn/

Google Cloud Print is a new technology that connects your printers to the web. Using Google Cloud Print, you can make your home and work printers available to you and anyone you choose, from the applications you use every day. Google Cloud Print works on your phone, tablet, Chromebook, PC, and any other web-connected device you want to print from.

http://www.synology.com/support/tutorials_show.php?lang=enu&q_id=574

Overview
Synology NAS print server is designed to work with Google Cloud Print, allowing you to print files, emails, and other documents from mobile phones remotely. Simply connect your printer to Synology NAS, enter your Google account information, and you are ready to print out documents nearby or remotely using Google applications on any device. As long as the printer included on Synology’s compatibility list, you will be able to print and share resources from Google Cloud Print-enabled apps. The print service can also be shared with anyone using a Google Account.

This article guides you through the procedure of setting up Google Cloud Print support in order to print documents from anywhere you can access your Google account.

For their main site I'll quote them what @Slavik quoted me for VPS.

Instead of using Wordpress because I no longer like Wordpress, I'd rather use Xenforo and use Liquid Pro Forms.

Since I can design skins and stuff and know my way around bd widget, it won't be a problem designing their site.

I want to use Xenforo 1.2 instead of Wordpress because of Xenforo's awesome Responsive Design and resources.

I've installed Xenforo on my Macbook Pro locally using MAMP and will use my local installation as a test to see what it would look like if I set up both their website and business wiki information etc.

I'm going to create a separate local Xenforo installation for that business sensitive data using that Synology NAS device http://forum.synology.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_Host_a_Website_with_the_Synology_Server

Main thing I'm stuck on and worried about right now is the hardware. I was looking at desktops... then I started looking at the all-in-ones. Going off my work experience there seems to be tighter control over the hardware because you can't just switch out monitors and towers. They also cant really be as heavily customized later on hardware-wise as you can with desktops though. Hmm...

Main thing I'm stuck on and worried about right now is the hardware. I was looking at desktops... then I started looking at the all-in-ones. Going off my work experience there seems to be tighter control over the hardware because you can't just switch out monitors and towers. They also cant really be as heavily customized later on hardware-wise as you can with desktops though. Hmm...
I personally abhor the all-in-0ne desktops. More difficult to replace a main board if you need to, they are harder to upgrade components (and in some cases you cannot), and are generally more expensive. There is a reason that most businesses use the normal desktops. That's one reason I won't own a new iMac. The new iMac pro will be a little different beast, but it's expandability will get costly as most of your expansions will have to be done via Thunderbolt .

Holy f**k. this thread makes me cringe. Are you seriously making decisions based on peoples replies to a forum thread? You srsly need to tell the owner that you can't do this and hire a more competent person.

Holy f**k. this thread makes me cringe. Are you seriously making decisions based on peoples replies to a forum thread? You srsly need to tell the owner that you can't do this and hire a more competent person.
I think he may be taking input from some people who's opinion he trusts and acting upon that. No different than someone sitting around a table at a conference and talking shop and then making a decision based upon input from there really.

Holy cringe on these knikkity knuts just playin but yeah man I'm looking for some cool tips. If you have anything positive worth adding lemme know.

You need to step away from Google and cool 'new technology', considering if you go look at Googles long list of products they've delivered, then redacted a year or more later, it gets very messy for business use. There is a reason why businesses won't budge from MS Office, and that's because Microsoft have continuously updated their software, albeit many issues along the way, it is still in the marketplace and very backwards compatible in opening older document types. Office is THE industry recognised business software.

The simple fact you're looking at cool things versus stability is screaming that you need to seriously get some external local help to assist you with this. The fact that you're going to create them a business website using forum software also screams you aren't a web designer and shouldn't be touching that aspect of their business for them. You don't build a company website using forum software, you use a CMS... and the reason for that is because a business needs to deliver specific information about themselves as their priority. Xenforo's responsive design is laughable compared to existing responsive implementation easily available for Joomla or WP. Move some of these around in your browser and tell me if XF style comes close: http://demo.rockettheme.com & http://demo.gavick.com

You made a decision about their company website based on your limited knowledge in styling a forum software that suits you, NOT THEM.

Things you're saying screams that your ability to perform this job to an adequate standard for what the business needs is well below a basic benchmark knowledge. @Tracy Perry has stated you can get experience, which is true, however; he also stated he was programming things way before and had quite a foundational knowledge. You do not display that foundational knowledge IMHO Dre, and you really need to consult a local IT guy to help you with this, and not ask questions on a forum when you have no actual understanding or direction for the task at hand, or its obvious requirements.

Gmail is about the only product you should consider, IF, the clients needs require anywhere mail access and THEY want all their sent mail to remain in a single location. That is the problem with normal email delivered across devices, sent mail suddenly becomes lost and that can be disaster for any business. Gmail can be upgraded to a pro account per email address, per annum, and the mx routed to gmails server, so that you use your own email address from your domain at all times which is a requirement for business professionalism, yet all in and out mail is routed and stored via your gmail account.

Here is some advice which I feel you have skipped completely over... where is your list of questions that you put to the business owner on what they need?

Whilst there are statements above about the customer not always knowing what they need, that doesn't mean you do stupid crap like use a forum software for a business website. That type of statement is often more equipment reflective to cater expansion of their business.

Stay away from google Docs, spreadsheet, cloud print..etc. Is not worth the try, build something reliable and useful. Stay away from cloud services and anything that depend on something new. Look at the best options out there and use them, this will save you a ton of time after. Remember they will contact you for any downtime, trust me is not worth to experiment in their office.

Last edited:
I stumbled upon this. If you want serious IT advice from a professional let me know. I do this for a living.

4 office licenses run at about 250 each. Pretty standard pricing model.
Printer.. have them lease a Konica or something if they are going to be scanning a ton of documents. the officejet crap at staples is junk.
Desktop computers - Optiplex from Dell is a solid standard base machine used in many medical offices
NAS - Buffalo Terrastation (RAID obv.) or similar device. Combine this with MozyPro/Jungledisk cloud backup.

PM me if u need more help. Some of the advice on here has been awful.

Prime use we had for Google Apps was the calender and the email. Some used the Docs since there was not a share point for them to save files to (and what they did save was not important - all related information was available on the network in a read only folder).
You could always install the network attached storage, give each a folder on it to save their documents to and then have that folder also sync with Google Drive. M.S. Office is THE standard for office documents in the U.S. Some areas are using LibreOffice as a replacement - but that has issues of it's own.

I stumbled upon this. If you want serious IT advice from a professional let me know. I do this for a living.
So do some of the people that have been giving some advice.
Printer.. have them lease a Konica or something if they are going to be scanning a ton of documents. the officejet crap at staples is junk.
I do believe that option has already been recommended to him.

Desktop computers - Optiplex from Dell is a solid standard base machine used in many medical offices
That's ALL we use at the office I do work for. Latest ones we have in are the 990 series.
NAS - Buffalo Terrastation (RAID obv.) or similar device. Combine this with MozyPro/Jungledisk cloud backup.
We have one... and compared to the Drobo it's a piece of junk. :D
If money is "no object" as he related earlier - then the Drobo 800i is a good choice.

And some of it has been quite good.;)

You need to step away from Google and cool 'new technology', considering if you go look at Googles long list of products they've delivered, then redacted a year or more later, it gets very messy for business use. There is a reason why businesses won't budge from MS Office, and that's because Microsoft have continuously updated their software, albeit many issues along the way, it is still in the marketplace and very backwards compatible in opening older document types. Office is THE industry recognised business software.
I didn't say I wouldn't add Microsoft Office to the software list.

I see a lot of adverse reaction to this thread in regards to 'cool new technology'.

I thank God I can think outside the box and not be constrained to tradition like some people.

Anthony Parsons said:
The simple fact you're looking at cool things versus stability is screaming that you need to seriously get some external local help to assist you with this. The fact that you're going to create them a business website using forum software also screams you aren't a web designer and shouldn't be touching that aspect of their business for them. You don't build a company website using forum software, you use a CMS... and the reason for that is because a business needs to deliver specific information about themselves as their priority. Xenforo's responsive design is laughable compared to existing responsive implementation easily available for Joomla or WP. Move some of these around in your browser and tell me if XF style comes close: http://demo.rockettheme.com & http://demo.gavick.com

ou made a decision about their company website based on your limited knowledge in styling a forum software that suits you, NOT THEM.
Man that rockettheme demo is really impressive. I have used several CMS systems like Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress as well as played around with their vBulletin integrations and Xenforo's Wordpress integration. From my experience Wordpress does not offer as many easily configurable user options and permissions as Xenforo does without extreme customization. With addons like Addon Install and Upgrade and CMS systems like XenPorta and BD Widget Framework, Xenforo already makes an excellent CMS. I've even posted some resources myself on customizing Xenporta. I am more comfortable using BD Widget as a CMS than Wordpress especially since Wordpress and it's plugins requires more php edits to both the software, the plugins and it's themes than Xenforo. I don't know where your limited knowledge statement is coming from because I've not only released style resources on Xenforo I've also designed other Xenforo sites and have been paid for my work as well. Just because you don't like to use Xenforo as a CMS doesn't mean it can't be done. Plenty of people are doing it and have done it well.
Anthony Parsons said:
Things you're saying screams that your ability to perform this job to an adequate standard for what the business needs is well below a basic benchmark knowledge. @Tracy Perry has stated you can get experience, which is true, however; he also stated he was programming things way before and had quite a foundational knowledge. You do not display that foundational knowledge IMHO Dre, and you really need to consult a local IT guy to help you with this, and not ask questions on a forum when you have no actual understanding or direction for the task at hand, or its obvious requirements.
I don't display a foundational knowledge of programming? Are you a computer programmer? What have you created? What does computer programming have to do with the first post in this thread? She wants her office's computers to be hooked up so they can share the same printer and whatever else she wants them to share as long as their's no server involved. Do you really have to be a computer programmer to do that?

Anthony Parsons said:
Gmail is about the only product you should consider, IF, the clients needs require anywhere mail access and THEY want all their sent mail to remain in a single location. That is the problem with normal email delivered across devices, sent mail suddenly becomes lost and that can be disaster for any business. Gmail can be upgraded to a pro account per email address, per annum, and the mx routed to gmails server, so that you use your own email address from your domain at all times which is a requirement for business professionalism, yet all in and out mail is routed and stored via your gmail account.
I don't know which email they will prefer to use yet, outlook with their own site's domain or gmail with their own site's domain. Really up to them. I just have to explain the difference to them.
Anthony Parsons said:
Here is some advice which I feel you have skipped completely over... where is your list of questions that you put to the business owner on what they need?

Whilst there are statements above about the customer not always knowing what they need, that doesn't mean you do stupid crap like use a forum software for a business website. That type of statement is often more equipment reflective to cater expansion of their business.
Yes I've been skipping over a lot in this thread which I'll come back and read later because I'm busy.

Last edited:

4 office licenses run at about 250 each. Pretty standard pricing model.

About Konica, Page Scope Mobile ain't all that. Would rather them use an Airprint or Cloudprint compatible printer. I will look up Optiplex.

Last edited:
Prime use we had for Google Apps was the calender and the email. Some used the Docs since there was not a share point for them to save files to (and what they did save was not important - all related information was available on the network in a read only folder).
You could always install the network attached storage, give each a folder on it to save their documents to and then have that folder also sync with Google Drive. M.S. Office is THE standard for office documents in the U.S. Some areas are using LibreOffice as a replacement - but that has issues of it's own.
This way sounds best. We live in the Panhandle Florida which is subject to a lot of hurricanes so if the internet goes down they'll still have their stuff on the NAS but then if say for instance that NAS gets damaged during a hurricane they'll still have their stuff on google drive.

For the record, my company (~120 employees) use Google for utterly everything (docs, calendar, mail, etc.) and haven't had any real big problems.

For the record, my company (~120 employees) use Google for utterly everything (docs, calendar, mail, etc.) and haven't had any real big problems.
The company I work at now uses Google Calendar and Google Docs Spreadsheet. My ISP job before that mostly used Microsoft Excel but gradually drifted towards Google Docs Spreadsheet. I'm surprised to see how popular Google Docs Spreadsheet is in big companies.

Top Bottom