Another +1 for 1and1 (UK)

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Rang up earlier to order a second dedicated server. Spoke to some sales guy on the phone who said due to the high demand the wait would be around 3 days for set up. Thats fine, nothing I didn't expect.

However, an hour later I got a call back, there was a problem with my credit card info, (had put the month wrong on the expiry date). Ok, sorted it all out, but as the guy looked over my account he saw that I have had another dedicated server, various vps's and domains etc with them for 8+ years. Never missed a payment, nothing ever out of check. He tells me to leave it with him.

10 minutes later, he calls back. Informs me due to being with them so long he knocked off 6 months of payments off the new server contract, and in addition he has pushed my order to the front of the que.... 1 hour later I received the email through.

date Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:50 PM
subject Your Root server is ready!
signed-by 1and1.co.uk

Now thats customer service for being a loyal customer :)

6 months of free dedicated server hosting and bumped to the front of a 3 day waiting list ;)

So once again, my reccomendation for UK customers. 1and1.co.uk

You must be some lucky guy Slavik :D If you had purchased that server from 1und1 (Germany) I would so sure you would have the same experience :D

You must be some lucky guy Slavik :D If you had purchased that server from 1und1 (Germany) I would so sure you would have the same experience :D

Im a man of loyalities, if someone doesn't give me a reason to doubt them, i wont. Ive never doubted 1and1 in my time with them and as such have never needed to use someone else :)

I had a quick look at their page but it's not that easy to find their plans.

What would I be looking at for a VPS or dedicated server with cPanel?

My experience with 1&1 has been the opposite. I have spent a few years migrating most of my sites away from them. Fed up with their slow (shared hosting) plans, fed up with their overseas call centres who haven't got a clue what's going on, fed up with their awful tech support. I still use them for domains and email though, can't fault that side of it.

Maybe once you get to dedicated server level they give you better support, Slavik how do you find the performance of the servers, are they managed, and did you speak to someone in the UK or where you farmed off to a non-UK call centre?

Maybe once you get to dedicated server level they give you better support, Slavik how do you find the performance of the servers, are they managed, and did you speak to someone in the UK or where you farmed off to a non-UK call centre?

The servers offer great performance. Its a little limited on specific configuration options eg if you want 15k sas drives don't hold your breath, but they are configured for maxium reliablity for the level of server you have. (eg a dual core server has a different configuration when delivered than a quad core etc).

Support wise, when chosing how you want the server set up, you have an option of a managed server / vps, but this gives you less controll obviously at the benefit of having them manage it for you. If you chose linux or windows vps / server then the support is "limited" as they expect you to be able to manage it on your own, however thats not to say they won't help you sort something out if its beyond your level.

All the people I spoke to were in the UK.

I had a quick look at their page but it's not that easy to find their plans.

What would I be looking at for a VPS or dedicated server with cPanel?

Here is my affilicate link / none affiliated link if your looking to purchase one

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/Server?affiliate_id=247747

http://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order/Server

They don't offer cpanel hosting, however if you use a managed server you will get a panel similar to the one here which is functional

managed.webp

If you go for linux hosting you have the option of Plesk being pre-installed, which I find is a much more powerful than cpanel, and possibly even more user friendly. If you want to see how a client plesk login looks I can set up one for you to have a look at.

Your options for linux are as follows.

linux.webp

If you take a dedicated server you also get a 250gb network attached backup included for free to use if you want.

Do you mean non-UK as in USA? Or to locations where costs are less...
(obviously I know nothing about them)

Non-UK as in, off-shoring their contact centres to places of cheap labour. Their shared hosting is based in Germany. 1&1 in the US have substantially cheaper packages but they won't let you register for a US package, from the UK. I remembered another reason why I migrated away. Up until recently the maximum mysql database size on shared hosting (even £30pm packages) was 100mb! They have now upped it to 1Gb, I reckon they must have lost a few customers because of that.

Thanks for the info Slavik.

PS. Slavik are you hosting any forums on your dedicated servers, if so, any XenForo and what's the performance like?

PS. Slavik are you hosting any forums on your dedicated servers, if so, any XenForo and what's the performance like?

Several forums, including www.p8ntballer-forums.com and our xenforo development site http://xen.p8ntballer.com

As you can see, hopefully the load times should be near instantanious and that is with some basic server tweaking as outlined here > http://xenforo.com/community/threads/apache-server-tuning-thread.13634/

Since that post I am running 2 magento sites, 3 wordpress sites, 12 normal static html sites (most with a lot of trafic none the less), the p8ntballer forums, several smaller forums hosted as a favor to friends, email hosting for 100+ people and a couple of other applications.

It chugs along nicely :)

It's very quick :) Is that a dual core server or one of their more expensive ones?

Edit - just read what the server is in your other thread!

Slavik,
How do ya find the Parallels Plesk Panel? I'm used to using Cpanel, so wondered how it compared?!

Unsure whether to just stick with a VPS, or pick up a lower end Dedicated... (or maybe just stay where i am!!!)

Slavik,
How do ya find the Parallels Plesk Panel? I'm used to using Cpanel, so wondered how it compared?!

Unsure whether to just stick with a VPS, or pick up a lower end Dedicated... (or maybe just stay where i am!!!)

https://plesk10.demo.parallels.com:8443/ Login admin password panel
Then go to domains on the left hand menu, this is where you would set up your own hosting obviously. On the domain list click the "control panel" link and it will open up the plesk admin from where you would manage your site :)

Having nightmares with 1and1 :(

Ordered XL dual core on Friday, with an estimated completion time of 24 hours. What no-one told me was that it all goes through their anti-fraud team, who require physical verification (i.e. copy of driving licence/passport to be sent through), and they dont work on weekends.

So have waited all weekend, sent the info at 2am this morning when i received a mail from them, and was given access to my account this lunchtime (around 20 mins ago) - only to find that they had given me a managed server, which doesnt cover access to my.cnf or root access etc, the opposite to what i was led to believe - YOU ONLY GET ROOT ACCESS ON UNMANAGED SERVERS - i was advised that the managed server was a root server.... I couldnt work out why it gave me no ip addresses in the CP etc. and no plesk on Managed... apparently i'm advised by their sames that managed is basically a glorified webhosting.

So it looks like another 24 hours minimum wait for me. If they try to charge me again i'm going to go mental.....

YOU ONLY GET ROOT ACCESS ON UNMANAGED SERVERS

Is this not the case on every host? If you are having them manage it for you then they obviously don't want you messing around with the settings.

Sorry to hear of your problems though.

Also, it seems that you dont get the 250Gb backup storage if you have the managed backup...

Attachments

• unmanaged.webp
    unmanaged.webp
    35.6 KB · Views: 16
  • managed.webp
    managed.webp
    34.8 KB · Views: 18
Is this not the case on every host? If you are having them manage it for you then they obviously don't want you messing around with the settings.

Sorry to hear of your problems though.

Indeed, however it also means that you dont get access to my.cnf, which you obviously need to tune the DB :D Also i was advised if you have the unmanaged you cant have the Plesk, which sounds different to your setup - maybe they have changed what they offer now :(

Hey it happens - not your fault! Just cant believe the hassles ive had :D

Indeed, however it also means that you dont get access to my.cnf, which you obviously need to tune the DB :D Also i was advised if you have the unmanaged you cant have the Plesk, which sounds different to your setup - maybe they have changed what they offer now :(

Hey it happens - not your fault! Just cant believe the hassles ive had!

That sounds completely wrong :confused:

If you have a linux package you definately get plesk.

Your screenshot above even shows the linux package has plesk included. It also shows on a managed you don't get root access.

Managed servers are for people who don't want to mess with settings, but need the power of a dedicated setup.

What I'd like is a managed solution as I know nothing about servers - where they look after security, installation, etc - but where I can get them to change and tweak the config as per my request to tune it up for XenForo. But it seems you either have unmanaged and you're on your own, or managed and as said above this is just like shared hosting but much faster.

Top Bottom