Any Addonchat users?

FredC

I noticed until yesterday Chris hadn't even heard of XF. personally this is one of the biggest show stoppers for me regarding a move away from vB to XF on my most active site.. If you use Addonchat free or premium please hit the addonchat forum and tell Chris we want this..... http://www.addonchat.com/

you do not need Chris or his addonChat .... the slow movers will eventually disappear ;)
ohhh but i do.. Most my domains end with -chat.com, that chat room is rocking almost every single night and sees good activity all day everyday. Whats a Site called doberman-chat to do without its hallmark chatroom? :cool:

Yes, but is that "chat" indexed like a forum thread would be ?
I guess i dont understand what that has to do with giving my members a place to chat. Sure it slows down posting but its great for retention.. My members would flip if it was left behind in a software switch.. Addonchat is hosted on their servers so its really just the wrapper function that makes it the perfect chat solution forme.. For example some people really really like Comet Chat. But i personally hate it.. same as IRC.. its not anything personal its just personal preference. as far as indexing why would you want that in a chat.. I must be missing something?

My point is, your forum suffers if all conversations are on chat.

In addition, if you and I discuss this on IM, what good is it doing for this forum (Xenforo) where the conversation started ????

Google to webmasters: "Content is King"
In the forum sure in a chat room not so much.. many many threads are born in the chatroom on my forum.. Leaving it behind would do more damage then good in regards to forum content.. I already rank #2 in my niche. and number one is owned by Vertical scope with a 5 year head start.. My pockets dont go as deep as VS and fighting them off is a daily struggle.. lol hate that i had to post that in a public forum but its true...

Chat is where members get to know one another, build trust etc, etc.. A chat room is a great way to build a close knit community.. and in the end promotes posting on the forum.. I understand all communities are different, but when you are dealing with Pets for example it can sometimes be a challenge to get members to trust you, Plus its always so off topic indexing those conversation would probably do more harm then good on a site that boasts itself as an educational resource.

Its my story and im sticking to it. :p

Cool man, but most forum owners are hungry for content to be indexed, if you think chat helps you garner that all the more power to you.

Its my story and im sticking to it. :p

You are on a right track .. I agree with you on this one, I sometimes delete irrelevant threads and posts. not only for google's sake but for my members as well :)
I try to keep it as simple and to the point for them ;)

My point is, your forum suffers if all conversations are on chat.

In addition, if you and I discuss this on IM, what good is it doing for this forum (Xenforo) where the conversation started ????

It could do alot if that chat resulted in the creation of this thread or a similar one. ;)

Cool man, but most forum owners are hungry for content to be indexed, if you think chat helps you garner that all the more power to you.
I get your point.. And actually agree with you but in this instance i am the number one privately owned forum in my niche. My Direct Competitor is a wanna be IB. i get a good deal of fresh content daily.. I guess in reality my chat room participants only represent at best 10% of my memberships. but they are by far the most active in the forums to. so in my case i would encourage my members to chat, because of its past history of making top contributors out of its use. ;)

I use the free version of Addonchat and I would have some very unhappy members if it were taken away from them. While I agree that "Content is king", I also believe if you cultivate a large, happy member base, content will grow on it's own.

Google to webmasters: "Content is King"
Thats exactly why a chat is so great. It keeps the small talk and off topic discussion from the board, effectively leaving more real content in forums.
And users spend more time on your site due to the social interaction. Its an extra reason to visit your site. And users can help each other and communicate about common projects, like writing articles or other things that improve the forum.

Chat has helped my site a lot to grow. Both in activity as financially. Chat access is for premium members. It pays for a good part of the bills...

Does addonchat have usergroup integration? Can you set chat permission per usergroup?

I really don't think what you are saying is correct, because instead of discussing within forum threads, you have the entire community sending IM's to each other, I really see no need for this, in fact I hate it when folks ask me questions via PM that could be posted on the forums, so to me "chat boxes" have little value.

If you have people paying you to use "chat" all the more power to you.

Top Bottom