Anti spam laws and GDPR - Newsletters?

Alvin63

I'm setting up a weekly newsletter (it's more of a "latest threads" one than an actual newsletter with photos and articles etc). Which automatically goes out to members. Someone has just told me this might be breaching the anti spam laws. Can anyone confirm please?

For GDPR compliance you must be able to prove your members that receive the newsletter have "Opted In" to receive the newsletter. In XenForo your newsletters are covered by the default "Privacy Policy" included with your XenForo installation. Accepting the "Privacy Policy" when signing up on your site opts the member into receiving newsletters.

If you have not altered the "Privacy Policy" it will include this:

1695997696629.webp

Thanks very much. No I haven’t altered the privacy policy and it says we may use your email address to inform you of activity in our site.

So basically by signing up that means they accept both the terms and conditions and the privacy policy?

On the only site I actively use a newsletter on, we provided a perk for people to opt in to the newsletter (one time), and made a big announcement.

We had some people who would opt in, then opt out, but overall, it led to I think 30k people subscribing in the first week or so.

Top Bottom