XF 1.4 Any faster way to upgrade?

kirkmc

I've been running XenForo for a few weeks, and I got an email about an update today. Unfortunately, I find the installation and update process to be problematic. I have very low bandwidth (100 k upload), and it took about 3-4 hours to upload XenForo when I first installed it. If I follow the upgrade instructions, uploading and merging files, I'll have to shut down my forum for several hours.

There has to be a better way. I upgrade my WordPress sites in less than a minute, and don't even have to upload files to my FTP server on my own. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

c'mon people. Let's not tell each other which methods of communication we should use or not.
The question is: why doesn't my very own xenforo check ever 6 hours if there is an update available and inform me if so when I am logged in as an admin? Or at least every time I log in at the admin panel...

Yeah, sorry, wasn't trying to do that. Oh well, either way, I actually thought that the idea itself was good.
But yeah, because I've been subscribing to the announcement forum instead, I haven't really thought much about it.

c'mon people. Let's not tell each other which methods of communication we should use or not.
The question is: why doesn't my very own xenforo check ever 6 hours if there is an update available and inform me if so when I am logged in as an admin? Or at least every time I log in at the admin panel...
Probably because xenforo doesn't want thousands of installations querying its site every 6 hours. That and the versioning isn't exposed at present for someone to hook into.

You have many methods to be notified of updates:
  • Watch xenforo announcements forum
  • Follow xenforo on social networks
  • Check your emails
  • Watch xenforo announcements rss feed
  • Install one of the one-click-update addon such as install and upgrade by Jon W.
I am pretty sure that (even for those under 35) there are plenty of methods to be notified. It appears you just want everything done for you.

Probably because xenforo doesn't want thousands of installations querying its site every 6 hours. That and the versioning isn't exposed at present for someone to hook into.

Seems Add-on Install & Upgrade from @Jon W is already doing this, so at the very least XF has a good idea of what querying is going on.

Also @Liam W also has released a XenForo Update add-on which shows versions in a drop down.

No, just the things I pay for. Like security updates, where speed is a vital part thereof.
As things won't change until at least XenForo 2.0 (which I'm guessing won't be available until 2016) then if updates are vital you and others will need to regularly check the current methods of communication more regularly. Hopefully 2.0 will provide info in the ACP about updates.

I am fine, I use this chrome plugin which nags me for all xenforo alerts I have on all xenforo-forums I am member of. (like your reply) I just wanted to give my voice to others who do not live in front of there screen 24/7 ;)

There's no detriment to dropping by once a week, or month even. If you foot the bill, I'll arrange a carrier pigeon to stop by for you each upgrade :)

Top Bottom