Another +1 for 1and1 (UK)

That sounds completely wrong :confused:

If you have a linux package you definately get plesk.

Your screenshot above even shows the linux package has plesk included. It also shows on a managed you don't get root access.

Managed servers are for people who don't want to mess with settings, but need the power of a dedicated setup.

Which is exactly what i want, similar to yourself, however it seems that they dont supply plesk on managed (on the managed in the screenshot plesk has a dash through it, whereas ticked in the unmanaged ones). - which doesnt make sense... You create all your sites via their dedicated 1and1 CP... created one just in the 1and1 cpanel....

Attachments

• managed1.webp
    managed1.webp
    8.6 KB · Views: 9
What I'd like is a managed solution as I know nothing about servers - where they look after security, installation, etc - but where I can get them to change and tweak the config as per my request to tune it up for XenForo. But it seems you either have unmanaged and you're on your own, or managed and as said above this is just like shared hosting but much faster.

thats exactly what they sales guy said - the difference is that managed is a "large" more powerful shared hosting server, however unmanaged you get control of everything.

I'm after exactly what Ingenious said - the best of both worlds :) I can put up with an unmanaged, however it's just more work updating stuff :| :D

Slavik,

You sure you're not on an unmanaged service? Looking at the pics you have posted above, you have the "your options for linux are as follows" and a choice of OS to install. Currently (as i currently have both the managed and unmanaged on my 1and1 profile) you dont get the option to pick the OS etc on the managed - but you do on the unmanaged under server administration -> server re-image...

You also had in your original post "subject Your Root server is ready!" from the email - their managed servers arent root servers - since no root access - as you in fact said above!!

Oh i'm all confused now :D

Paul

Attachments

• servermanaged.webp
    servermanaged.webp
    40.3 KB · Views: 13
  • serverunmanaged.webp
    serverunmanaged.webp
    41.9 KB · Views: 17
Slavik,

You sure you're not on an unmanaged service? Looking at the pics you have posted above, you have the "your options for linux are as follows" and a choice of OS to install. Currently (as i currently have both the managed and unmanaged on my 1and1 profile) you dont get the option to pick the OS etc on the managed - but you do on the unmanaged under server administration -> server re-image...

You also had in your original post "subject Your Root server is ready!" from the email - their managed servers arent root servers - since no root access - as you in fact said above!!

Oh i'm all confused now :D

Paul

Yes both of my servers are unmanaged. I think you may have miss-read somewhere that I was on managed maybe?

And yes with plesks thats exactly as it should be. If you are on an UNMANAGED server, you get plesk to do all the management yourself.

If you are on a managed server, you dont get plesk, and its all done through the 1 and 1 control panel.

Phew :D I thought i was going mad there for one minute :D Sorry if i panicked a little lol .

I think i misread or misinterpreted "They don't offer cpanel hosting, however if you use a managed server you will get a panel similar to the one here which is functional" as that being the one you had lol....

No worries - now just waiting for everything to be built :)

This is Slavik's testimonial thread, but at the risk of taking it slightly off topic...
What I'd like is a managed solution as I know nothing about servers - where they look after security, installation, etc - but where I can get them to change and tweak the config as per my request to tune it up for XenForo...
I'm after exactly what Ingenious said - the best of both worlds :) I can put up with an unmanaged, however it's just more work updating stuff :| :D
ServInt.net

Just to follow up - everything all up, everything built, all working (and seems nice and fast, however probably because it's just me on there at the moment!).

One thing to watch tho - even on the smallest dedicated package, you get 500Gb drives - however they create the partitions rather small i.e. /var is only 4gig. Threw me last night, since i was there trying to unarchive a 3.5Gb file, only to find "run out of room" messages, which of course i just laughed at with a "yeh yeh, i have 500Gb there".... Found out that you have to resize the partition (rather advisable since Plesk stores http for the sites in /var). They have a guide on their FAQ's which takes you through it step-by-step :)

Just need to sort out decent firewall rules etc to keep the hackerz out, and hopefully ready to rock and roll!!

Thx to Slavik for the heads up :)

Paul

Just to follow up - everything all up, everything built, all working (and seems nice and fast, however probably because it's just me on there at the moment!).

One thing to watch tho - even on the smallest dedicated package, you get 500Gb drives - however they create the partitions rather small i.e. /var is only 4gig. Threw me last night, since i was there trying to unarchive a 3.5Gb file, only to find "run out of room" messages, which of course i just laughed at with a "yeh yeh, i have 500Gb there".... Found out that you have to resize the partition (rather advisable since Plesk stores http for the sites in /var). They have a guide on their FAQ's which takes you through it step-by-step :)

Just need to sort out decent firewall rules etc to keep the hackerz out, and hopefully ready to rock and roll!!

Thx to Slavik for the heads up :)

Paul

The unallocated space was left that was due to complaints that previously users were unable to allocate space where they wanted, eg to /usr or /home opposed to /var.

Are you using plesk 10 or plesk sb panel? If using sb panel I would suggest doing a server re-image to centos with plesk 10, the small business panel is somewhat crap from experience.

For my.cnf you probably want something like

Code:
[mysqld]
query_cache_limit=1M
query_cache_size=64M
query_cache_type=1
max_connections=3000
max_user_connections=600
interactive_timeout=100
wait_timeout=100
connect_timeout=10
thread_cache_size=512
key_buffer=512M
join_buffer_size=2M
max_allowed_packet=32M
table_cache=1024
sort_buffer_size=2M
read_buffer_size=2M
read_rnd_buffer_size=3072K
max_connect_errors=10
thread_concurrency=8
myisam_sort_buffer_size=128M
skip-locking
[myisamchk]
key_buffer=256M
sort_buffer=256M
read_buffer=64M
write_buffer=64M

Are you using plesk 10 or plesk sb panel? If using sb panel I would suggest doing a server re-image to centos with plesk 10, the small business panel is somewhat crap from experience.

Ooh no, Plesk 10, not the SB panel... kept well away from that - in my experience anything with "small business" = restricted :)

Thx for the conf - will take a closer look tonight when i can get into it :)

Cheers
Paul

I've ALWAYS had terrible service and billing problems with their hosting plans.

They are the only online business in which I know their technical support number by heart.

The unallocated space was left that was due to complaints that previously users were unable to allocate space where they wanted, eg to /usr or /home opposed to /var.

For my.cnf you probably want something like

Code:
[mysqld]
query_cache_limit=1M
query_cache_size=64M
query_cache_type=1
max_connections=3000
max_user_connections=600
interactive_timeout=100
wait_timeout=100
connect_timeout=10
thread_cache_size=512
key_buffer=512M
join_buffer_size=2M
max_allowed_packet=32M
table_cache=1024
sort_buffer_size=2M
read_buffer_size=2M
read_rnd_buffer_size=3072K
max_connect_errors=10
thread_concurrency=8
myisam_sort_buffer_size=128M
skip-locking
[myisamchk]
key_buffer=256M
sort_buffer=256M
read_buffer=64M
write_buffer=64M

Slavik,

Currently my mysql config is as follows, does the above still apply if i just slot it in there???

Code:
[mysqld]
set-variable=local-infile=0
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

# Disabling symbolic-links is recommended to prevent assorted security risks;
# to do so, uncomment this line:
# symbolic-links=0

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Cheers

Paul

Slavik,

Currently my mysql config is as follows, does the above still apply if i just slot it in there???

Code:
[mysqld]
set-variable=local-infile=0
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
user=mysql
# Default to using old password format for compatibility with mysql 3.x
# clients (those using the mysqlclient10 compatibility package).
old_passwords=1

# Disabling symbolic-links is recommended to prevent assorted security risks;
# to do so, uncomment this line:
# symbolic-links=0

[mysqld_safe]
log-error=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Cheers

Paul

Yea just copy it under.

I had dealings with 1and1 about 5/6 years ago and all I held with them was a domain. It was just for a personal site and it was hosted somewhere on shared hosting for less than 99p a month. The domain was dirt cheap... and I cancelled it after a year. About 2 weeks after I cancelled it, I get a renewal letter through the post to tell me I need to pay them £79.99 (yeah, you read it correct) to have the domain removed from their site. I didn't reply or do anything about it, simply shredded the letter and then a couple days later they ring me up asking why I had not paid the £79.99 fee. I pretty much told them to stick it and never heard from them again.

Since that though I'd never go back to them for anything what so ever, even if they were the best company out there now.

I had dealings with 1and1 about 5/6 years ago and all I held with them was a domain. It was just for a personal site and it was hosted somewhere on shared hosting for less than 99p a month. The domain was dirt cheap... and I cancelled it after a year. About 2 weeks after I cancelled it, I get a renewal letter through the post to tell me I need to pay them £79.99 (yeah, you read it correct) to have the domain removed from their site. I didn't reply or do anything about it, simply shredded the letter and then a couple days later they ring me up asking why I had not paid the £79.99 fee. I pretty much told them to stick it and never heard from them again.

Since that though I'd never go back to them for anything what so ever, even if they were the best company out there now.

Are you sure that was actually from 1&1? I've had dozens of domains lapse with them over the last 10 years and the only letters I've had demanding money are from third party scammers, nothing to do with 1&1 but carefully worded to make you think you need to act. They get your details from the public domain records. I have never had any demands from them for money for cancelled domains, they remain IMO one of the best hosts for domain names and email.

Chances are it wasn't 1&1, and was more likely just someone who tries to scam off domain renewals.

I've also gotten people trying to sell me my own domain :rolleyes:.

Chances...
*Had to clip quotes as posting on iPad and no scroll box in text area!*
My registration with 1and1 was private as with all my registered domains so I doubt anyone would of been able to access my name and address that way. It could well of been 'sold' to a company trying to make a quick buck but I'm sure I remember looking at the phone number and it was a number registered to 1and1. Like I said in my first post, it was some years ago so could of just been an error or what not and they may well of changed since then. I always see them advertising in magazines etc though!

10 minutes later, he calls back. Informs me due to being with them so long he knocked off 6 months of payments off the new server contract, and in addition he has pushed my order to the front of the que.... 1 hour later I received the email through.

Whilst that sounds great for you, as a potential customer it would worry to know that they push certain people back in the queue for more 'favoured clients'

Whilst that sounds great for you, as a potential customer it would worry to know that they push certain people back in the queue for more 'favoured clients'

When ive spend £150-£200 per month for the last 8 years with them (nearly £20000) , I would expect some favorable treatment. Getting put to the front of the que for a new server seems like a nice gesture to me

Pretty much every host (and most companies) will give preferential treatment to longer term clients and/or people who buy in bulk.

When ive spend £150-£200 per month for the last 8 years with them (nearly £20000) , I would expect some favorable treatment. Getting put to the front of the que for a new server seems like a nice gesture to me

Pretty much every host (and most companies) will give preferential treatment to longer term clients and/or people who buy in bulk.

That was my point, every host with an ounce of sense will make the sort of concessions in the OP for big, reliable customers.

Top Bottom