Any IT Guys/Girls Here?

DRE

I was offered an IT job but have never done this before although I am experienced in some IT aspects.

It's a new company so they are starting from scratch.

Basically I need to come up with both the software and hardware needed for:

3 offices, reception and conference room

4 desktops. 1 big printer tied to them all

Phone system comes with extension

Internet access.

They also want me to make them a website with their emails with that site's domain name and a form that customers can fill out. That I'm sure I can do in Wordpress.

IT guy here.. was there a question there?
One thing not in your list that I would add is a server to manage everything. eg.. email, work groups, domain, firewalls etc.

Last edited:
IT guy here.. was there a question there?
One thing not in your list that I would add is a server to manage everything. eg.. email, work groups, firewalls etc.
I asked her if she wants to add a server she said no.

Which leaves me with Windows 7 Homegroup Sharing lol

Your gonna want a server. You could get by with using a desktop. But if you are going to do it, do it right. What happens if they start to grow? Also your gonna need switches, cabling, firewall. Are they going to go with VOIP for a phone system? Might want a small rack for the switches too.

Your gonna want a server. You could get by with using a desktop. But if you are going to do it, do it right. What happens if they start to grow? Also your gonna need switches, cabling, firewall. Are they going to go with VOIP for a phone system? Might want a small rack for the switches too.
lol you should've seen her face when I mentioned she needs a server.

So I'll have to do something else. Using one Desktop as the main computer that everything is connected to basically.

If it was up to me and it sorta is but not really... I would prefer all macs but there's a learning curve associated with macs and my experience is limited to one year and a half with macs, versus PCs I've been messing with for years. Dont know how to network that stuff. I just like how simple macs are and less viruses.

I asked her if she wants to add a server she said no.
The client doesn't always know what they need ;)

So I'll have to do something else. Using one Desktop as the main computer that everything is connected to basically.

Judge-Judy-Shake-My-Head-Gif_zps3e0e5a33.gif

Information Security guy here, but I can provide some basic advisory.
So you do basic password and anti-virus and firewall setups? Like what software do you use for that? I was thinking about ESET for both anti-virus and Firewall.

So you do basic password and anti-virus and firewall setups? Like what software do you use for that? I was thinking about ESET for both anti-virus and Firewall.

First off your gonna want a domain. Maybe even active directory? Probably a Sonicwall for the firewall. And some sort of CORP antivirus.

The question was what software and hardware is suggested for an office setting with networking.
server 2012
windows 7
kapersky
acp
databackup

you'll also want a vpn of some sorts
and something like GFI Remove Management is nice

Last edited:
What are the desktops being used for? If its basic word/internet/email/etc then just get a bunch of entry level Dell machines, nothing too fancy.

Printer wise get a networked printer, if she hasn't got wired ethernet in the building you need to sort out something there. Wireless will be 'ok' if its a small building, homeplugs are even an option.

Could do with a bit more background on the building and usage to make some decent recommendations however.

Personally I'd insist on a server, even if it was only a low-powered compact one, anything is better than piggybacking off a desktop.

You've also got other considerations such as backups. Try selling the server to her as a way of backing up all the machines and make it clear that without it, WHEN a drive fails, they WILL loose all their data.

I do have to agree with Adam above as well. Why are you taking on something like this if you know nothing about it? Experience with computers != an IT 'expert' (or in this case an IT consultant)

No ship Sherlock. Isn't that what I just said in my first post? :rolleyes:
So was this job a training, on hands learning job, or were they really looking for an IT?

Because if they were looking for a real IT, you shouldn't have taken the job. You should have been up front with them and said you were not exactly qualified for the position they were offering you.

This is a start up company and its growth and success is going to rest on the individual who set ups the technology around it. There is more than just your job on the line.

Last edited:
1 x Internet Connection
1 x Internet Router (the ISP should provide one usually)
1 x Firewall (if not part of the router)
1 x X port switch (where X is the number of ports required for everything current plus a couple of years expansion)
1 x Server (you can buy a server preinstalled with Windows Server Essentials, includes Exchange, Active Directory etc. all on one box)
X number of PCs, screens, keyboards and mice.
X number of licenses for Microsoft Office Professional (check out volume licensing pricing too - usually cheaper than retail)
X number of printers (ensure it supports LAN)
X number of anti-virus licenses.

Top Bottom