XF 1.4 Any faster way to upgrade?

kirkmc

I've been running XenForo for a few weeks, and I got an email about an update today. Unfortunately, I find the installation and update process to be problematic. I have very low bandwidth (100 k upload), and it took about 3-4 hours to upload XenForo when I first installed it. If I follow the upgrade instructions, uploading and merging files, I'll have to shut down my forum for several hours.

There has to be a better way. I upgrade my WordPress sites in less than a minute, and don't even have to upload files to my FTP server on my own. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Are you uploading the files individually (unzipped)? You can upload a zip and extract on the server through cpanel or using SSH if you have the ability.

The add-on install and upgrade can be useful.

I have a question. I used CPanel and uploaded the zip file, then unzipped and moved the contents of the files to my public_html directory. It did not ask me if I wanted to overwrite the files but it looks like it did. From there I did nothing else.

I go to my site and all it says is "the board is currently being upgraded. Please check back later." It's been 10 minutes. How long should it take and did I do something wrong?

I don't get it why you guys give me a ZIP with ALL files, when there is only a very changes here and there. (I know that you don't know which version I run, and therefor have to do it, but I am an ignorant paying customer)

Please implement a one-click-server-to-server-upgrade-thingy like wordpress.... Thanksalot!

Yes.
While I have no problems performing the update myself its sad that there is no simple update process that can be performed directly on the site.
Also I tend not to check my emails for long periods of time.

Luckily I was checking today and saw that there was a new update for XenForo ( I purchased yesterday).
Why is there at the very least not a notification directly on the site itself for administrators telling them there is a new update for xenforo.

If you "watch" the announcements forum you will receive an alert when a new thread is posted. There's your site notification :)

How will that give me a notification on my website when I visit it? I dont plan on visiting these forums on xenforo.com on a regular basis, the only reason i'm here is to try and find a solution or make a suggestion/feature request.

How will that give me a notification on my website when I visit it? I dont plan on visiting these forums on xenforo.com on a regular basis, the only reason i'm here is to try and find a solution or make a suggestion/feature request.
That's not the main idea. If you oftenly check your emails, by watching the announcement thread, you'll also get email alerts about any new releases. I'd assume website's owner nowadays will check their mails often.

That's not the main idea. If you oftenly check your emails, by watching the announcement thread, you'll also get email alerts about any new releases. I'd assume website's owner nowadays will check their mails often.
Maybe you guys should read my original message again where I said "I tend not to check my emails for long periods of time"

XenForo already sends me an email about updates since I have a valid license, what would getting a second email do?

Maybe you should check a bit more often then. It's still a valid communication method in the 21st century for many people and companies. :)
And if you are older than 35 years this is a valid point for you. All XenForo-Owners below that age (who rely on WhatsApp, Snapchat, FB-Messenger etc) have to live with this ancient tradition.

Another suggestion for doing a faster upgrade if slow FTP is the issue. Wouldn't something like this work?
  1. Make a copy of the current forum directory
  2. FTP the upgrade files to this new directory
  3. Switch the folders
  4. Run the upgrade

And if you are older than 35 years this is a valid point for you. All XenForo-Owners below that age (who rely on WhatsApp, Snapchat, FB-Messenger etc) have to live with this ancient tradition.
I use social media such as those. Email will continue to be a valid method for some time - you're not going to get banks and companies communicating directly with customers using those apps for various reasons.

Anyway email isn't the only way that XenForo communicates new updates, they are also announced on their Facebook page and Twitter.

Another suggestion for doing a faster upgrade if slow FTP is the issue. Wouldn't something like this work?
  1. Make a copy of the current forum directory
  2. FTP the upgrade files to this new directory
  3. Switch the folders
  4. Run the upgrade
Quicker still is to upload the zip file and then unzip this using the command line.

Top Bottom